News
I’m Not Leaving PDP, But Coalition ‘ll Challenge APC – Atiku
Atiku Abubakar, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has dismissed insinuations that he was planning to dump the party for ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.
Speaking with PDP women members of the Board of Trustees, BoT, who visited him to help save the party from total collapse, the former Vice President insisted on a coalition to push out the APC-led government in 2027.
Atiku Abubakar said that the coalition movement was not just a political strategy, but a necessity to challenge the ruling party and rebuild the country.
Vanguard gathered that Atiku told the women, led by the former Minister of Women Affairs and ex- National Women Leader of the party, Hajia Inna Ciroma, that a coalition is workable, and would assure good results.
According to him, the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, the ruling party in the Second Republic, had formed an alliance with the Nigeria Peoples Party, NPP, and it was called NPN-NPP accord.
He added that when the coalition is achieved, the name of PDP will not be affected.
Atiku Abubakar was said to have told the PDP women about the status of the pan-Nigerian coalition that he was building in conjunction with other leaders and stakeholders across political divides and regions.
He informed them that the movement was being powered by Nigerians desirous of reclaiming and rebuilding their country from across the nooks and crannies of our country.
What he told us – PDP women
When Vanguard called the leader of the PDP women BoT on the nature of the visit, Ciroma said: “We, as PDP Board of Trustees, BoT, members, the conscience of the party, decided to take this bold decision to come into the crisis the party is going through.
“We, as mothers, are worried and disturbed with what the party is going through at the moment. We are disturbed that the party has no leadership and any organisation without leadership cannot stand.
“We are worried and disturbed. We cannot fold our hands and see things go bad in our great party.
“We decided to visit former Vice President Atiku Abubakar to complain about what we are not happy with, to brainstorm with him on the way forward, on how to save the party from total collapse.
“We told him that there must be leadership and direction in the party. We had very fruitful discussions with the 2023 Presidential candidate of the party.
“He told us that he was not leaving the party, as he discussed much on the coalition and the need for us to key in.
“We also discussed party funding; that parties should be well funded so that no single parson can control the party.
“Based on funding, parties must belong to the people and everyone has a role to play in the growth of the party.”
… defections, crisis
Recall that disturbed by the persistent internal strife both before and after the 2023 elections, leading to increasing instability and divisions across the Party, PDP, women members of the Board of Trustees, BoT, moved in last week to save the party from what they described as total collapse.
Also following the gale of defections sweeping through the ranks and strongholds of the country’s leading opposition party, PDP, the BoT women took it upon themselves to help address the wave of defections and other internal crises that have plagued the party over the past years.
As part of the moves, the women last week Tuesday began the mission by having a marathon meeting with the Acting National Chairman, Amb. Umar Damagum, for over one and half hours at Wadata Plaza, PDP National Secretariat.
In order to achieve this, the BoT women constituted a team that will reach out to PDP governors, leaders, stakeholders and other members to discuss the problems, why the crisis and the way forward.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
News
Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.
More details later….
-
News2 days agoOgun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News2 days agoReserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels
-
News2 days agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
Health23 hours agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News24 hours agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
