Connect with us

News

PDP Governors Can’t Stop Coalition Train – Atiku

Published

on

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has fired back at Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governors who rejected coalition or merger with any other political party.

“Indeed, the Coalition Train has left the station and would have multiple stops to bring on board Nigerians of all shades” Atiku wrote on his X handle yesterday.

This comment is an indication that the former Presidential candidate and his political party have parted ways in the build-up to the 2027 elections.

He also gave a hint of likely dumping the PDP to realize his bid to contest the election.

He said: “Whatever vehicle that will give us good governance in the future of our children and grandchildren; that is the vehicle we are going to ride on”.

The PDP National Vice Chairman (Southsouth) Dan Orbih blamed the party’s protracted crisis on an entrenched interest in contesting every presidential election without respecting the provisions of the PDP constitution.

Although, he did not name the entrenched interest, Atiku had contested for president two times on PDP platform and one time, using the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) platform.

In their communiqué after their meeting in Ibadan on Monday, the governors said their decision on rejection of coalition, was taken after due consultation with all PDP party organ.

But at a meeting with a delegation of the PDP from Nasarawa State, Atiku insisted that the merger train had already left the station.

The team was led by Alhaji Jibirin Sabo Keana and members of National Opinion Leaders, headed by Yusuf Sheriff Banki.

“Yesterday, I met with a delegation of two groups, during which I briefed them about the status of the pan-Nigerian coalition that I am building in conjunction with other leaders and stakeholders across political divides and regions.

“I informed them that the Nigerian Movement is being powered by Nigerians desirous of reclaiming and rebuilding their country from across the nooks and crannies of our country.

“First was the meeting with a delegation of the PDP from Nasarawa State, led by Alhaji Jibirin Sabo Keana, and a delegation of National Opinion leaders, led by Yusuf Sheriff Banki,” he added.

Atiku also warned them against being distracted by minor financial offers that could jeopardise their future.

He said leaders from various parties, including the All Progressives Congress (APC), PDP, Labour Party (LP) and others, have been meeting to forge a new path towards a better Nigeria.

He referred to the initiative behind the coalition as “Sabuwar tafiya” in Hausa, translating to “a new pathway” in English.

Atiku, who was PDP presidential standard bearer in 2023 expressed optimism about announcing the coalition soon and appealed to the public to join the movement.

“Now, because of that, that’s why a number of us leaders from the parties I have mentioned – APC, PDP, Labour, and others – have come together to say we are going to have what I call in Hausa Sabuwar tafiya, which in English means a new path, a new pathway to a new Nigeria,” he added.

“And we have been meeting, and by the grace of God, very soon we will announce. We hope and we appeal to you all to be part of this movement.

“Whatever vehicle that will give us good governance in the future of our children and grandchildren; that is the vehicle we are going to ride on.

“Get to planning and working together and getting as many Nigerians as possible to get converted to this new pathway.”

Wike not the problem

According to Orbih, blaming the crisis tearing the PDP apart on Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike will amount to standing logic on its head.

He identified the real problem as those with entrenched interest in contesting every presidential election in flagrant disregard to the PDP constitution.

Orbih, also leader of the PDP Legacy Group in Edo, stated this while handing over the PDP new secretariat, he donated to the party on Wednesday in Benin.

He urged the Acting National Chairman, Ambassador Iliya Damagun to initiate congresses that would bring in new leaders capable of repositioning the PDP and restoring its lost glory.

Orbih said: “PDP is a strong and formidable party, but it still has challenges that we cannot afford to ignore or sweep under the carpet.

“Wike is not the party’s problem. The real issue is those who want to run every time without following the party’s constitutional guidelines.

“We must put our differences aside and work with sincere party members to rebuild and reposition the PDP for future political battles ahead.

“People are mocking the PDP and asking where we are, but I tell you today, the PDP in Edo is fully back.”

But a former PDP governorship candidate in Lagos, Segun Adewale disagreed with Chief Olabode George, who said that another shot at the presidency by Atiku on PDP ticket will kill the party.

Adewale, who said it was wrong for anyone to say the emergence of Atiku would undermine the party’s victory in 2027, contended that the chances of the party would rather be affected by anti-party activities and selfishness of some party leaders.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

Trending