News
Court Strikes Out Femi Falana, Falz’s N1bn Defamation Suit Against VeryDarkMan
A Lagos State High Court in Ikeja on Tuesday struck out the preliminary objection in the defamation suit filed by human rights lawyer Femi Falana, (SAN), and his son, popular musician Folarin Falana, also known as Falz, against social media personality Vincent Otse, popularly called VeryDarkMan.
Justice Mathias Dawodu struck out the suit following his discovery that the substantive suit was already before another court, rendering further proceedings before him unnecessary.
Neither the Falanas nor Otse was present at the hearing. However, counsel to the defendant, N.O. Alagbe, appearing on behalf of lead counsel Marvin Omorogbe, informed the court that an application dated April 11, 2025, and filed on April 14, 2025, had been brought to stay proceedings, pending judgment by Justice Azeez in a parallel matter.
Justice Dawodu responded that the said application was not before his court and questioned why he was being troubled with the matter when the substantive suit was already before another court.
Counsel to the Falanas, Omotayo Olatunbosun, told the court that although he received the application at 4:15 pm late on Monday afternoon, the preliminary objection was properly scheduled and ready for hearing.
He accused the defence of attempting to stall the case and cited a Supreme Court decision which held that courts are not bound to act on applications not yet in their files.
He therefore urged the judge to proceed with the business of the day.
After listening to the submissions of counsel, Justice Dawodu ruled that after considering the matter at hand, the new application filed by defence but not in his file does not warrant going ahead with the suit.
“Consequently, this suit is hereby struck out,” the judge held.
The Falanas had filed the N1bn defamation suit against Otse, demanding N500m each in damages over a video posted on his social media platforms.
In the video, Otse allegedly claimed that Femi Falana demanded N10m, from controversial crossdresser Idris Okuneye, popularly known as Bobrisky, to pervert the course of justice.
News
Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.
More details later….
News
Reserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels
Nigeria’s foreign exchange (FX) reserves have reached $48.5 billion, their highest level in nearly 13 years.
This milestone, confirmed by data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), surpasses previous multi-year peaks and represents the strongest balance since May 14, 2013, when reserves stood at approximately $48.51 billion.
However, the data showed that the foreign reserves increased steadily by 6.45 percent or $2.94 billion year-to-date, from $45.56 billion reported on January 1 to $48.5 billion.
Further checks showed that the FX reserves figure was $48.36 billion on Monday.
According to the CBN, FX reserves are assets held on reserve by a monetary authority in foreign currencies, which are used to back liabilities and influence monetary policy.
On December 22, 2025, the apex bank projected that the country’s external reserves would rise to $51.04 billion in 2026, saying the increase will be supported by FX reforms.
“Reforms in the foreign exchange market are expected to sustain exchange rate stability, while external reserves are projected to increase to US$51.04 billion,” CBN said.
On February 10, Olayemi Cardoso, governor of CBN, said the bank will do “whatever it takes” to safeguard the value of the naira, while strengthening the country’s external reserves.
Looking ahead to 2030, he said the CBN’s targets include achieving single-digit inflation and growing foreign exchange (FX) reserves driven by non-oil exports, foreign direct investment, and diaspora remittances.
News
Ogun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims
The Ogun State Police Command has launched an investigation into sexual assault allegations made by a TikToker known as Mirabel (@mirab351), who is currently receiving treatment in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
The case gained widespread attention after she posted emotional videos on Monday, February 16, detailing an attack she claimed occurred at her home the previous Sunday.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, Oluseyi Babaseyi, disclosed the development on Thursday while speaking on The Morning Brief.
Babaseyi confirmed that Mirabel voluntarily visited the Ibafo Police Division on Tuesday, February 17, to lodge a formal complaint and was subsequently admitted to the hospital for medical care due to her unstable condition.
“When the DPO in Ibafo met with her, she was taken to the hospital for medical analysis. She wasn’t as stable as necessary, but we ensured the investigation continued.
“As we speak, she is in the intensive care unit getting appropriate care. Her medical well-being is more important to us at this point. When she is stable, we can now continue investigations and get the necessary facts,” Babaseyi said.
According to Babaseyi, the incident reportedly occurred in Ogijo, a border community between Ogun and Lagos states.
The police have established that Mirabel was not arrested, but rather, she is being treated as a victim.
The command urges individuals with useful information to come forward and assist with the investigation.
“She was not arrested by the police. She reported a case, and we are investigating. Nothing like her arrest happened,” he said.
“If the allegation is established to be true, the perpetrator will be arrested and charged to court appropriately. Otherwise, the law also addresses giving false information,” the police stated.
The police said they will rely on evidence to reach a logical conclusion and take appropriate action.
“We advise people not to jump to conclusions based on emotions. We are investigating and will rely on evidence to reach a logical conclusion,” Babaseyi said.
-
News1 day agoDefend Our Sovereignty: Falana, Ibrahim, Bugaje Reject US Military Presence
-
News2 days agoDSS Witness Details How ISWAP Unit Planned And Executed Owo Church Massacre
-
News2 days agoRamadan 2026: Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon, Holy Month Begins Wednesday
-
News1 day agoDangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026
-
News1 day ago37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React
-
News6 hours agoTragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed
-
News3 hours agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
News4 hours agoOgun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims
