News
Lagos Deserves Leaders Like You, UNILAG Tells Speaker Meranda
– institution pledges support for Lagos Speaker
A team from the University of Lagos (UNILAG) has promised the institution’s support to the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Mojisola Lasbat Meranda.
Professor Abraham Osinubi Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies of the institution, who led the delegation on a courtesy visit to the Speaker on Thursday, described Princess Meranda’s emergence as a triumph for vision and integrity.
“Your election is not just a personal victory; it is a triumph for vision, integrity, and commitment to the greater good.
“Lagos State stands at the crossroads of boundless opportunities and challenges, and we are confident that under your dynamic stewardship, the Assembly will enact transformative policies that will elevate the state to even greater heights.
“As a state renowned for its innovation, resilience, and leadership, Lagos needs leaders like you who possess the courage to envision a brighter future and the wisdom to bring that vision to life,” Professor Osinubi said.
The Dean said the Vice Chancellor of UNILAG, Professor Folasade Ogunsola, was excited that the institution had produced the first ever female Speaker of the State’s Assembly.
“As you assume this exalted office, we pray that divine wisdom, strength and clarity of purpose will guide your every decision. May you lead with compassion and fairness and may your tenure be marked by unity, progress, and prosperity for all citizens of Lagos State.
“We also pray that your work inspires future generations to recognise that leadership is a call to service, a sacred trust to uplift lives, and a platform to shape legacies of lasting impact.
“School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Lagos, remains committed to supporting visionary leaders like you by providing the intellectual resources needed to address the pressing challenges of our time. We look forward to witnessing the transformational strides your leadership will bring to Lagos State,” Professor Osinubi added.
Responding, Speaker Meranda said the visit was an encouragement and a challenge for her and the House to meet the yearnings of Lagosians through life-changing laws and motions.
Meranda, who had earlier emphasised her commitment to a happier Lagos, promised to continue to be a source of pride to UNILAG.
“I will definitely make you proud by the special grace of God. I will work to ensure that you see me as a source of pride to UNILAG,” she promised.
A lawmaker and alumnus of the institution, Hon. Lanre Afinni, recalled how UNILAG students made Nigeria proud during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“During the COVID-19 pandemic, UNILAG students produced portable ventilators which assisted Lagosians.
For all that you have been doing for us, we say thank you,” Afinni said.
Media Office of the Rt. Hon. Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News56 minutes agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
