News
Court Sentences Killers Of Ogun Couple, Son To Death By Hanging
An Ogun State High Court sitting in Kobape, Abeokuta, the state capital, on Monday sentenced Lekan Adekanbi, Ahmed Odetola, and Waheed Adeniyi to death by hanging for the murder of Kehinde Fatinoye, his wife, Bukola Fatinoye, and their son, Oreoluwa, on January 1, 2023.
The couple was attacked at their Ibara GRA residence shortly after returning from a crossover service.
Led by their driver, Adekanbi, the assailants invaded their home at about 2am, killing them before setting the house and their bodies on fire.
They also tied up their son, Oreoluwa, and an adopted son before throwing them into the Ogun River.
Oreoluwa did not survive, but the adopted son miraculously escaped.
During an interview with journalists in February 2023, Adekanbi confessed that he orchestrated the attack because the Fatinoyes refused to increase his salary or grant him a loan.
“I took the step because the couple refused to increase my salary, and when I approached them for a loan to buy a motorcycle, they didn’t oblige,” he admitted.
He revealed that he invited two accomplices, Odetola and Adeniyi, to help him rob the couple.
“The three of us waited for the couple until they came back from the crossover service. We pounced on them immediately after they entered the house,” he said.
According to him, they forced Kehinde Fatinoye to transfer N1,102,000 to his Access Bank account at gunpoint after a previous transfer attempt to Odetola’s Kuda Bank account failed.
“When I realised that my identity had been exposed through my bank account, I decided with others to terminate the lives of the couple,” he confessed.
Adeniyi then used a knife to slaughter Kehinde Fatinoye, while Adekanbi struck Bukola Fatinoye on the head with a sledgehammer, killing her instantly.
When the couple’s son, Oreoluwa, and their adopted son, Felix Olorunyomi, walked in, the criminals tied them up and threw them into the Ogun River, Felix managed to escape.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, recounted how Adekanbi initially escaped from custody after faking an illness.
“The suspect, Lekan Adekanbi, suddenly collapsed in the cell on January 2, 2023, and was rushed to the hospital for medical care. But while receiving treatment, he suddenly jumped from the bed and escaped through the hospital fence,” Oyeyemi said.
Following a technical and intelligence-driven investigation, police tracked him to his brother’s house in Iseyin, Oyo State.
Although he had fled before officers arrived, he was later arrested in Abeokuta on January 21, 2023.
His accomplices, Odetola and Adeniyi, were arrested in Ogere on February 9, 2023.
“The three suspects, who are members of the Aiye confraternity, have all confessed to their roles in the gruesome and callous murder of the family,” Oyeyemi stated.
Adekanbi, Odetola, and Adeniyi, along with six others, were charged with 24 counts, including conspiracy to commit armed robbery, murder, arson, and perverting the course of justice. They pleaded not guilty.
Delivering her judgment, Justice Basirat Adebowale ruled, “The trio of Adekanbi, Odetola, and Adeniyi are guilty of nine counts because the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.”
Adebowale sentenced them to death by hanging.
“You, Adekanbi, Odetola, and Adeniyi, for killing a father, mother, and son, do not deserve mercy. You are hereby sentenced to be hanged by the neck until you are dead or by lethal injection. May God have mercy on your souls,” she declared.
Other sentences included: Temitope Fadairo (Adekanbi’s wife) to two years imprisonment for hiding her husband, Adenike Adekanbi (Adekanbi’s mother) to one-year imprisonment for providing false statements to the police, Azeez Usman (the welder who dismantled the stolen vehicle) to 14 years imprisonment for receiving stolen property, plus additional sentences to run concurrently, Anuoluwapo Owolaja to two years imprisonment, Abass Odetola and Lukmon Adewusi were discharged of all charges.
During the trial, Chief State Counsel, Adefisoye Temilola, told the court that the trio committed the crime at Karounwi Street, Ibara Housing Estate, Abeokuta.
“The defendants, while armed with a gun, hammer, and cutlass, robbed Mr. Fatinoye of N1.102 million and a Hyundai vehicle worth N12 million. They also robbed Mrs. Bukola Fatinoye of her phones valued at N1 million.
“After robbing the couple, Adeniyi used a knife to slaughter Kehinde Fatinoye, while Adekanbi struck Bukola on the head with a sledgehammer.
“They set the house ablaze and killed their only son, Oreoluwa, by tying his hands and legs and throwing him into the Ogun River, leading to his death.” Temilola said.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health2 days agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News22 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment23 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
