Connect with us

News

How We Rescued Ex-AIG’s Wife, Killed Abductors – Police

Published

on

The Nigeria Police Force has narrated how its operatives in Ogun State rescued the abducted wife of a former Assistant Inspector General of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, who was abducted at her residence in the Arepo area of the state last Thursday.

PUNCH Metro learnt in a statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, that Mrs Odumosu was rescued in the early hours of Thursday after spending seven days in captivity.

PUNCH Metro reported last Friday that Mrs Odumosu was abducted by four masked men who attacked her, pulled her out of her Lexus Jeep, and drove away with her at about 10 pm last Thursday.

Narrating how she was rescued, Adejobi noted that the anti-kidnapping unit of the state police command through an extensive intelligence gathering, tracked the kidnappers to a creek in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State.

He said that upon sighting the police, the kidnappers engaged in a shootout with the police but were overpowered by the gallant officers.

Adejobi noted that two of the kidnappers were killed during the exchange of gunfire while four others fled and the victim was rescued without harm.

He said, “In a commendable display of teamwork and swift action, police operatives attached to the Ogun State Command have successfully neutralised the kidnappers of Mrs. Odumosu, wife of retired Assistant-Inspector General, Hakeem Odumosu, and rescued her unharmed.

“Their efforts culminated in a raid on January 23, 2025, at around 06:45 AM. The intelligence-led operation took the police to a creek in the swampy area of Ikorodu where the kidnappers were reportedly planning their next attack.

“Upon arrival, the operatives encountered the kidnappers, who opened fire. In the ensuing confrontation, two of the gunmen were neutralised, while four others fled the scene, abandoning their operational weapons. The victim, Mrs Odumosu, was rescued within the swampy creeks during the operation, unharmed.”

He added that the police recovered exhibits such as AK-47 rifles, single-barrelled locally made guns and a sum of N10m.

While commending the operatives for the successful rescue, Adejobi stressed that the victim had been reunited with her family.

“She is currently undergoing medical evaluation as a precautionary measure and has since been reunited with her family.

“The police also recovered four AK-47 rifles, three locally made single-barrelled rifles, ammunition of various calibres, and the sum of N10,000,000 ransom previously demanded by the kidnappers, further ensuring that justice is served.

“The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, has commended the Ogun State Commissioner of Police, Lanre Ogunlowo, and his operatives for their displayed gallantry in this successful operation,” Adejobi stated.

News

Tragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed

Published

on

By

The Ondo State Police Command has confirmed the assassination of Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of the Agamọ community.

According to command spokesperson DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the monarch was attacked on Wednesday at approximately 7:10 p.m.

Jimoh said the information was received by the division at about 7:50 p.m. from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu,

He said the information indicated that approximately six armed men stormed the residence of the traditional ruler, forcibly took him from his compound, and subsequently fled the scene.

“The victim was later found a few metres away with gunshot wounds. He was confirmed dead at the scene.

“Upon receipt of the report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), alongside tactical teams from the command, promptly mobilised officers in collaboration with local security outfits.

“Atuluse Security, local hunters, and Amotekun operatives also assisted to comb adjoining bushes and surrounding areas in a bid to apprehend the perpetrators. Efforts are ongoing to track down and arrest the fleeing suspects.

“Monitoring and surveillance activities have been intensified across the area to ensure the safety of residents and prevent further breakdown of law and order.

“The public are assured that no stone will be left unturned in bringing those responsible for the heinous act to justice,” he said.

According to him, members of the public with credible and actionable information are urged to report to the nearest police station or contact the command.

Continue Reading

News

37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React

Published

on

By

The Federal government has remained silent after reports emerged that carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, left 37 miners dead and 25 hospitalized at a mining site located in the Zurak Wase Local Government of Plateau State.

This was disclosed in a report by a security journalist, Zagazola Makama, on Wednesday.

Sources told Makama that the incident occurred at the Solid Mining Company early on Feb. 18.

The victims are between 20 and 35 years old and were conducting routine mining operations when they inhaled toxic gas that had accumulated in the poorly ventilated tunnels, the report said.

Makama said, “The site is under strict control, and emergency protocols are being followed to manage the situation,” a source told Makama.

Meanwhile, there is no indication that the Nigerian government nor the Plateau State, and security operatives have reacted to the incident or done anything on the matter.

There are no official statements from both quarters confirming or debunking the incident as of filing this report on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

News

Dangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026

Published

on

By

Aliko Dangote, Chairman of the Dangote Group, forecasts that the naira will appreciate to N1,100 per dollar within 2026.

He shared this outlook on Tuesday during the federal government’s unveiling of the National Industrial Policy 2025.

The naira has strengthened in recent weeks, appreciating to N1,335.95 per dollar at the official market and N1,380/$ at the black market on Tuesday.

Commenting on the development, the billionaire businessman said the country has the potential to generate large-scale consumption, industrial growth, and disposable incomes.

“I mean today if you look at it, your excellency, I believe with the policies that you have implemented in government, people now have started seeing the result and manufacturers are very very happy,” Dangote said.

“Today, the dollar is N1,340. Mr. Vice-President, I can assure you with what I know, blocking all this importation and co, naira this year will be as low as N1,100 if we are lucky.

“The only thing is for maybe the government to stop the naira from getting stronger so that they will keep collecting more naira.

“But it’s a catch-22 situation where, now, if the naira gets stronger it means that everything will go down. Everything will go down because we are an import-based country which we shouldn’t be.

“What you should be is to manufacture all the things that we need.”

On February 12, Femi Otedola, the chairman of First HoldCo, expressed optimism that the naira will strengthen meaningfully and will trade below N1,000/$1 before year-end as domestic refining is fully underway.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending