Connect with us

News

NiDCOM Probes 50-Year-Old Nigerian’s Death In S’Africa’s Police Custody

Published

on

The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a 50-year-old Nigerian man, Jeremiah Okoye, while in police custody in Limpopo, South Africa.

The commission’s spokesperson, Abdulrahman Balogun, revealed this to PUNCH Metro on Saturday, following reports of Okoye’s death on Friday.

Okoye, who lived at 71 Magazyn Street, Polokwane, Limpopo Province, had been residing in South Africa for 22 years before his death.

The victim, a native of Eziniffite Nnewi in Anambra, reportedly died while in police custody in Limpopo Province on January 13.

The President of the Nigerian Citizens Association in South Africa, Frank Onyekwelu, confirmed the incident in a statement provided to The PUNCH on Friday.

Onyekwelu expressed concern over the police brutality faced by Nigerians in South Africa, calling for strict adherence to the rule of law. He added, “Investigations are ongoing to determine the cause of his untimely death.

“We implore all our citizens to be law-abiding and allow the authorities to utilise all their resources to unravel the circumstances surrounding the death of Okoye,” he said.

Onyekwelu, as reported by The PUNCH, added, “We hope that his death will not become a statistic like others before it. The deaths of Nigerians in South Africa, particularly under police custody, have become a recurring issue that needs to be stopped.

“We fear that these recurring deaths of Nigerians in police custody, if unchecked, will become a dangerous pattern.”

In a separate report by the News Agency of Nigeria, the NICASA president stated that he had officially notified the Nigerian High Commission and Consulate in South Africa and had also reached out to Okoye’s family and friends in Limpopo following the tragic incident.

“Nigerian citizens in South Africa say no to police brutality and killings and demand justice for the late Okoye.

“Our lives matter; nationality is not criminality,” he maintained.

In response to our correspondent’s enquiries about the actions being taken by NiDCOM regarding police brutality against Nigerians in South Africa, Balogun confirmed that the commission was aware of the situation and that an investigation had already begun.

“True. It is under investigation,” Balogun simply stated.

A similar incident occurred when four suspected South African men allegedly killed a 37-year-old Nigerian, Mr. Julius Chukwunta.

Chukwunta, a native of Aninri Local Government Area in Enugu State, was reportedly attacked on December 7, 2024, while driving to his home in the Midrand Protea Estate in South Africa.

According to reports, Chukwunta was blocked by the four men as he approached his residence.

The four men allegedly inflicted a severe head injury on him, which was reportedly the cause of his death on December 13, 2024.

News

Tragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed

Published

on

By

The Ondo State Police Command has confirmed the assassination of Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of the Agamọ community.

According to command spokesperson DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the monarch was attacked on Wednesday at approximately 7:10 p.m.

Jimoh said the information was received by the division at about 7:50 p.m. from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu,

He said the information indicated that approximately six armed men stormed the residence of the traditional ruler, forcibly took him from his compound, and subsequently fled the scene.

“The victim was later found a few metres away with gunshot wounds. He was confirmed dead at the scene.

“Upon receipt of the report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), alongside tactical teams from the command, promptly mobilised officers in collaboration with local security outfits.

“Atuluse Security, local hunters, and Amotekun operatives also assisted to comb adjoining bushes and surrounding areas in a bid to apprehend the perpetrators. Efforts are ongoing to track down and arrest the fleeing suspects.

“Monitoring and surveillance activities have been intensified across the area to ensure the safety of residents and prevent further breakdown of law and order.

“The public are assured that no stone will be left unturned in bringing those responsible for the heinous act to justice,” he said.

According to him, members of the public with credible and actionable information are urged to report to the nearest police station or contact the command.

Continue Reading

News

37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React

Published

on

By

The Federal government has remained silent after reports emerged that carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, left 37 miners dead and 25 hospitalized at a mining site located in the Zurak Wase Local Government of Plateau State.

This was disclosed in a report by a security journalist, Zagazola Makama, on Wednesday.

Sources told Makama that the incident occurred at the Solid Mining Company early on Feb. 18.

The victims are between 20 and 35 years old and were conducting routine mining operations when they inhaled toxic gas that had accumulated in the poorly ventilated tunnels, the report said.

Makama said, “The site is under strict control, and emergency protocols are being followed to manage the situation,” a source told Makama.

Meanwhile, there is no indication that the Nigerian government nor the Plateau State, and security operatives have reacted to the incident or done anything on the matter.

There are no official statements from both quarters confirming or debunking the incident as of filing this report on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

News

Dangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026

Published

on

By

Aliko Dangote, Chairman of the Dangote Group, forecasts that the naira will appreciate to N1,100 per dollar within 2026.

He shared this outlook on Tuesday during the federal government’s unveiling of the National Industrial Policy 2025.

The naira has strengthened in recent weeks, appreciating to N1,335.95 per dollar at the official market and N1,380/$ at the black market on Tuesday.

Commenting on the development, the billionaire businessman said the country has the potential to generate large-scale consumption, industrial growth, and disposable incomes.

“I mean today if you look at it, your excellency, I believe with the policies that you have implemented in government, people now have started seeing the result and manufacturers are very very happy,” Dangote said.

“Today, the dollar is N1,340. Mr. Vice-President, I can assure you with what I know, blocking all this importation and co, naira this year will be as low as N1,100 if we are lucky.

“The only thing is for maybe the government to stop the naira from getting stronger so that they will keep collecting more naira.

“But it’s a catch-22 situation where, now, if the naira gets stronger it means that everything will go down. Everything will go down because we are an import-based country which we shouldn’t be.

“What you should be is to manufacture all the things that we need.”

On February 12, Femi Otedola, the chairman of First HoldCo, expressed optimism that the naira will strengthen meaningfully and will trade below N1,000/$1 before year-end as domestic refining is fully underway.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending