News
How DSS Arrested 10 ISWAP Terrorists In Osun State
The Department of state services (DSS) has revealed details of an operation that led to the arrest of 10 suspected Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) members in Ilesa, Osun State.
The operation took place at an old bungalow near St. Mary Catholic Church, Ifofin, and Ogbon Idio in the Ilesa-East Local Government Area.
The raid occurred at midnight on Monday, December 16, 2024, and involved a team of around 30 DSS operatives.
The arrests were made public on Friday, January 10, when the DSS filed a request at the Federal High Court in Abuja to detain the suspects for 60 days.
The suspects arrested were identified as Adamu Abubakar (aka Abu Aisha), Babagana Bashuli, Muhammed Adam, Mustapha Abacha, Katuru Muhammed, Babakura Abacha, Muhammed Ciroma, Ali Gambo, Muhammed Umoru, and Muhammed Bundi.
The DSS stated that the suspects were caught undergoing training on the manufacturing and detonation of explosives.
Preliminary investigations revealed that they were affiliated with Boko Haram/ISWAP.
The operation that led to the arrests spanned 90 days and involved two separate DSS teams.
The first team arrived in Ilesa in late September, while the second team joined in mid-November 2024.
“Osun command was not involved in the operation because the first signal on the activities of members of ISWAP in Ilesa was compromised,” a source said.
On Thursday, January 16, another highly credible source said, “The operation was carried out in the wee hours of that day at Ifofin, Ilesa, and it went well. There was no gunshot at all, and that prevented people from knowing about it.
“The undercover agents arrived in Ilesa last September 2024. They lived and interacted with people in the area and were able to pin down the exact location of the suspects.
“After confirming the locale and the activities of the suspects, a tactical team was sent from the headquarters, and the officers understudied the environment for another 30 days. The suspects were arrested with ISWAP materials and bomb-making equipment.
“None of the personnel who carried out the operation lived in Osun, and the majority of them left immediately after they arrested the suspects. The last batch of the team left last Saturday.”
The officer revealed that following the operation, several senior DSS officials, including the ‘PSO’, were reassigned from Osun to other states.
He also mentioned that approximately 150 personnel had already been transferred prior to the operation’s conclusion.
“After the operation, the Osun PSO and some other senior officers were transferred out of the command. Before the operation was finalised, more than 150 personnel in Osun were deployed in the northern states, including Benue, Jigawa, and Bauchi, for reasons known to the service,” he added.
A security source stated that the DSS had been monitoring certain ISWAP members since 2023, following intelligence indicating their plan to attack a church in Ilesa..
“In 2023, there was intelligence that ISWAP wanted to attack a church in Ilesa. A signal was sent to the police, but unfortunately, it was leaked, which jeopardised our operation to arrest the suspects. We have been tracking them since then,” he stated.
He also revealed that members of ISWAP were involved in the bank robberies in Iree and Iragbiji, located in the Boripe Local Government Area of Osun State, in 2021.
The source added that this was not the first time the DSS had arrested suspected ISWAP/Boko Haram members in Osun, noting that in 2022, several suspected terrorists from Sokoto and Zamfara states were apprehended in Ile-Ife.
“We arrested some in 2022 in Ile-Ife. In the course of that operation, the palace of a monarch was raided, likewise some other people in the town,” he said.
Another security source confirmed that the DSS operatives had been monitoring the suspects for several months.
The source clarified that the individuals arrested were not residing in the same house.
“They were picked up in Ogbon Idio and Ifofin areas of Ilesa, in Ilesa East Local Government Area of Osun State, on December 16. They were not staying in the same house but lived close to each other.All of them are watch repairers, and they sell glasses and watches too.
“There are many Hausa residents in the neighborhood where they were picked up, but those who carried out the operation knew exactly those they were looking for, and they went straight for them.
“Even some of their kinsmen could not still believe they are suspected members of ISWAP, but those that arrested them have strong reasons to suspect them,” the source further said.
It was revealed that one of the suspects arrested in Ilesa, Abubakar (also known as Abu Aisha), was a wristwatch dealer located at the popular roundabout in the town.
The other suspects had been living with Abubakar, who had resided in the house for several years.
A resident of Ifofin, who requested to remain anonymous, stated that the arrests caused confusion among other northerners in the area, as well as some members of the mosque where the suspects regularly prayed.
“Abubakar is a known person. He sells wristwatches at Ilesa roundabout. He was arrested alongside some of his people living with him before dawn that day. The security people came with about five vehicles in the midnight. Though I didn’t see them, I could hear the sound and movement of the vehicles and the sound of ‘move’ when they were arresting those people,” he said.
“When it was dawn and there was no information about where Abubakar and his people were taken to, some of the northerners and the Muslims in the mosque they usually prayed in started visiting one police station after another to ask for them. They even visited the army barracks at Ibodi, but there were no traces of them. The lack of information about their whereabouts created confusion for their people.”
A group of Hausa men had gathered at the open-air mosque next to Durojaiye House, close to Ogbon Idio Junction in Ifofin.
Some were returning from their daily hawking, carrying trays filled with wristwatches and other small goods, while others prepared for prayer, washing their hands and feet in quiet reverence.
Among them was Mohammed Borni, a leader of the Hausa community, who sat on a prayer mat surrounded by his people.
Borni shared his account of the arrest of his fellow community members.
“It happened around 1am. We were surprised when the security men came and took them away. It is about two months now, and we haven’t seen or heard from them after their arrest. Before now, we had gone to the police area command several times to look for them, but the police said they were not even aware of their arrest,” he said.
When asked whether he had suspected the arrested men of being criminals or having connections to insurgent groups like ISWAP, Mohammed vigorously shook his head, saying, “They are not like that. They sell wristwatches and MP3 players.”
Another community leader, Abba Chellu, clarified that the DSS had arrested 11 individuals in two separate operations within the area.
“They (security operatives) were more than 30 officers that came, and they came twice. The first was on a Sunday, around 1.30am; they arrested five people and came back on Tuesday to arrest another six people.”
The incident has sparked worry among local residents, who expressed concerns about living alongside suspected terrorists.
Bimpe Olaiwola, a tailor in the area, said she was shocked to learn that the suspects had been arrested for their ties to terrorist groups.
“We have lived with them for years peacefully, but when we heard that some were taken away as suspected terrorists, we became more cautious. Everyone is now on edge, watching their backs. I just pray the authorities help us drive out any real terrorists because some of us are truly afraid,” she said.
Another resident, Tope Niyi, mentioned that the local community had become increasingly alert and watchful.
“Many of them are in Ilesa, doing menial jobs and riding Okada. We can’t stop them; but we must be security-conscious. People are genuinely scared,” he said.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
News
Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.
More details later….
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News2 days agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
News2 days agoReserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
