Connect with us

Breaking News

Bola Tinubu To Approve Creation Of Ijebu State

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu is set to endorse the creation of Ijebu State following a crucial meeting with the Awujale of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona.

According to People’s Gazette, the meeting, held on January 5 at Tinubu’s Lagos residence, addressed the long-standing request for Ijebu State to be carved out of Ogun State.

Tinubu gave the Awujale his strongest assurances that he will endorse the creation of Ijebu State as a carve-out from Ogun State, dismissing backlash about its viability in light of Nigeria’s raging economic woes.

The Awujale explained that Ijebu is the only colonial-era province without statehood.

The president received the revered traditional ruler at his Bourdillon residence on January 5 and promised his guest that he won’t withhold support for the proposed state just northeast of Lagos, sources familiar with the details told The Gazette under anonymity to discuss privileged conversations.

At the meeting, Adetona lamented how Ijebu remained the only province from the colonial era not to have its own state, decades after its erstwhile peers like Oyo and Sokoto provinces had been subdivided into multiple functioning states, our sources said.

“The president didn’t allow Awujale to overflog the matter before acquiescing,” one of our sources said out of Abuja. It was the first time Tinubu would clearly telegraph his position on the proposed state, although it remained unclear where he would land on other states under consideration before the parliament.

The meeting mentioned Anioma, out of Delta, among potential new states, which lawmakers are discussing as part of another amendment to the 1999 Constitution.

Presidential spokespersons declined to go on record about the meeting, citing its implications for proponents of other new states across the country, who might view the president’s meeting as unduly exclusionary.

An establishment bill for Ijebu State was introduced to the National Assembly in November 2024 when Senator Gbenga Daniel of Ogun East sponsored it, bringing a decades-long hankering of the million-strong Ijebu tribal stock closer to realisation.

Daniel, a former governor of Ogun, conveyed agitations of his kinspeople for an independent state that can sustain itself upon excision from Ogun State to fellow legislators. Mr Daniel sought an alteration of the nation’s constitution to allow the creation of Ijebu State.

Senate President Godswill Akpabio then advanced the bill—titled the “Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Sixth Alteration) Bill, 2024 (Creation of Ijebu State)—and it is now advancing through legislative stages. Several other states are also being discussed to expand Nigeria’s federating units from the current 36 states to as many as 56, meaning up to 20 new states

But some lawmakers and everyday Nigerians have slammed the bill as ill-timed and questioned its value at a time of endemic poverty, chronic inflation, crushing debts, moribund power infrastructure and insecurity.

Critics also said Tinubu was trying to expand Nigeria’s states from 36 because he assumed new states would feel liberated and easily back him for a second term—although it remained unlikely new states would be created before the 2027 elections. Concerns were also raised about how protracted crises may break out among competing interests even within a newly formed state.

However, during the meeting, Awujale urged the president to discount those concerns, insisting that a new Ijebu State would accelerate the development of its constituent units through internally generated revenue and statutory federal allocations.

In December 2024, Adetona, with the help of the Akarigbo of Remo, Adewale Ajayi, hosted traditional rulers and prominent indigenes of the Ijebu province to work out the modalities for the creation of Ijebu State.

These include a suitable state capital, an appropriate and equitable number of local government areas, senatorial districts, federal constituencies and other issues.

Adetona said Ijebu province was “economically-viable” and well-positioned for independence, making boast of the region’s vast swathes of land and infrastructure, from an industrial estate to an international airport still under construction.

“ljebu province is economically viable and already has all the infrastructural facilities that can sustain the state,” Mr Adetona said in his speech to Ijebu stakeholders at his palace on December 19.

‘Such include major industrial estates, like the Flowergate Industrial Estate, the fastest growing industrial estates in Nigeria, an international airport, with potential for a deep sea port, two international sports stadia in ljebu Ode and Sagamu,” the monarch further stated.

 

Breaking News

Reps Plenary Turns Chaotic As Motion To Rescind Electoral Act Amendment Sparks Row

Published

on

By

The House of Representatives descended into a rowdy session on Tuesday during an emergency plenary called to reconsider the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill, 2025.

The chaos was triggered by a motion to rescind the bill’s earlier passage from December 23, 2025, which had mandated the real-time electronic transmission of election results to the IReV portal.

During plenary, Francis Waive, chairman of the house of representatives committee on rules and business, moved a motion for the house to reverse its decision on the bill which was passed on December 23, 2025.

When Tajudeen Abbas, speaker of the house, put the motion to a voice vote, the “nays” were louder than the “ayes”, but he ruled that the ayes had it.

The ruling triggered protests from lawmakers, who began hollering in objection. Abbas subsequently called for an executive session, but the proposal was also rejected.

Despite the resistance, the speaker moved the house into an executive session.

When the green chamber passed the electoral act in December, it adopted a proposal mandating the real-time transmission of election results to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s result viewing portal (IReV).

Continue Reading

Breaking News

El-Rufai Alleges Ribadu Behind Airport Arrest Attempt, Reveals Next Move

Published

on

By

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has accused National Security Adviser, NSA, Nuhu Ribadu of being behind the attempt to arrest him at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja on Thursday, shortly after he returned from a trip to Cairo, Egypt.

El-Rufai made the allegation while speaking with former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who paid him a solidarity visit at his residence on Thursday night.

According to him, operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, working with the Department of State Services, DSS, and not the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, confronted him at the airport and attempted to take him into custody.

“It turned out that it’s the ICPC that procured DSS to abduct me and hands me over to them. The ICPC has never invited me.

“We just understand that it’s the ICPC not EFCC that’s responsible for what happened today and the ICPC chairman is acting of the direct order of Nuhu Ribadu,” El-Rufai said.

Responding, Atiku expressed sympathy with the former governor and stressed the need for political unity ahead of the next general election.

The ex-Vice President noted that opposition forces must organize themselves to challenge President Bola Tinubu in 2027.

“We must come together and form very viable opposition because Tinubu is determined to turn Nigeria into a one party state,” Atiku said.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Nnamdi Kanu Challenges Life Sentence, Files Appeal Against Terrorism Conviction

Published

on

By

Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has officially filed a notice of appeal challenging his conviction and multiple sentences.

 

Kanu insisted that the trial was riddled with fundamental legal errors and amounted to a miscarriage of justice.

In the notice of appeal dated February 4, 2026, Kanu said he was appealing against his conviction and sentences on seven counts, including terrorism-related offences, for which he received five life sentences and additional prison terms after being found guilty on November 20, 2025.

“I, Nnamdi Kanu, the Appellant, having been convicted and sentenced… do hereby give notice of appeal against my conviction,” the document stated.

Kanu was convicted for offences including “committing an act preparatory to or in furtherance of an act of terrorism,” “making a broadcast… with intent to intimidate the population,” and “being the leader and member of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), a proscribed organisation in Nigeria,” among others.

Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, delivered the judgment on November 20, 2025, sentencing Kanu to five life terms for terrorism-related offences, 20 years’ imprisonment for being the leader of the proscribed IPOB, and five years’ imprisonment with no option of fine for importing a radio transmitter without a licence.

In his grounds of appeal, the IPOB leader accused the trial court of failing to resolve what he described as a “foundational disruption of the original trial process” following the 2017 military operation at his Afara-Ukwu residence.

“The learned trial judge erred in law by failing to resolve the procedural and competence consequences of the foundational disruption of the original trial process in September 2017,” Kanu argued.

He also contended that the court proceeded to trial and judgment while his preliminary objection challenging the competence of the proceedings remained unresolved.

“The learned trial judge did not hear or determine the objection,” the appeal document stated, adding that judgment was delivered “while the objection remained pending and undetermined.”

Kanu further faulted the court for delivering judgment while his bail application was still pending, arguing that this affected the fairness of the trial process.

He also claimed that the trial court convicted him under a law that had already been repealed, stating that “the learned trial judge erred in law by convicting and sentencing the Appellant under the Terrorism Prevention (Amendment) Act, 2013, notwithstanding its repeal by the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022, prior to judgment.”

Kanu further argued that he was subjected to double jeopardy, contrary to Section 36(9) of the 1999 Constitution, after being retried on facts he said had earlier been nullified by the Court of Appeal.

He also complained that he was denied fair hearing, claiming that he was not allowed to file or present a final written address before judgment was delivered.

Among the reliefs sought, Kanu asked the Court of Appeal to allow the appeal, quash his conviction and sentences, and “discharge and acquit the Appellant in respect of all the counts.”

He also informed the appellate court of his desire to be present at the hearing of the appeal, stating, “I want to be present at the hearing of the appeal because I may be conducting the appeal in person.”

Kanu is currently being held at a correctional facility in Sokoto State, after his application to be transferred to a different facility in either Niger or Nasarawa State was denied.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending