Connect with us

News

Ifa Chose New Alaafin Because Kingmakers Were Bribed – Prof. Abimbola

Published

on

Prof. Wande Abimbola, born Ògúnwán̄dé Abím̄bọ́lá, a professor of Yoruba language and literature, and a former vice-chancellor of the University of Ife (formerly Obafemi Awolowo University), has revealed the process through which the Alaafin-elect, Prince Abimbola Owoade was chosen.

According to the academician and elder statesman who once served as the Majority Leader of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, he was asked by the government to consult the Ifa Oracle to choose the next Alaafin because the Oyomesi Kingmakers had been compromised.

Professor Abimbola revealed this in a video clip currently going viral on social media where he was asked by a concerned Nigerian to confirm or not information that he consulted Ifa to choose the new Alaafin.

The erudite professor who spoke elonquently in flawless Yoruba Language confirmed the news.

“Yes, it’s the Oyo State Government that asked me to consult Ifa. By April this year, it will be three years that our King, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, joined his ancestors. The kingmakers were consulted to pick a successor, and then interested individuals started giving hefty money to the kingmakers to influence their decision.

“This later divided the rank of the kingmakers because they discovered that the money their leader shared to them was a far cry from what he collected. The five kingmakers had earlier supported a particular prince who gave them the heaviest sum but after discovering the act perpetrated by their leader, two of them backtracked. They reached out to the government to say they were no longer in support of the candidate, adding that they just discovered that the money their leader collected from the said prince was incredibly heavy from which he gave them peanuts.

“That’s where the crisis started. Citizens of Oyo too started writing in newspapers to call out government that ‘it’s money you want to use to elect Alaafin into office, is that good?’” he recounted, adding that at that stage the matter became messy.

The reknowned traditionalist, who described the Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde as a good man, said Makinde felt concerned and asked: “Was it not through Ifa divination that the King was chosen in the past?”, adding that if the same process was not explored, the stool would remain monetised and the institution bastardised.

The Àwísẹ Awo Àgbàyé lamented the erosion of the integrity of the traditional institution in Yorubaland through monetary inducement saying: “We don’t know of Hausaland or any other land elsewhere but in Yorubaland today, the system has been corrupted with money. They would buy generators, cars and what have you for the kingmakers to influence the process.

“The kingmakers may collect money from a hundred candidates, it’s the highest bidder that they will give the stool to. That’s how they are doing it now.

“The governor now said he would not accept such, saying that should stop.”

Prof. Abimbola recollected that Gov. Makinde pointed to him and said: “Is this not our father sitting down here who, we know, does not lie or deceive. In all the places he has worked both in government and in the academic community, he never took what does not rightly belong to him and he is an Ifa priest who holds the title of Àwísẹ Awo Àgbàyé . Why not let him go and consult Ifa. If we do it according to the tradition, it would bring appropriate result.”

The 92-year-old professor currently lives in the United States.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

Trending