News
I Scaled Fence When Hoodlums Attacked My Palace – Kogi Monarch
Mother luck smiled on the Etsu Lokoja, Emmanuel Akamisoko Dauda-Shelika, Nyamkpa IV, as he scaled through the fence when hoodlums invaded his palace on Saturday.
His vehicle and other properties within the palace premises were however burnt.
The palace which was located on plot 306, New Layout, Lokoja, was allegedly attacked by hoodlums at about 1:00 am on Saturday, who burnt his vehicles while the monarch narrowly escaped by scaling the fence.
Our reporter gathered that Nupe Natives of Lokoja Development Union was planning to host the 2nd Edition of Nupe Natives end of the year event, tagged: “Lokoja ‘24 Nupe Cultural Fiesta”, on Dec. 21, 2024, before the incident occurred.
The event was however aborted due to the unfortunate attack at early hour on Saturday around 1:00am, when many Nupe natives from neighboring States had started arriving on the eve of the event.
Narrating his ordeal to newsmen, who visited the scene yesterday, the Etsu Lokoja, HRH Emmanuel Akamisoko Dauda-Shelika, Nyamkpa IV, said: “It was around 1 am at night that I had a big bang on my door and I woke up to check through the window, wondering what could have happened.
“Then, I suddenly saw wild fire coming out of my car as it had been set ablazed by attackers.
“I knew it was an attack on the palace, and therefore I could not come out because of fear of being attacked. So, I managed to come out through the back door and scaled the fence to escape for my life.
“Thereafter, I came out to the road and realized that all my neighbors in the community were on ground trying hard to quench the fire, but unfortunately the car was burnt as well as other properties inside it”.
He explained that members of the planning committee for the event, had a meeting till around 11:30 pm on Friday before departing to their various homes, lamenting that it was unfortunate that cultural fiesta was aborted due to the ugly incident.
Dauda-Shelika appealed to government and security agencies to investigate the cause of the attack and bring perpetrators and their sponsors to justice.
He, however, appealed to the Nupe natives in Lokoja, to avoid any form of reprisal but continue to remain peaceful, law abiding and allow government and security agencies to conduct thorough investigation on the attack.
“We are appealing to His Excellency, Alhaji Ahmed Usman Ododo, and security agencies to please use their good offices to investigate this unfortunate incident, and bring to justice whoever is concerned whether directly or indirectly.
“We also want government to kindly visit our issues by recognizing and grading the stool of Etsu Lokoja which had been in existence before colonisation.
“By officially recognising and grading Etsu Lokoja stool, we know everything will be laid to rest because that is the power of the government.
“If government remains silent and look away, it leaves the door open for this kind of things to happen. And as a people, we will not want to see such things continuing to happen.
“I urge my people to remain as peaceful and law abiding as we have always been because this incident has drawn the attention of government to our issue,” Dauda-Sheika added.
He noted that the Executive Chairman of Lokoja LGA and his security apparatus came for on-the-spot assessment that Saturday morning as well as the Police, DSS and NSCDC.
He added: “The DPO, A Division was also here with his men upon hearing the incidence to ascertain what actually happened. They all condemned the ugly incident in a strong term.
“We have also been invited to the Police station and we have written our statement.
“Nupe people are law abiding and we are not known for violence. Nobody in Lokoja will classify Nupe people as violent and law breakers, no! We like accommodating everyone.
“And that is why other tribes like marrying out daughters”.
Speaking on the possible cause of the attack, Dauda-Sheika said: “I think it has to be said as it should be said; Lokoja is traditionally Nupe and we were planning to have the annual Nupe Cultural Fiesta that we had last year.
“That was why we sent out letters of invite to all the relevant stakeholders including the media, security agencies such as the Police, NSCDC, DSS, as well as extending invitations to all other ethic groups in Lokoja such as the Ebira, Yoruba, Oworo, Igala, Igbo communities to come and celebrate with us and our culture.
“We also extended the invitation to Maigari of Lokoja being the Chairman of Lokoja Local Government Traditional Council, to come and be the Special Royal Father of the day.
“But to our amazement, rather than accepting our invitation, the Maigari faulted it, wrote back to us, saying, ‘our letter lacks royal courtesy’ because we didn’t include the Chairman, Lokoja Traditional Council in our letter.
“The Maigari also went ahead in his letter to say that there is nothing like ‘Etsu Lokoja’.
“So, we wondered how would you say there is no Etsu Lokoja ,when we have existed even before the colonialists came, and we have our own way of administering ourselves abinitio.
“We were the earlier settlers here, and it has always been Etsu Lokoja, before the colonialists came. And in an attempt to set up their own thing, the colonialists put together this arrangement, and today we have a Maigari.
“But we have no problem with that at all because we have lived together peacefully for many years.,” he said.
He stressed that the government was aware of the efforts and structures that the leadership of Nupe Natives in Lokoja had put in place to facilitate government’s recognition of Etsu Lokoja stool, to be able to administered themselves freely as ethnic group.
He added; “So, the aborted cultural fiesta was never a coronation ceremony as it was being interpreted in some quarters, but a cultural celebration because the issue of coronation is very mundane.
“The most important thing for us is the installation of Etsu Lokoja which we have done on January 23, 2024.
“We further did a public reenactment of that installation again on July 27, 2024, on the mountain which was the root of Lokoja, and will sent letter of reminder to government on the need to recognize and grade Etsu stool.
“We also have a compendium of all our activities that we have done which was also sent to the State Government as well as all the security agencies.
“We are making sure as law abiding people to follow principles and due process because we are not violent but very intelligent and developers that add values when we have the freedom to do so.
“The government has identified Lokoja as a Cosmopolitan city and that is why they have chosen to identify, recognize and grade certain ethnic groups including the Ohi Anebira of Lokoja, Onu Igala of Lokoja, Oba Yoruba of Lokoja, Maigari Lokoja for Hausa, as well as Etsu Lokoja.
“So, the Nupe people deserve to be recognized and have a graded stool of Etsu Lokoja which had been in existence long before the colonialists came.
“This is to ensure fairness, equity and justice so that we can always have confidence in the actions of government, and we want to always participate in the development of the land.
“We are not happy that we are sidetracked; we want to be part of the players because we were one of the early settlers but we are not in the scheme of things.
“We want to be included because we do not have another home, Lokoja is our home and we have nowhere to go like others.
“What happens to our children and unborn generations if we refuse to get things right now,” Dauda-Shelika said.
Also speaking, the National President Nupe Natives of Lokoja Union, Alh. Abubakar Abdullahi Ndashite, said the event scheduled for Saturday December 21, was a celebration of Nupe Cultural heritage and not any form of coronation as being insinuated from some quarters.
Ndashite, who doubles as the Chairman Planning Committee, said the aborted event was the second edition Nupe Cultural Fiesta to showcase a variety of Nupe culture and traditions.
According to him, it aims to protect the Nupe spirit and culture as well as the rich history of the diversely composed Lokoja community, and the peaceful and harmonious coexistence among her.
He expressed his displeasure over the aborted cultural event, noting that the union had expended so much it, and urged the government to bring perpetrators to book.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News11 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News7 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment8 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
