Connect with us

News

Five-Year Ban On Mining In Zamafara State Lifted – Dele Alake

Published

on

Five years after it suspended mineral exploration in Zamfara State, the Federal Government yesterday announced the lifting of the ban on mining activities in the Northwest state.

Solid Minerals Development Minister Dele Alake, who dropped the hint in Abuja yesterday, said the move was made following significant improvement on the security situation in the state.

The Federal Government banned all forms of mining activities in Zamfara in 2019, following alarming reports of banditry and its link to illegal mining.

According to Alake, insecurity in the state had been reduced to a manageable level to facilitate the operation of legitimate mining activities.

He said that reversing the ban would support efforts to boost the country’s economic profile, particularly as the state possessed critical minerals in commercial quantities needed for energy transition.

The minister said: “The nation has a lot to gain from reawakened economic activities in a highly mineralised state like Zamfara that is imbued with vast Gold, Lithium, and Copper belts.”

The minister explained that the ban had created a vacuum, which was exploited by illegal miners to rob the nation of its resources.

He said: “The concomitant result was the colossal loss of revenue to the affected communities, local government, the state and the Federal Government as legitimate owners were forced to shut down operations.”

According to him, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is determined to address insecurity in the country by deploying intelligence-gathering and other security operations to neutralise merchants of insecurity

He stated that Tinubu’s strategy had led to the neutralisation of key bandit commanders, thereby significantly reducing incidents of insecurity across the nation.

“A recent success was the capture of one of the most wanted bandit commanders, Halilu Sububu, in a covert operation in Zamfara,” he said.

The government, Alake said, is responsible for protecting lives and property, and contingency plans have already been made to protect mining operators in Zamfara and other states.

He further explained that the strategies adopted to achieve the feat were increased intelligence gathering by relevant security agencies, who would work alongside the mining operators.

The minister stated that lifting of the ban would also facilitate better regulation of mining activities in the state.

He added that the host communities would also benefit from the ban lift through the implementation of corporate social responsibility projects by the mining companies.

According to him, the move will ensure the country benefits from the state’s rich mineral resources, and the significant contributions of the sector to the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

The minister also explained the provisions of its Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with France, on boosting mining in the country.

He reassured that the agreement does not imply Nigeria was relinquishing control over its mineral resources or entering into any military pact with France.

On December 1, the minister announced an agreement with France to develop joint projects to promote and diversify the value chain of the critical minerals in the solid minerals sector of both countries.

The partnership is also to open opportunity for the remediation of more than 2,000 abandoned pits in the country through environmental rehabilitation and post-mining projects intervention plans.

Alake said: “The high point of the MoU is on training and capacity building for our mining professionals. We need all the assistance we can get in terms of capacity, technical, and financial support from abroad, and that wasn’t even the first we are signing.”

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending