Connect with us

News

Tinubu Working To Bring Smiles To Nigeria, Obasa Says

Published

on

– as Methodist Archbishop advocates for Muslim governor in 2027

The Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa, has urged Nigerians not to despair as the administration of President Bola Tinubu is working to resolve the country’s challenges.

“The outgoing year is indeed a challenging one, especially considering the economic situation of the country. Nevertheless, we have solace in the fact that the government of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR is not leaving any stone unturned to bring us to our promised land.

“Mr. President is busy doing everything possible to put smiles on our faces. Trust me, succour is coming. I urge us to keep the hope alive,” Dr. Obasa said during the Assembly’s 22nd Annual Thanksgiving Service with the theme: ‘The Voice Of Mercy’.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on SDGs, Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire; Rt. Hon. (Dr) Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa; Archbishop of the Methodist Church of Nigeria, Lagos, during the 22nd annual Christian Thanksgiving of the Assembly on Friday.

At the event which had officials from the various arms of the state government, members of the Governance Advisory Council (GAC), traditional rulers and guest preachers, the Speaker urged Nigerians to enter 2025 with renewed passion and vigour.

Quoting from various portions of the Bible, Dr. Obasa said the country had reasons to thank God for His mercies, love and faithfulness.

“In times like these, when the world can seem overwhelming and uncertain, it is crucial to remember the enduring message of mercy and grace that is ever-present in our lives. Indeed, it is through God’s mercy that we find strength, solace, and renewal.

“May we acknowledge God’s sovereignty and mercy in our lives, recognising that our blessings and successes are not solely the result of our efforts, but rather a manifestation of God’s mercy and compassion,” he said while urging citizens to also learn to show mercy to one another.

In his sermon, Most Rev. Isaac Ayo Olawuyi, Archbishop of the Methodist Church Nigeria (Lagos), urged Nigerians to be merciful to one another in line with God’s instruction.

“When the mercy of God is upon you, all protocols are be broken. All things are possible by the mercies of God. We receive forgiveness of our sins from Him by His mercies. The nation needs God’s mercy and it is by His mercy that we can overcome our predicaments and our shortcomings.

“How many people have you helped and taken care of? Go and show love and mercy,” he said.

He praised the Speaker for his leadership and collaboration with the other arms of government saying these have kept the state strong.

“You have been a true and sensitive leader with a big heart. You have proved yourself worthy. We pray that God will continue to use you to make us smile in Lagos and also grant you your heart desires,” he said while commending President Tinubu for the steps he has taken so far.

The Archbishop ended his sermon with an advocacy for a Muslim as the governor of Lagos in 2027 arguing that this was in the spirit of religious tolerance.

“I also want to add that we have consideration for religious inclination in Lagos State. It would be 12 years in 2027 that we have been in the system together and we have been having Christians as governors.

“Now, it’s time to give our Muslim brothers a chance to govern us in Lagos State. We want to pray that when it’s time for the election, it would be a time for us to elect who will govern us in Lagos State effectively,” he said.

 

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending