News
Farotimi: Police Allege Witnesses Intimidation, Oppose Bail Application
An Ekiti State Magistrates’ Court in Ado Ekiti, on Tuesday, sent lawyer and activist, Dele Farotimi, back to prison after the police vehemently opposed his application for bail, accusing him of intimidating witnesses.
The magistrate adjourned till December 20 to rule on whether or not to admit Farotimi to bail following the stiff opposition by the police.
The police are prosecuting Farotimi on the allegation that he defamed legal luminary and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Aare Afe Babalola.
According to the police, the activist lawyer defamed Babalola in his book titled, ‘Nigeria and its Criminal Justice System.’
Following his arrest in Lagos State last Tuesday, the police took Farotimi to Ekiti State and arraigned him last Wednesday before the Ado Ekiti magistrates’ court where he pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Last week, the magistrate, Abayomi Adeosun, rejected an oral bail application by Farotimi’s lawyer, insisting that a formal bail application should be filed and adjourned till December 10.
At the resumed hearing on Tuesday, the defence counsel, Taiwo Adedeji, urged the magistrate to admit his client to bail, noting that the offence against him is bailable.
“The alleged offences are bailable. Again, the defendant should be considered innocent until the contrary is proved.
“The defendant is a lawyer with a fixed address with 25 years unblemished record and his name is on the roll of legal practitioners of the Supreme Court and others. The defendant has undertaken to make himself available whenever his attention is needed,” Adedeji said.
He urged the court to discountenance all that was contained in the prosecution’s counter-affidavit and grant bail to the defendant.
But the prosecuting counsel for the police, Samson Osodu, vehemently opposed the bail application, contending that Farotimi would likely jump bail.
The police prosecutor also described the defendant as “a social media influencer, who, despite being brought to this court, has been intimidating our witnesses, nominal complainant.”
According to the prosecutor, Farotimi had also said many times that he does not believe in the judicial system.
Besides, he argued that “The affidavit brought by the defendants is not competent because it was deposed to by a litigation clerk.”
Earlier, Osodu had opposed the appearance of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, to defend Farotimi.
After taking arguments from the parties, the chief magistrate, Adeosun, adjourned till December 20 to rule on the bail application.
Meanwhile, the planned protest slated for Ekiti State Command Headquarters of Nigeria Police Force organised by the Take it Back Movement failed to hold on Tuesday as no protester was seen in sight.
A community leader and the Olotin of Ado Ekiti, Chief Michael Osaloni, had on Monday cautioned those planning to stage a protest in the state on Tuesday “to steer clear of Ekiti as they would not like the outcome, they should, in their own interest shelve it or else face the consequences”.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti State Police Command, Sunday Abutu, had also earlier warned against protests in the state.
“The state here is peaceful, the metro here is peaceful. There is no protest here in Ekiti. As a matter of fact, nobody informed us officially that there would be any protest, we just heard it through rumour.
“Though protest is the right of everyone, when we heard about that, we warned that people should desist from unlawful protest. We are happy Ekiti is peaceful. We are glad and we appreciate the good people of Ekiti State for not joining any form of illegal protest to put the state in a state of chaos,” the PPRO said.
In his reaction to the court ruling, the 2023 presidential candidate of African Action Congress, Omoyele Sowore, stated on his X handle, “The ruling on @delefarotimi’s bail application was today adjourned till December 20.
“@DeleFarotimi has been sent back to prison for the next 10 days. See what begging has done? #FreeDeleFarotimiNow,” Sowore stated
Recall that the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Mr Peter Obi, had on Monday visited Afe Babalola in Ado Ekiti to plead with him over the case of Farotimi, a move Sowore condemned on his X-handle, saying, “I condemn those who went to beg Chief Afe Babalola today (Monday) over the unjust detention and persecution of @DeleFarotimi”.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News1 hour agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
News5 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
