News
Afe Babalola Gives Conditions For Truce With Farotimi
“Baba Afe told Obi that he (Babalola) has nothing to gain by Farotimi’s incarceration. If he says the allegations are false and offers apology in some newspapers, then, the case can be withdrawn,”
- Magistrate remands lawyer in prison till December 20
For truce in the ongoing criminal defamation matter, Aare Afe Babalola (SAN) might have given conditions to Dele Farotimi, it was learnt yesterday.
The police are prosecuting Farotimi, a Lagos lawyer in Ado-Ekiti, following a petition by Chief Babalola, who alleged criminal defamation of his character in the book: Nigeria and its Criminal Justice System, written and published by Farotimi.
Farotimi is before a Magistrate’s court and the Federal High Court both in Ado Ekiti for criminal defamation and cybercrime respectively.
He has been remanded in Ado-Ekiti Correctional Center since last week.
Presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 election Peter Obi, accompanied by the Southwest Coordinator of his campaign in that election, Mr. Sola Ebiseni, visited Chief Babalola in Ado-Ekiti on Monday over Farotimi’s ordeal. The duo also visited Farotimi where he is kept in Ado-Ekiti prison.
Sources said yesterday that during the two-hour meeting between Obi and Chief Babalola, the legal giant reportedly gave the conditions.
The conditions are for Farotimi to retract his not guilty plea and thereafter publish the rebuttal in major newspapers.
It was gathered that before Obi’s visit, former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese Matthew Hassan Kukah had reached out to Chief Babalola on the issue.
Farotimi was one of the spokesmen of the Obi/Datti Presidential Campaign Organisation in 2023.
Farotimi, was arrested in Lagos last week and taken before Magistrate Abayomi Adeosun in Ado-Ekiti for criminal defamation.
He was remanded till December 10.
But on Monday, he was arraigned before the Federal High Court on cybercrime and subsequently granted bail for N50 million.
Yesterday, when he returned to the Magistrate’s court, the remand order was extended till December 20.
Babalola was said to have told Obi to ask Farotimi to plead guilty to the criminal defamatory charge, failing which he must prove his allegation against him.
“Baba Afe told Obi that he (Babalola) has nothing to gain by Farotimi’s incarceration. If he says the allegations are false and offers apology in some newspapers, then, the case can be withdrawn,” a source said.
The source added that, Farotimi, who reportedly told Obi that he did not invite anybody to plead on his behalf, demanded that the case against him be withdrawn first as pre-condition for his apology.
Another source confirmed that the Monday’s visit of Obi and Ebiseni to Babalola was not at Farotimi’s behest but an Obi initiative.
The source said Obi took the step to identify with a member of his presidential campaign team who is in trouble.
It was learnt that Obi requested Ebiseni to accompany him to see Babalola.
The source, who also confirmed the interest already shown by Obasanjo and Kukah in the matter, said he believed it would be resolved.
Ruling in bail application reserved till Dec 20.
Farotimi will remain in prison custody till December 20 when Magistrate Adeosun will rule on his bail application.
Babalola had petitioned the Police over aspects of the 104-page book he considered as defaming him.
Farotimi, however, pleaded not guilty to the 16-count charge preferred against him by the Police.
At the resumed hearing yesterday, Police prosecuting counsel, Samson Osobu, opposed the appearance of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, for the defendant.
Osobu told the court that the SAN, Olumide-Fusika, under the law, cannot appear before a magistrate’s court.
He cited a July 16, 2024 judgment of a Court of Appeal in Ibadan, Oyo State, to buttress his position.
But in his submission, Olumide-Fusika explained that the Ekiti State magistrate court law allows lawyers, irrespective of status and title, to appear in magistrate’s court, especially in criminal matters.
The senior advocate urged the court to reject the argument by the prosecuting lawyer, noting that the verdict he cited might not have put into considerations all magistrate court laws across the country.
The magistrate said he would step down his ruling in order to read the judgment cited by the prosecutor.
He, however, asked Olumide-Fusika to step down and allow the most senior lawyer in the defendant’s team to continue the case.
A member of the defence team, Taiwo Adedeji, continued the case on behalf of Farotimi.
The court then adjourned the case till December 20.
The court room and the premises were filled to capacity with crowds, many of them taking sides.
There was even a clash outside the court by supporters of the lawyer standing trial and those against him.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News20 minutes agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
