Connect with us

News

Biafra: Sentence Ekpa, Release Nnamdi Kanu – Southeast Stakeholders

Published

on

Reactions have continued to trail the arrest of the self-acclaimed Prime Minister of Biafra, Simon Ekpa, with some South-East indigenes calling for his sentencing in Finland.

On Thursday last week, the Finnish authorities arrested Ekpa alongside four others and they were subsequently detained by the Päijät-Häme district court for “spreading terrorist propaganda on social media.”

The Finnish National Bureau of Investigation, NBI, disclosed that Ekpa, a dual citizen of Finland and Nigeria, is suspected of public exhortation to commit offences with terrorist intent. The charges also include suspicions of financing terrorism.

Leading the investigation, the detective, Chief Inspector Otto Hiltunen, said Ekpa is suspected of using his social media platforms to incite violence against civilians and public authorities in Southeastern Nigeria.

“The suspect has furthered his efforts from Finland, resulting in violence and other crimes in Southeast Nigeria,” Hiltunen said in a statement.

Ekpa’s arrest comes amid the worsening insecurity situation in the Southeastern part of Nigeria, which has seen armed men terrorising the region under the guise of pushing for the actualization of the sovereign state of Biafra.

DAILY POST reports that the armed men have been causing mayhem in the Southeast while claiming to be enforcing the Monday sit-at-home order that was first initiated by the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, as a measure to get the Nigerian Government to release Nnamdi Kanu.

But IPOB, which suspended the sit-at-home, had severally distanced itself from Ekpa, stressing that he’s not their member.

Commenting on the arrest, Abia South Senator, Eyinnaya Abaribe said Kanu’s release remained the solution to tackling insecurity in the Southeast and not Ekpa’s arrest.

Abaribe said Kanu’s release would reveal the genuine Biafra agitators from the criminals masquerading as gunmen.

He said: “You want Biafra fine, but do you get Biafra by killing the same Biafrans you want? How does murdering people, killing people, going around killing policemen, spreading mayhem, and burning police stations help you?

“Everyone of them claims that it’s because Nnamdi Kanu is incarcerated that’s why the Southeast is experiencing insecurity but it will end when Nnamdi Kanu comes out, then we now know who is a genuine agitator and a criminal.

“When Kanu comes out, then he will know his followers. Nobody will have a reason to say we are burning down this police station or killing this person.”

On his part, a retired captain of the United States, US, Army, National Defence and Military Strategist, Bishop Johnson said the proper handling of Ekpa’s arrest by the Finnish government might have an impact on his incitement of violence and bloodletting in the Southeast.

Speaking with DAILY POST, Ambrose said those funding Ekpa’s operations in the Southeast will also stop if he’s held accountable in Finland.

He said: “Simon Ekpa’s arrest will have an impact on the Southeast depending on how it’s handled by the Finnish government.

“If the Finnish government holds Ekpa and his accomplices – those sponsoring his operations, if they hold him accountable in Finland not here in Nigeria, it will have an impact.

“The incitement coming from him will no longer be viable and those sponsoring him will stop, the incitement will end; that is if he’s held accountable in Finland.”

He, however, observed that Ekpa’s arrest might take a negative turn in the Southeast if extradited to Nigeria and detained like Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.

Johnson said: “If he’s extradited to Nigeria, there is the possibility that instead of his arrest having a positive impact, it might even lead to more violence because Nigeria as a country is very notorious for its abysmal human rights records.

“If you have a situation where Ekpa is extradited to Nigeria and is kept in the same condition Nnamdi Kanu is kept in, there would be those offended that two Igbo sons are dumped in DSS dungeon and are inhumanely treated.

“So, if you have that situation, then his arrest will lead to a negative impact instead of having a positive impact. It may also lead to bloodletting and destruction in the Southeast.”

Johnson noted that Ekpa’s arrest could further inflame the Southeast if his loyalists noticed that he was not subjected to due process.

“If there is due process and he is found guilty and held accountable for all the incitement in the Southeast, but anything contrary to that, if there is jungle justice, if the judicial process is bungled, it will inflame some of the people he has here on ground, because Ekpa does not operate in a vacuum, there are loyalists who follow him.

“It all depends on how his arrest is handled and if he’s properly prosecuted, if he’s held accountable for all the loss of lives and damage to properties as a result of his actions,” he said.

He maintained that the combination of Kanu’s release and Ekpa’s arrest would go a long way in restoring peace in the Southeast.

“I think a combination of both would work because if Ekpa is held accountable for all the incitement in Finland that he created, which led to loss of lives in the Southeast and Kanu is released, then peace can be restored.

“Most of the time, these people that perpetrate criminal activities in the Southeast, not all of them are real agitators, there are criminals who have capitalized on Kanu’s incarceration and absence to commit all sorts of criminal activities.

“So, if Kanu is freed we would have denied those people the excuse they used in committing crimes.

“With Kanu’s release, we will be able to separate the real agitators for self-determination from the criminal elements that have used the opportunity for their selfish interests,” he said.

Meanwhile, a former Director General of Voice of Nigeria, VON, Osita Okechukwu, said Ekpa should be sentenced either in Finland or Nigeria for his crimes in the Southeast.

According to the chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Ekpa’s arrest was long overdue.

He told DAILY POST: “His arrest was long overdue. About two years ago, I met the Director General of NIA and he said they were making efforts but there were no bilateral diplomatic efforts with Finland.

“I urged him to intensify their efforts because Ekpa is a criminal and a murderer, because of him a lot of people have lost their lives in the Southeast.

“He has grounded the economy of the Southeast for no just cause, so I commend the diplomatic efforts of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar and our security agencies for the long hunt for fugitive Simon Ekpa.”

“I totally disagree with Ekpa’s strategy of committing heinous crimes against Ndigbo and grounding the Southeast geopolitical zone.

“There are better strategies to halt the marginalisation of our people, which is not by killings and maiming. I call for his sentence whether in Finland or in Nigeria,” he Okechukwu declared.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending