Connect with us

News

Patients, Relatives Groan As Power Disconnection Cripples UCH

Published

on

Patients accessing healthcare services at the University College Hospital, UCH, Ibadan and their families are facing a hell of time following the disconnection of electricity supply.

Recall that Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company, IBEDC, cut off power supply to the hospital. This is the second time the Disco will disconnect the hospital this year.

Earlier on 19th March, 2024 the Disco cut off power supply to the hospital over a N495 million debt.

The power supply was later restored when prominent indigenes of Ibadan and other stakeholders intervened.

However, the electricity distribution company has disconnected the hospital for the second time this year.

It took the action on 26th October, 2024 due to another accumulated debt by the hospital.

Sources hinted DAILY POST that major activities such as surgery, water supply, tests and other things that require electricity have been put on hold.

A staff of the hospital, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that activities at the laboratories and other areas have been suspended as a result of the disconnection.

“It was disconnected on Oct 26, 2024. They brought a N99 million bill for October. But, the management was able to pay N60 million.

“I am not sure of the accumulated debt, but it is said to be over 200 million. None of the services are available for now,” he said.

UCH reneged on its promise to settle accumulated debt – IBEDC

Meanwhile, IBEDC has accused the hospital of reneging on its promise to offset the accumulated debt.

IBEDC spokesperson, Busola Tunwase told DAILY POST on Wednesday that the electricity distribution company disconnected the hospital from the national grid due to the accumulated debt.

Tunwase, who did not reveal the total amount, said that the hospital signed an agreement with the electricity distribution company before the power was restored.

She, however, said that the hospital reneged on the promise.

Tunwase said, “They are still owing us. I can’t disclose the amount now. We signed an agreement that they will upset the debt.

“They were owing us over N500m at that time, they signed an agreement that they will be paying it in tranches. But they reneged on the promise”.

Patients, relatives lament

Enquiries showed that some patients have decided to leave the hospital as a result of the power outage.

Some of the families said that they do not have any other option than to move their relatives from the hospital.

A relative of one of the patients in the hospital said, “They do not have light as of today. The problem has been going on since. Many people have left.

“Families of patients that require urgent attention have been coming to take their sick persons to other hospitals.”

UCH PRO declines comments

All efforts made by DAILY POST to get a reaction from the Public Relations Officer of the hospital, Funmi Adetuyibi since Wednesday morning proved abortive.

A message sent to her WhatsApp was not responded to.

When called, she gave the phone to someone who claimed that the PRO was in a meeting.

The man promised to deliver the message to the PRO.

Our correspondent repeated the call in the afternoon but the same person answered the call.

The man promised to send a press statement 30 minutes after the call.

He said, “We are writing a press statement now. You will get it in the next 30 minutes”.

After two hours of waiting, our correspondent returned the call severally but they were not answered.

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

Trending