Connect with us

News

Gen. Lagbaja’s Death Throws FEC, Military Into Mourning

Published

on

The death on Tuesday of Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja has thrown the nation into mourning.

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu ordered flags to be flown at half-mast nationwide for seven days.

He cancelled the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting and received visitors who paid condolence call on him, including Vice President Kashim Shettima.

All activities at the Defence Headquarters and Army Headquarters were put on hold for the late Army chief.

Gen. Lagbaja spent 16 months in office as the 23rd Chief of Army Staff.

Last month, news broke that he was flown to the United States to take care of an undisclosed ailment.

On October 30, the President appointed Maj.-Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, who was commander of the infantry corps in Jaji, Kaduna State, as acting Chief of Army Staff, an indication that Gen. Lagbaja was critically ill.

On Tuesday, Maj-Gen Oluyede was promoted and decorated by the President and Commander-in-Chief, as a Lieutenant General, the rank reserved for a serving Chief or Army Staff.

Coincidentally, Gen. Lagbaja died on that same day in Lagos, having being flown back from the U.S., a few days earlier.

He was said to have lost the battle to cancer.

Lt.-Gen. Lagbaja’s home town, Ilobu in Osun State, was enveloped in mourning as observed by The Nation reporter who visited the town yesterday after his death was announced.

People sat in groups discussing the development. Many others flocked to the palace of the town’s monarch.

Ministers were already seated at the Council chamber, waiting for the arrival of Mr. President, when Vice President Shettima called the ministers, who were exchanging banters ahead of the commencement of the meeting, to order.

He then announced the postponement of the meeting. He said: “Honourable ministers, this is a message from the President. He has suspended today’s Council meeting in honour of the Chief of Army Staff. May his soul rest in perfect peace.

“Let’s observe a minute silence in his honour.”

This was done.

Presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga, announcing Gen. Lagbaja demise, said in a statement: “President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, regrets to announce the passing of Lt. General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja, Chief of the Army Staff, at age 56.

“He passed away on Tuesday night in Lagos after a period of illness.

“Born on February 28, 1968, Lt. General Lagbaja was appointed Chief of Army Staff on June 19, 2023, by President Tinubu.

“His distinguished military career began when he enrolled in the Nigerian Defence Academy in 1987. On September 19, 1992, he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Nigerian Infantry Corps as a member of the 39th Regular Course.

“Throughout his service, Lt. General Lagbaja demonstrated exceptional leadership and commitment, serving as a platoon commander in the 93 Battalion and the 72 Special Forces Battalion.

“He played pivotal roles in numerous internal security operations, including Operation ZAKI in Benue State, Lafiya Dole in Borno, Udoka in Southeast Nigeria, and Operation Forest Sanity across Kaduna and Niger States.

“An alumnus of the prestigious U.S. Army War College, he earned a Master’s degree in Strategic Studies, demonstrating his dedication to professional growth and excellence in military leadership.

“Lt. General Lagbaja is survived by his beloved wife, Mariya, and their two children.

“President Tinubu expresses his heartfelt condolences to the family and the Nigerian Armed Forces during this difficult time. He wishes Lt. General Lagbaja eternal peace and honours his significant contributions to the nation”.

CDS mourns Gen. Lagbaja

The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Christopher Musa, described the death of Lt.-Gen. Lagbaja as a “tremendous loss,” not only to his family, but the Nigerian military and the entire country.

General Musa said this in a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Brig-Gen Tukur Gusau.

The CDS described the late COAS as “a courageous, hard-working, reliable, loyal, and dedicated service chief whose tireless efforts and unflinching commitment to the security and well-being of the nation were unparalleled.”

He said: “Lieutenant General Lagbaja’s legacy of exceptional service and loyalty leaves an indelible mark on the Nigerian Army, the Armed Force of Nigeria and the national defence security landscape”.

Recalling General Lagbaja’s 16-month tenure as the COAS, the CDS Chief acknowledged his sterling performance, courage and steadfast commitment to safeguarding Nigeria’s sovereignty.

“His enduring dedication and achievements will forever be remembered in the annals of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the nation at large,” he said.

The CDS condoled with President Bola Tinubu, the family of the late General Lagbaja and all Nigerians over the sad loss and prayed to Almighty God to grant strength and comfort to his beloved wife, Mrs. Maria, and his family during this period of immense grief.

He emphasised that the Nigerian military and the nation will deeply feel the void left by General Lagbaja’s invaluable service, especially in these critical times of addressing national security challenges.

Acting COAS leads condolence delegation

The Acting Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Olufemi Oluyede, led a condolence delegation to the official residence of the late Gen. Lagbaja to commiserate with his widow, Mariya.

Lt – Gen Oluyede was with Principal Staff Officers of the Army Headquarters, Corps Commanders, and General Officers Commanding of the Nigerian Army.

Gen Oluyede extolled his gallantry, dedication, and legacies throughout his service years in the Nigerian Army.

Both Lt-Gen. Lagbaja and Lt.-Gen. Oluyede were mates, members of the 39th Regular Course of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA).

Lt.-Gen. Oluyede and the team moved towards the corner where the condolence register was placed.

He stepped forward smartly to sign the register behind which was placed the portrait of Gen. Lagbaja.

After writing his message, Lt.-Gen. Oluyede stepped backward and made a brisk salute.

He wrote: “It is with a huge sense of loss, albeit responsibility that I, on behalf of the officers and soldiers of the Nigerian Army, commiserate with Mrs Mariya Lagbaja, the children and the entire Lagbaja clan over the passing of our dogged, gallant and extremely dedicated leader, Lieutenant General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja (Nigerian Army Medal), Chief of Army Staff of the Nigerian Army. Lt Gen Lagbaja, without doubt, gave his all to the service of our dear nation. This was evident in his dedication to duty and the legacies he has left behind. We only take solace in the fact that we cannot in any way querry the Almighty. We surely owe him a whole lot. Rest in peace, our leader and hero. You will surely be missed. “

He contributed greatly to secure Nigeria

Defence Minister Mohammed Badaru and the Minister of Defence (State) Bello Matawalle said Gen. Lagbaja contributed greatly in securing the country against adversaries.

The ministers said the late army chief exhibited a high level of professionalism during his lifetime.

They described him as a team player who “exhibited the spirit of camaraderie and cooperation with us in the discharge of our mandate.”

“The passing on to eternal glory shocked us at the Ministry of Defence as our working relationship with him is commendable as he exhibited the spirit of camaraderie and cooperation with us in the discharge of our mandate.

“The late Chief of Army Staff contributed in no small measure to the internal security operations across Nigeria and also exhibited a high level of professionalism.

“He will be greatly missed by the family, the Military and the nation as he served the nation with commitment and dedication.

“May his soul rest in the bosom of the Lord.”

SOURCE

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending