Connect with us

News

Abuja Hotel: Police Detain Two As Femi Fani-Kayode’s Aide Slumps, Dies

Published

on

Former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode, has announced the passing of his Special Assistant, Mr. Ndifreke Saviour Mark.

Fani-Kayode, who disclosed this in a statement on Sunday night, October 20, 2024, said that Mark,52, slumped and d!ed at a hotel in the Garki area of Abuja.

The incident occurred on Sunday 13th October, 2024.

According to the police, he was lodged at the hotel with an individual after which he apparently slumped and died in the person’s presence.

Mark was taken to Asokoro District Hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

The ex-minister further disclosed that the individual Mark was with at the time of his death and the hotel receptionist have been detained by the police.

“It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my devoted Special Assistant, Mr. Ndifreke Saviour Mark, who was with me for no less than 34 years,” Fani Kayode wrote.

“He left home at 5.40am on the morning of Sunday 13th October for morning Mass as he was a devoted Catholic and member of the Catholic Church of Assumption, Asokoro after which he went to a hotel by the name of Mildy Lodge and Apartments in Garki, Abuja.

“According to the police he took a room at the hotel and spent some time there with an individual after which he apparently slumped and died in that individual’s presence.

“He was taken to Asokoro District Hospital, was pronounced dead upon arrival and has since been put in the hospital morgue. The individual he was with at the time of his death in the hotel is now in police custody and I have insisted on a full criminal investigation of the matter and an autopsy.

“The hotel receptionist has also been detained by the police whilst both the manager and the owner of the hotel were invited for questioning earlier this week.

“The entire hotel was also sealed up by the police for two days and the room in which he lodged remains sealed till today. I have broken the sad news to his family, I have met with his wife Barrister Patience Ndifreke-Mark and his Uncle, Mr. Clement Mathias, (who represented his family) and I have also told them of my intention to ensure that, if indeed there is any foul play, justice is done and those behind it are brought to book.

“Mark was like a son to me and his passing is a huge blow to me and my entire family. We shared many dreams and aspirations and fought many battles together shoulder to shoulder.

Now he has gone it has left much pain but I give thanks to God for his life and for the 52 years that he spent on earth. I have assured his wife and family of my intention to stand by them at this difficult time and to ensure that they do not lack or want for anything.

“I have absolute confidence in the FCT Police Command to get to the bottom of this matter after which we can proceed to bury a man that was my most loyal staff and most trusted aide.

“Most important of all is the fact that he was a kind, reliable and compassionate soul who brought joy to many and who was incapable of hurting a fly. I will never forget him and though he has passed he lives on in our hearts.

“I thank all those that have found the time to come and mourn with us at this difficult time. May Ndifreke’s precious soul rest in peace and may the Lord comfort his wife and two beautiful young children.”

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending