Connect with us

News

Cooking Gas Price Crashes To N1,500/Per KG Amid Hardship

Published

on

As Nigerians struggle with the high cost of petrol, the price of Liquefied Petroleum Gas, also known as cooking gas, has also increased to N1,500/kg.

But the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of NIPCO Plc, Suresh Kumar, said the Dangote refinery and other domestic refineries would bring down the price of cooking gas, expressing concerns that over 60 per cent of cooking gas consumed in Nigeria is being imported.

Checks by our correspondent confirmed that the prices of cooking gas peaked at N1,500/kg in some retail outlets in Ogun and Lagos States as of Sunday.

In Abuja, the average price for refilling a 12.5kg cylinder of cooking gas has increased by 41.6 per cent to N17,000 in different areas.

The PUNCH reports that the same commodity sold for N12,000 in July and N11,735 in January 2024.

This sharp price rise reflects ongoing trends in the market and may have implications for consumers, many of whom rely on LPG for their daily cooking needs.

In August, the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Gas), Ekperikpe Ekpo, promised to ensure a reduction in the rising cost of a kilogram of cooking gas.

Ekpo noted that he would invite the regulators and the gas producers to find ways to bring down the cost.

However, a new market survey conducted by our correspondent on Sunday revealed that the price has not decreased; instead, it has risen even further.

An analysis showed that the product currently sells for N17,000 in Lokogoma area of the FCT, an increase of 41.6 per cent from N12,000 vendors sold to customers three months ago. This means one kilogram of gas was sold for N1,400.

In Kubwa, the product was sold between N16,200 and N16,500 from N12,000 previously charged. But in the outskirt area of Bwari, Kurudu and Jikwoyi, the product sold for N1,300.

Some major distributors still sell the product between N1,300 and N1,400 depending on the location.

The Commissioner for Environment in Ogun State, Ola Oresanya, once told one of our correspondents that many might resort to charcoal for cooking if the price of LPG continues to rise.

However, speaking at the just-concluded National Conference of the Nigerian Association of Liquefied Petroleum Gas Marketers 2024, held in Lagos, Kumar, revealed that local production of LPG remains inadequate, urging the Federal Government to encourage Chevron to convert more of its propane output into propane.

“Currently, less than 40 per cent of the 1.5 million metric tonnes consumed domestically is produced locally. This is why the government must encourage companies like Chevron to convert more of their propane output into butane, which is more suitable for domestic use,” he explained.

Responding to questions about the rising cost of LPG amid a blend of local and imported supply, the managing director expressed optimism that prices would decline as domestic production improves, especially as the local refineries source crude oil locally.

“With the Dangote refinery and other refineries now sourcing crude oil in local currency, the volume of LPG produced locally is expected to increase, which will, in turn, drive down the price of the commodity,” the MD explained.

He added, “There is hope that the reliance on imported LPG will decrease, which will positively influence the prices at which the product is sold domestically. Greater local production will make LPG more affordable since it reduces exposure to foreign exchange fluctuations and international pricing dynamics.”

According to him, boosting local production would attract further investments in pipelines, storage, and bottling facilities, as well as expand retail outlets and LPG depots across Nigeria.

“Our latest assessments show that the existing downstream infrastructure is capable of handling up to 5 million MT annually. This means we are ready to accommodate increased production from both associated and non-associated gas fields within the country,” the MD said.

He urged the government to introduce incentives to encourage investments in gas processing.

According to him, NIPCO, which has been operational since 2004, initially entered the industry as a marketer of white products (petroleum fuels).

He, however, emphasised that the company’s long-term vision has always been to become a leader in the marketing and distribution of LPG.

Kumar said, “Our strategy was driven by the fact that Nigeria has over 200 trillion cubic feet of gas reserves. We believe that the country’s gas consumption must be optimised through the promotion of both LPG for domestic use and CNG for the industrial and transportation sector.”

He further emphasised the company’s investments in infrastructure, noting that NIPCO has expanded its LPG operations significantly over the years.

“In 2008, we invested in an LPG facility in Apapa with a capacity of 5,000 metric tonnes. Today, that same facility has grown to over 20,000 metric tonnes, thanks to strategic partnerships with our subsidiaries.

“We have also deployed LPG tankers and established multiple stations across Nigeria to ensure easy access to cooking gas for households nationwide,” Kumar revealed.

He further explained that while LPG is essential for homes, CNG will play a key role in powering industries and transforming the transportation sector.

The managing director added, “At the time NIPCO entered the market, Nigeria’s domestic LPG consumption was around 50,000 metric tonnes annually,” he stated.

“However, the past 16 to 17 years have been a remarkable journey. Today, the market has grown from 50,000 MT to approximately 1.5 million MT per year.”

Despite the growth, Kumar pointed out that significant potential remains untapped, saying less than 60 per cent of Nigeria’s 200 million population has embraced the use of LPG.

“Our vision is to harness these opportunities and grow the country’s LPG consumption from 1.5 million MT to levels more appropriate for a population of over 200 million people.

“We must work with the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority and other stakeholders to end gas flaring in the country. Substantial investments are needed to capture and process flared gas to increase domestic supply beyond the current 1.5 million MT to at least 5 million MT annually,” he stressed.

The NIPCO boss acknowledged that demand for LPG in Nigeria has been relatively stagnant due to the high cost of the product.

“The current high prices have limited consumption growth, but this situation is only temporary. With more players entering the gas processing sector, we anticipate a market correction soon,” he stated, believing that the market would stabilise in the long run.

He urged the Federal Government to support local refineries, including the Dangote Refinery, to boost domestic gas production.

“It is crucial for the government to back these refineries in their efforts to significantly increase LPG output. This will drive down retail prices and make the product more accessible to Nigerians,” he posited.

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending