Connect with us

News

Breaking: Allow Me Govern Rivers, Fubara Tells Wike

Published

on

Rivers State Governor Siminialayi Fubara has called on his estranged benefactor and predecessor, Chief Nyesom Wike, whom he referred to as my oga, to allow him govern the state.

Speaking on Politics Today, Fubara said there was no need for anybody to destroy things in the state recalling that when Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja, was the Governor, Rivers was the envy of all.

He told the Minister that it was time for governance and not politics noting that he should be allowed to concentrate on governance.

When asked what could have been the bone of contention, Fubara said be would not discuss it but that it bordered on power and control.

He said: “My appeal is that everyone should shield their sword. Even to the Minister, my oga, there is no need to destroy things. He once ruled and the state was the envy of every other state.

“Another person is there now what he needs is to give his support. After four years or who knows eight years I will also leave and another person will take over. That should be the spirit.

“When the election comes, you can fight and do whatever. But now is time for governance. We need all the support. We are complaining that Nigeria oil production is low and we are trying to improve our production stage, we have the problems in Emohua and Degema we are trying to manage it and we are now adding in-house issues. This is an in-house issue that ought not to be out.

“We all know the issue. It is very simple. It has to do with the issue of power and control. You have all seen it in this case. If election had been held in Rivers and council chairmen had been inaugurated in a normal situation do we even need anybody to go and obstruct them from entering the secretariats?

“Maybe there is somebody somewhere who believes that he is higher than the authority in the state. It is all issues of power. I don’t intend to discuss it and I don’t want to take issues with that. I want to focus on governance and manage the situations as much as I can.

Fubara added: ” I don’t think there is any understanding we had that I haven’t kept. There is no understanding that we had that I haven’t kept. Like I said I won’t want to discuss those issues”.

Fubara said though, he welcomed the intervention of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who called for peace, he was worried that only his name was mentioned in the statement.

He said: “I don’t have any issue with the President intervention. But I am a bit concerned when my name was only mentioned. But like I said since it is coming from the President, I have no comments about it.

“This issue is simple. It is as simple as an ABC. Everyone in Nigeria and Rivers knows where this issue is coming from. It is not rocket science. The issue is not Fubara”.

Fubara partly blamed the total withdrawal of policemen from the secretariats by the Inspector-General of Police for the violent protest that swept across Rivers on Monday.

He said: ” I believe strongly that with the recent intervention of the IGP we would have peace. Maybe as a result of him pulling h

“It was what I was thinking. I was never of the opinion that the Nigerian police should pull out completely. But when they said they were moving out it was what gave the opportunity for these miscreants to take advantage of the secretariats to destroy them. I understand that. They should come back and join hands with the chairmen to protect the councils’ property”.is men out of those secretariats was one of the reason why they took advantage of that. If the officers had been there and the elected officers would also have the opportunity to do their work. They should provide security.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

Trending