News
Petrol Supply: NNPCL, Dangote Lock Horns As Price Reduction Hope Fades
The prevailing confusion in the petroleum sector worsened on Sunday, as the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited and Dangote Refinery engaged in a war of words on the pricing template.
This comes as Dangote Refinery on Sunday commenced petrol distribution.
NNPCL was the inaugural off-taker of Dangote Refinery’s Petrol.
Minister of Finance, Wale Edun who visited the refinery on Sunday said the facility would ensure energy security in Nigeria.
On the pricing, Edun said as Dangote Refinery and other refineries scale up production, it may impact pricing.
Recall that NNPCL had earlier confirmed that its trucks have started loading Dangote Petrol.
The company said 16.8 million liters of PMS had been loaded from Dangote at N898 per liter price. This was where the problem started.
Dangote Group, in a statement by its spokesperson, Anthony Chiejina, described NNPLC’s N898 per liter price statement as misleading and mischievous.
The company said NNPCL’s lifting of its petrol was part of the crude oil sale in Naira deal with the Nigerian government.
Dangote Refinery said Nigerians should “Await a formal announcement on the pricing, by the Technical Sub-Committee on Naira-based crude sales to local refineries, appointed by His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, which will commence on October 1, 2024, bearing in mind that our current stock of crude was procured in dollars”.
However, Dangote was unclear on the exact price it sold petrol to NNPCL at this initial stage.
Reacting to Dangote’s statement on pricing, NNPCL spokesperson, Olufemi Soneye insisted that the company sold petrol to it at N898 per litre.
“We stand by our earlier statement that Dangote Refinery petrol is sold to us at N898 per liter.
“We have documents to back this point,” he told DAILY POST exclusively.
The development has left Nigerians more perplexed regarding the country’s energy security.
This is as Petroleum Marketers earlier expressed worries over the opaqueness regarding Dangote Refinery’s petrol pricing.
The President of the Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Owners Association, PETROAN, Billy Gillis-Harry said, “We cannot be dealing with business clandestinely. Let the industry know what is going on”.
Similarly, the president of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Abubakar Maigandi said that the price of Dangote Refinery is unclear for now.
“We are sure that the product will be available. The price for now we are not sure what it will look like”.
Dangote Refinery’s Petrol price N28 more expensive than NNPCL’s fuel
A comparative analysis of Dangote Petrol indicated that it is more expensive than Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited’s imported fuel, which stood at N870 per liter.
Earlier, petroleum marketers confirmed that the average price NNPCL sold petrol to them stood at N870 per liter depending on the location.
The President of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria confirmed that the average price of petrol from NNPCL stood at N870 per liter.
“We already have petrol at N870 per liter price from NNPCL,” Gillis-Harry told DAILY POST.
Amid the confusion surrounding Dangote Refinery Petrol pricing, Channels Television’s Data Analyst, Babajide Ogunsanwo said the development would be a headache to Dangote Refinery, NNPCL, Nigerians and President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s government.
“The evidence we have is that the price from Dangote Refinery is N898 per liter, the same product NNPCL imports at N840.
“So clearly, Aliko Dangote will have some headaches.
“The citizens will have some headaches because the price of petrol is not about to go down,” he said.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News20 minutes agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
