News
Video: Uber Driver Charged With Murdering Woman Down The Street From Her Home
Police say an Uber driver recently arrested in the death of an Indianapolis woman admitted he raped, shot and killed her after picking her up from work Sunday morning, September 8.
Francisco Valadez, 29, was arrested Tuesday morning, September 10, by Indianapolis homicide detectives and preliminarily charged with murder.
The Uber driver reportedly admitted to police that he shot and killed 30-year-old Chanti Dixon in a fit of rage after picking her up and attempting to rape her in the back of his car.
Valadez also allegedly admitted to dumping Dixon’s body in an alleyway in a wooded area near the victim’s home after trying to rape her corpse again.
“This is just disgusting all around and it did not have to happen,” said Indianapolis Metro police chief Chris Bailey.
According to court documents filed Tuesday in Marion County Court, officers were called around 1 p.m. Monday, September 9, to the 1800 block of Wagner Lane after a woman’s body was found in a nearby wooded area.
IMPD arrived to find a woman naked, unresponsive and lying on her stomach. The victim’s family said they tracked her phone to the woods behind her home where they found her body and called the police.
The woman, later identified by the Marion County Coroner’s Office as Dixon was pronounced dead on the scene.
After the crime scene was processed for evidence, it was discovered that Dixon had suffered a gunshot wound to the left side of her head.
A woman near the scene told police that the dead woman was her daughter who had been missing since early Sunday morning. The woman told officers her daughter had gotten off work around 3:30 a.m. and ordered an Uber to get home. No one had talked to her since.
IMPD crews reportedly found two cell phones in the wooded area near Dixon’s body, both of which belonged to Dixon. Her mother gave police the passcodes for both phones, which investigators said would eventually lead them to Valadez.
Once back at the homicide office, detectives found that Dixon had ordered an Uber at 3:34 a.m. from the 2300 block of W. 16th Street. She reportedly made one stop along Washington Street in the Uber before being taken in the same car to her home address on Earhart Street.
According to data stored in the Uber app, Dixon’s driver drove a BMW with an Indiana license plate, which detectives later connected to Valadez.
Detectives then went to Valadez’s home and began questioning him about Dixon. He told police that he did pick up Dixon on Sunday but then began to tell a story of how an armed Black man came up to his car and tried to rob Dixon.
“[Valadez] added that the suspect shot [Dixon] in the thigh and that she kicked herself out of his car and he fled the scene,” police wrote.
“He also said that he had cleaned the blood out of his car.”
Police also reportedly spoke with Valadez’s mother, who told them that her son owned a gun that he regularly carried. She added that he had recently cleaned out his car.
After seizing items inside his car for evidence, police took Valadez in for interrogation.
Admission and arrest Detectives took Valadez to the IMPD homicide office where he was reportedly read his Miranda Rights and signed a waiver agreeing to speak with police.
After telling several stories about what happened to Dixon, Valadez reportedly admitted what actually happened.
“Mr Valadez told two different stories as to what happened with Ms Dixon,” police wrote in the court documents.
Detectives said Valadez admitted to raping the woman in the back of his car.
While raping the woman, Valadez said she insulted his body. This reportedly caused him to become enraged and shoot Dixon in the head.
Valadez told police that after the shooting, he dragged Dixon out of his car and placed her lifeless body behind a concrete barrier at the dead end of Wagner Lane.
The Uber driver also admitted to trying to have sex with Dixon’s dead body, police said.
Valadez was then taken into custody by IMPD and later booked into the Marion County Jail on a felony murder charge. IMPD officials said Tuesday that more charges can be expected in the case.
An initial court hearing has not yet been scheduled.
Indianapolis police officials held a news conference Tuesday afternoon discussing Dixon’s murder and the arrest of Valadez.
“This is disgusting, it’s disturbing,” IMPD Chief Chris Bailey said during the conference.
“No one deserves to be treated this way in our community and I am so sorry to her family that we’re here today.”
Bailey then touched on the effect this has on the victim’s family.
“This is a family that’s been ripped apart,” he said.
“This woman is gone from the world unnecessarily by an evil act, and I’m glad that we were able to find this individual as quickly as we did so that he didn’t have an opportunity to perpetuate violence further in our community.”
IMPD’s social media accounts posted a photo of a gun seized in relation to the case.
Bailey indicated that more charges were forthcoming in the case and stressed that the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office would make the final charging decision.
“Women, girls, mothers … they have a right to exist freely in our community without fear of something heinous happening to them,” said IMPD Assistant Chief Catherine Cummings. “They have a right to walk, bike, order a rideshare without fearing something bad will happen to them.”
While they insist the murder is an isolated incident, IMPD said ride-share users can always share their location with friends and family and that women should trust their instincts if things feel dangerous.
“Rideshares continue to be an excellent and safe option to use when you’re out in our community,” said Cummings. “This is a family’s worst nightmare. We’re disgusted by these allegations.”
Watch the video below:
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News2 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
News6 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
