Connect with us

News

ALAU DAM Collapse: Our Livelihoods Washed Away By Flood – Borno Residents

Published

on

Following the collapse of the Alau Dam in Maiduguri, Borno State, residents have lamented that their livelihoods have been washed away.

The dam collapsed on Tuesday, causing a humanitarian crisis in the Borno State capital as flood devastated much of the metropolis, leaving thousands of residents trapped.

From officials 37 people have been killed as a result of the flood, while prisoners have also escaped.

It was also gathered that graveyards had been submerged while dangerous animals had crept into the communities, of which about 75 per cent had been taken over by water.

The Shehu of Borno’s palace, the State Secretariat, Customs, the State Specialist Hospital, UNIMAID, and Gwange areas have been submerged by floodwaters following the collapse of the Alau Dam in the Konduga local government area of Borno State.

Millionaires’ Quarters around Gamboru Ward and its environs have been consumed. The famous Lagos Bridge, which was overtaken by the flood, has also been blocked, as has the Moduganari bypass bridge, which has similarly been submerged.

The Zoo Road was also flooded, with water gushing into the College of Health Technology Maiduguri, where students had already been relocated to the School of Nursing. The water also flowed towards the Commissioner of Police junction via Damboa Road.

Aisha Umar, a mother of seven and tomato seller at the famous Gamboru Ngala vegetable market, said most of her items were washed away by the flood. They were unaware of what happened because there was no rain.

She said that the little she made from her daily sales was used to support her husband, who was doing a menial job, to augment the needs of their family of seven.

The devastated Aisha, who is among the Gamboru vegetable sellers now displaying their goods at the front of the Stadium Shopping Complex Station Kano in the Moduganari area of Maiduguri following their temporary relocation by the State government, said their homes in the Customs area of Maiduguri were equally overtaken by the flood, rendering them homeless.

She said the flood even pulled down the muddy section of their house, adding that they now reside around the Moduganari area with relatives as displaced persons.

“We are appealing to the government to come to our aid and provide relief for our immediate needs. Feeding has become a challenge for the children as the little income we were getting before is no longer forthcoming,” she said.

For Muhammed Abba, a resident of Lagos Street in the new GRA area of Maiduguri, one of the channels from which the flood raged, the whole situation appeared like a dream because he least expected such a level of flooding at home since there had been no rainfall.

He said he was at home when he heard his neighbour’s alarm around 2 a.m. that fateful day. Upon inquiring about the reason for the alarm, the neighbours alerted him that a flood was approaching their home.

Abba said he was still discussing the approaching water when he noticed the entire area around the house gradually submerged.

He said it was then that he evacuated his family members to the Polo area of Maiduguri before returning to find the house submerged as high as his height. Hence, he fled to join his family in the Polo area, where he had taken them.

In a similar vein, another resident of the Customs area of Maiduguri, Bala Saidu, who fled with his family to the Baga Road area of Maiduguri when the flood submerged their house, said that the whole situation felt like a nightmare he would never wish on anyone.

“We were sleeping when we suddenly noticed that water was flooding into our house, even though there had been no rain in the area even the previous day. While trying to clear our belongings out of the house, the flood suddenly raged in, forcing us to abandon our belongings and flee for our safety.

“As I speak with you, there is not much left for me to feed my family. If urgent help doesn’t come from the government, many of us, the victims of this flood, might die of starvation. The flood has submerged my provision store, which is the source of our livelihood.

“We need assistance from the government and spirited individuals to cushion the effect of what has occurred to us. We don’t have clothes and other necessities for our children,” Malam Saidu said.

Meanwhile, Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum, who visited the various temporary centres where the flood victims were relocated in the capital, said that over one million citizens have been affected by the flood.

“We have separated them into different camps and are already providing support. We will come up with long-term and short-term measures as soon as we take the data of the people affected.

“The water this year exceeded the dam’s capacity, and we had hefty rainfall, possibly due to climate change. What we need to do now is to reconstruct the dam.

SOURCE

 

Advertisement

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending