News
Widower Paralysed After Police Brutality In Lagos
A commercial bus driver, Adewale Oseni, is seeking justice after he was allegedly brutalised by a police officer identified simply as Supol Akeem attached to Makinde Police Station in Oshodi, Lagos.
Oseni told PUNCH Metro on Tuesday that he was returning from the food vendor where he had gone to purchase food for his three children on July 14 at about 10 pm when the officer accosted him.
He said efforts to show him the food he bought and also appeal to him were ignored by the police officer also said to be identified as Spider.
The widower whose wife passed away three months ago claimed that Akeem soon hit him with an iron baseball baton on the spot.
“The bus I drove had a mechanical fault at Iyana-Isolo, so I got a mechanic to fix it. The repairs took my time till past 10 pm. On getting home, my children, aged 14, 10 and six years old, had not slept. They told me the food I left for them before I left home had been eaten in the afternoon and they had nothing to eat in the evening. Meanwhile, their mother passed on about two months ago. So, I left home that night to buy them food at a canteen nearby at Alhaja’s place on Oshodi Road.
“On my way back home, a vehicle parked closely behind me. I noticed he was a police officer attached to the Makinde Police Station at Oshodi known as Supol Akeem aka Spider. I pleaded with him and showed him the food I went to buy for my children but he was heady and tough with me. He knows me very well within the community as a commercial bus driver. I begged him for minutes and he still made up his mind to take me to the station with the food I bought for my children. As I continued begging him, he refused to listen to my plea, he was holding an iron (baseball baton) which he used to hit me hard on my right leg.”
The victim said he was taken to the police station and locked up while he was also feeling an excruciating pain in his leg.
The Oyo State-born transport worker said he was taken to the Lagos State Task Force office the following day from where he ended up in court and later sentenced to prison.
“The next morning, he ordered all of us he picked that night to come out of the cell. We were about six in number. Some called their family members who came to bail them, and those of us who couldn’t reach out to our families were asked to write down our names. He then ordered us to board the minibus known as Korope, and then drove us to the task force office at Oshodi without being caught stealing and not being in conflict with the law.
“I was told to write a statement at the task force office. About 30 minutes later, I was called along with others that the lawyer wanted to see us. I explained everything that happened to the magistrate. With all my plea, I was sentenced to three weeks in Kirikiri correctional centre. I felt so bad and pained because my children didn’t know my whereabouts or what happened to me.”
He said the injury he sustained in his leg due to the assault by Akeem worsened during the time he spent in prison.
Kaduna police probe officers assaulting man in viral video
He also recalled how the police officer used handcuffs to tighten his hand which resulted in injuries on his wrists.
After his release on August 10, he said the injuries on both his hands and legs festered and turned to big sours.
“Since my release on August 10, the pain continued. I couldn’t sleep or eat. I can’t do anything or go to work because of the leg. It’s just dripping water and paining me. When I got to the health centre at Oshodi, they said I would be treated just for today and that if I wanted them to continue treating my leg, I should get a police report. I wondered because I didn’t sustain a gunshot injury. The handcuff Akeem used to tighten my hand inflicted serious injuries on my wrists. The correctional centre at Kirikiri tried for me because they have a health facility within. I was given medications and injections but it doesn’t look like I got real treatment,” he added.
While noting that the injuries had paralysed him, Oseni called for the intervention of the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, and the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Kayode Fayoade.
He also demanded compensation for the injury inflicted on him by the officer, while also calling for his prosecution.
According to him, he could no longer work to fend for his family following his ordeal
“I want the police to pay my bills, pay me a compensation and also punish the officer who abused his office despite knowing me as a commercial bus driver, all because I couldn’t reach out to my family as my phone got lost during the arrest and couldn’t call anyone to bail me. So he preferred sending me to jail because of personal interest. My children are also feeling the heat because their mother died two months ago. I couldn’t fend for my children as expected,” he added.
The Coordinator of Advocates for Children and Vulnerable Persons Network, Ebenezer Omejalile, condemned the action, describing the officer’s action as inhumane treatment.
He said, ‘’This is the most inhuman treatment meted out to a non-offender citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. This is simply police brutality, abuse of office, human rights abuse, racketeering, agencies conspiracy theory and miscarriage of the criminal justice system against law-abiding citizens of Nigeria. The alleged perpetrator, Akeem aka Spider, has been on our raider for some time for his abusive behaviour at every given opportunity. What is the correlation between the task office and sentencing?
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, could not be reached as calls made to his telephone were not responded to. A text message sent to him had yet to be replied to as of the time this report was filed.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News9 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News5 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment6 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
