News
UK: Race Riots Leave Nigerians Living In Fear
Nigerians living in the United Kingdom have expressed fear over the recent attacks on immigrants in the country, saying they feel threatened and unsafe.
Britain has been plunged into a series of protests that erupted early last week following the death of three young girls in a knife attack in Southport, northwest England.
The police arrested a 17-year-old male as the suspected killer of the victim. However, rumour soon spread that the suspect was an Islamist migrant.
Consequently, several thousand far-right natives gathered near Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Downing Street office in Central London to protest.
The protest soon turned into riots as security agents arrested 100 suspects.
There have been riots in more than 20 cities across Britain, including Sunderland, Plymouth and Belfast.
Protesters attacked mosques, buildings housing asylum seekers, cars and houses, including a library, which was set ablaze. Shops were also looted.
Starmer warned that the rioters would be sentenced within a week.
Despite the assurance given, some Nigerians told Saturday PUNCH that the rioters targeted immigrants, and some homes belonging to Nigerians were attacked.
A Nigerian engineer living in London, Toyyib Adelodun said, “London has been generally safe, but the Nigerian community is feeling unsafe in places where the riots were intense like Middlesborough and Plymouth. We have reported attacks on some Nigerian homes and some people couldn’t leave their houses for some days.”
Nigeria ranked ninth African investment destination
Another Nigerian IT professional, Dr Evelyn Okpanachi, blamed the riot on misinformation.
“It’s deeply saddening to witness the rise in violence in the UK, especially the unjust targeting of immigrants. Misinformation has fueled unrest across cities. While law enforcement is doing its best to intervene, more must be done to end this violence,” Okpanachi added.
Another Nigerian student at Cambridge University, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Black British were not excluded from the attacks.
The source said, “I feel threatened because it is targeted towards immigrants. Even the immigrants who are already citizens are also targeted because they are not whites. I feel threatened because it’s been violent and lives have been lost.”
Also, a senior lecturer in London, Dr Oyedele Ogundana said, “As a Nigerian and a person of colour, it’s natural to feel concerned for one’s safety and that of loved ones. Nonetheless, we remain hopeful that peace will be restored.”
But a realtor, Maxwell Adeyemi, who lives in Bradford, said the unrest did not get to the ward, adding that there was peace in the area.
He said, “The tension has created panic almost everywhere in the UK. However, my area in West Yorkshire, the city of Bradford is calm. I can say it’s the headquarters of immigrants in the UK.”
The British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Richard Montgomery, assured that Nigerians in the UK are safe.
Montgomery spoke on Wednesday during a meeting with the Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa.
The envoy said, “We will not, as a country, accept discrimination or attacks against any community.”
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News1 hour agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
News5 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
