News
Curfew In Kaduna, Bauchi, Plateau After Looting Of Bank, Businesses
Kaduna, Bauchi and Plateau states were put under curfew blanket yesterday following mass looting during the economic crisis protests.
The protests in the North, a region that has been reeling under serious terrorism and bandit attacks, took a turn for the worse, forcing governors of the affected states to take tough measures.
The Plateau State government Caleb Mutfwang imposed a 24-hour curfew on Jos North Local Government on Sunday night to curb escalating violence.
The protest, led by General Overseer of Evangelical Outreach (EBOMI), Isa El-Buba, and National Coordinator of the Initiative for Better and Brighter Nigeria (IBBN)/ former Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, commenced on a peaceful note.
The state government had even commended them on the peaceful protest.
But, on Sunday, things went awry when a strange group of protesters appeared in some parts of Jos North while the first set was on break.
The latter group held up Russian flags and unleashed violence.
While the original group converged daily at Old Airport Roundabout in Jos, the new violent group moved from street to street, looting property.
They invaded Bauchi Road in Zololo, Dilimi, Sabon Layi, Filling Ball, Congo Russia, Angwan Rogo and environs.
Mutfwang said the curfew was with effect from Sunday midnight.
He said it was declared “in consultation with state security agencies after reviewing the actions of unscrupulous individuals who exploited the nationwide protest to unleash terror on innocent citizens”.
The governor noted that these criminal elements “armed with daggers, machetes, and other dangerous weapons, broke into shops and restaurants along Bauchi Road and Zololo Junction, looting foodstuffs and other valuable items”.
He warned those planning to unleash further terror on innocent citizens to desist immediately or face the full wrath of the law.
The group of violent protesters, mostly underaged fundamentalists, defied the curfew and continued with their looting yesterday.
Governor Mutfwang also convened a security council meeting yesterday, after which the Commissioner of Police, Emmanuel Adesina, said 14 individuals were arrested for violating the curfew.
El-Buba faulted the curfew, claiming it was an attempt to stifle citizens’ voices.
“We are amazed and so disappointed with the curfew declaration by the state government. There is nothing that warrants it.
“Plateau State has been adjudged as hosting the most peaceful protest all over the world. History has been made here.
“Thousands of Muslims on the first, second and third days of the protest shielded by their Christian brothers and sisters.
“On Sunday, Christians in their thousands were shielded by Muslims in their thousands. It has never happened,” he added.
But, Adesina urged residents to comply with the curfew or risk arrest.
“The Plateau State Police Command is poised to maintain peace in the state and will not allow any person or group of individuals to plunge the State into unruly turmoil.”
Curfew in Kaduna
As protesters who regrouped in Kaduna yesterday embarked on a looting spree, the state government declared a 24-hour curfew on the Kaduna and Zaria metropolises.
The protesters marched on the major streets of Kaduna and Zaria, waving Russian flags.
They were dispersed at the NEPA Roundabout after they started looting public and private property.
They vandalised property at AIT and Vision FM offices within the Nagwamatse House.
Announcing the curfew in a statement, Overseeing Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, said the protest had been hijacked by criminal elements.
“The Kaduna State Security Council under the leadership of Governor Uba Sani, following a review of the security situation in the state, hereby notifies citizens of the following:
“There is sufficient evidence to clearly indicate that the ongoing protest has been hijacked by criminal elements who have resorted to looting of shops and destruction of private and public property.
“In view of this unfortunate development, the Kaduna State Security Council has unanimously resolved to impose a 24-hour curfew on Kaduna and Zaria metropolises and environs with immediate effect.
“Citizens are advised to remain indoors while security forces continue to work to maintain safety and security.
“Monitoring will be sustained for review of the curfew as required,” he said.
Council secretariat, ex-dep. Governor House torched in Bauchi
Bauchi Governor, Bala Mohammed, also imposed a 24-hour curfew in Katagum LGA.
It followed violent incidents, destruction of public property and theft.
Some hoodlums in Azare of Katagum LGA vandalised the government lodge and the country home of the immediate-past deputy governor, Senator Baba Tela.
They set ablaze the local government secretariat.
The governor’s directive is contained in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Ibrahim Muhammad Kashim.
He directed all security agencies to take swift action to address the situation, apprehend those responsible and bring them to justice.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News8 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News4 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment5 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
