Connect with us

News

Kano Mosque Attack Death Toll Rises To Eight

Published

on

Death toll from the Gezawa Mosque attack in Kano State has risen to eight, with 17 others still in critical condition receiving treatment.

JomogNews learnt that seven more victims died while receiving treatment at the Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital in Kano, as confirmed by the police.

SP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Police Command, confirmed the number, adding that 17 others were still receiving treatment at the hospital.

Kiyawa said the victims died as a result of the injuries they sustained in the tragic incident.

A family dispute over the sharing of inheritance prompted a 38-year-old principal suspect, Shafiu Abubakar, to set a mosque on fire.

Sources at the Larabar-Albasawa village explained that Shafiu sprayed the mosque area with petroleum, locked the door, and set it on fire, trapping about 40 worshippers inside.

It was also gathered that almost every household had a member among the affected 40 people in the village.

The police spokesman said 17 victims were still receiving treatment at the hospital.

Earlier on Wednesday, AIG Umar Mamman Sanda led a delegation of security personnel, including the Commissioner of Police in the State and the Director of DSS, on a visit to the victims at the Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital.

He said, “What happened is not associated with any act of terrorism, but rather, it was a skirmish that arose as a result of inheritance sharing.

“The suspect was said to be not satisfied with the distribution and was reacting to that.

“He is presently with us and is giving us useful information. It is really unfortunate. He used a locally made bomb to commit the crime.”

 

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Reserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s foreign exchange (FX) reserves have reached $48.5 billion, their highest level in nearly 13 years.

This milestone, confirmed by data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), surpasses previous multi-year peaks and represents the strongest balance since May 14, 2013, when reserves stood at approximately $48.51 billion.

However, the data showed that the foreign reserves increased steadily by 6.45 percent or $2.94 billion year-to-date, from $45.56 billion reported on January 1 to $48.5 billion.

Further checks showed that the FX reserves figure was $48.36 billion on Monday.

According to the CBN, FX reserves are assets held on reserve by a monetary authority in foreign currencies, which are used to back liabilities and influence monetary policy.

On December 22, 2025, the apex bank projected that the country’s external reserves would rise to $51.04 billion in 2026, saying the increase will be supported by FX reforms.

“Reforms in the foreign exchange market are expected to sustain exchange rate stability, while external reserves are projected to increase to US$51.04 billion,” CBN said.

On February 10, Olayemi Cardoso, governor of CBN, said the bank will do “whatever it takes” to safeguard the value of the naira, while strengthening the country’s external reserves.

Looking ahead to 2030, he said the CBN’s targets include achieving single-digit inflation and growing foreign exchange (FX) reserves driven by non-oil exports, foreign direct investment, and diaspora remittances.

 

Continue Reading

Trending