Connect with us

News

Mild Drama In Senate Over Sitting Arrangements In New Chamber

Published

on

There was drama yesterday in the Senate over the sitting arrangements, following the resumption of the senators for plenary at the newly renovated chambers.

The Senate had on March 20 adjourned plenary till April 16, but postponed resumption twice to allow for the completion of the chamber, which had been under renovation since 2022.

However, a rowdy session was averted by Senate President Godswill Akpabio, who calmed down his colleagues and urged the aggrieved ones to direct their complaints about the sitting arrangements to the appropriate quarters.

The plenary commenced at about 11:00am after Akpabio arrived the chamber and took his seat.

After the statutory prayers by him, he announced the names of senators whose birthdays took place during the recess.

Shortly after that, some ranking senators said the seats allocated to them in the front row on the last right side of the aisle was not proper.

Following Akpabio’s advice that they should channel their complaints to the right quarters, Senator Sahabi Ya’u (APC – Zamfara North) and.Senator Danjuma Goje (APC, Gombe Central) complained about the sitting arrangements to the Chairman, Senate Services Committee, Sunday Karimi (APC – Kogi West).

But, Senate Yemi Adaramodu (APC – Ekiti (South) denied that there was quarrel over sitting arrangements in a statement after the plenary.

He said: “There was no disagreement, rancour or any verbal tirade in respect of the sitting arrangements in the Senate chamber.

“The Senate resumed today in the newly renovated chamber and the sitting positions of senators were done in accordance to the established legislative protocols.

“It’s pertinent to know that rankings of senators and leadership positions are considered. All legislators all over the world know and accept this tradition.”

He added: “The new arrangements in the chamber today did not depart from this. Every senator is thus considered based on this legislative tradition, hence, there couldn’t be any confusion over seating arrangements.

“Senators have been observing this sitting protocols, even in the temporary chamber, hence, the unfounded story of a phantom fight over sitting arrangements is an unscrupulous attempt to drag the image of the Senate into an unnecessary and needless controversy.

“The general public should disregard this odious song of sorrow from these incorrigible wholesalers and retailers of falsehood.”

Senate should partner with Tinubu over poverty eradication

In his speech, Akpabio said the fight against poverty and hunger must be total and relentless, urging the National Assembly to collaborate with President Bola Tinubu to tackle the challenges.

He lamented insecurity in parts of the country and the recent increases in electricity tariffs and price of petrol.

Akpabio said: “As representatives of the people, it is our duty to address these challenges head-on and work towards a better future for all.

“Let us also not forget the importance of cooperation with our constituents. We were elected to represent their voices, hopes, and dreams.

“It is through our engagement and partnership with them that we can truly make a meaningful impact on their lives and the development of our nation.

“The National Assembly can only fly with two wings. Therefore, both the Senate and the House of Representatives must collaborate and cooperate and provide the wings for the National Assembly to fly and lift Nigerians up.

“We must at all times collaborate and cooperate with the other arms of government, without compromising our Constitutional duties, in order for our democracy to thrive.”

He added: “As senators, our efforts must be focused on restoring hope, righting wrongs, and upholding our commitments to the well-being of our people. Together, fueled by a renewed spirit of fraternity, unity, and solidarity, we must move forward and cooperate generously for the common good.

“Throughout history, the spirit of cooperation has brought about tremendous progress. Let us pool our resources, talents, and ideas, while respecting our differences and convictions of conscience.

“At the same time, let us not forget those trapped in the cycle of poverty. Our fight against poverty and hunger must be total and relentless, addressing its root causes and restoring dignity to the marginalized.

“His Excellency, President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, His Excellency Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, and many fellow Nigerians are working tirelessly to tackle this issue. It is our duty to support and amplify their efforts. Let us support the Renewed Hope Agenda.

“I am confident that we, as senators, can make a difference. We have been entrusted with an important role, and now is the time for courageous actions and strategies to drive this role.

“Together, let us implement a culture of care and an integrated approach to combat poverty, restore dignity to the downtrodden, and protect our precious natural resources.”

On insecurity and rising cost of utilities in the country, Akpabio said: “Shortly before we went on recess, our nation experienced events that shook our moral foundations. One of them was the callous ambush and murder of 17 soldiers on a peacekeeping mission in Delta State. This heinous act filled our hearts with deep sorrow, as it was one of the foulest deeds of our time.

“The scars it left behind will serve as a constant reminder, urging us to strive for justice, security, and a better world.

“No words can adequately express the depth of our grief, but let it be known that we are resolute in our determination to wage a war against insecurity to its logical conclusion.

“I urge the Executive Arm to spare no efforts in bringing those responsible for this heinous act to justice.

“We also witnessed the massive, fiery carnage on the East-West Road in Rivers State, which claimed five lives and caused destruction worth billions of Naira.

“Additionally, other issues such as the increase in electricity tariffs and petroleum product prices demand our attention. These incidents remind us of the urgency and gravity of the challenges we face as a nation.

“But what can we learn from these incidents? The loss of our soldiers reminds us of the grave threats we still face from insecurity and terrorism.

“The tragic explosion in Port Harcourt, claiming innocent lives and causing widespread devastation, highlights the urgency of addressing safety measures and ensuring the well-being of our citizens.

“The increase in tariffs and prices emphasizes the pressing need to address issues of affordability, inflation, and the overall well-being of our economy.

“These events, among others, reinforce the fact that our nation is confronted with multifaceted challenges.”

“They highlight the urgency and gravity of the issues we must confront, calling for our collective efforts to find sustainable.”

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

Trending