News
Army Vows To Avenge Killing Of Two Officers, Four Soldiers In Another Ambush
- Villagers fleeing from bandits move to Govt House
The army has vowed to avenge the killing at the weekend, of two officers and four soldiers in an ambush in Niger State.
It confirmed yesterday that the bodies had been found and remains of the Muslims among them buried.
Two injured soldiers in the ambush are receiving treatment at the military hospital.
The names of those killed have not been released.
It is the second time in a little over one month that military personnel, including officers will be killed in ambush during intervention in peace keeping.
Four officers and 13 soldiers brutally killed in Okuama, Delta State on March 14. Investigation into the matter is still ongoing.
Army spokesman Maj.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, said: “Troops gallantly fought through the ambush and eliminated several of the terrorists as well as captured some of their equipment.
“Sadly, the troops suffered a temporary setback as 6 personnel comprising two officers and four soldiers paid the supreme price.
“The General Officer Commanding 1 Division and Commander Operation Whirl Punch, Maj.-Gen. Landers Saraso has on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff sympathised with the families of the deceased personnel and promised them that the unfortunate setback will be avenged by the troops.
“He said the troops are currently trailing some of the terrorists who survived and fled after the encounter. He urged the good people of the State to go about their legitimate and lawful activities and reassured them that the Nigerian Army and other security agencies will ensure their protection at all times.”
According to Gen. Nwachukwu, the army, in line with its customs and traditions, had contacted the next of kins of the slain officers and soldiers, while the Muslims among them had been buried in line with Islamic injunction and with the consent and approval of their family members.
The Army spokesman stated that the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, was represented at the burial which took place at Minna Military Cantonment Cemetery by the Commander Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), Maj.-Gen. Kelvin Aligbe.
Gen. Nwachukwu said: “The deputy governor, representative of the COAS, GOC and other senior officers also visited the two wounded soldiers receiving medical attention at the Military Hospital and subsequently paid a condolence visit to the families of the deceased.”
Governor Mohammed Umar Bago, who sympathized with the Nigerian Army over the killing described the incident as atrocious, provocative and unacceptable.
He expressed his deepest sympathy with the security agencies who are daily making sacrifices to ensure the safety of citizens, with most of them paying the supreme price while assuring the Nigerian Army and every other conventional and non-conventional security agencies that his administration will not rest on it oars in providing all the needed support towards halting the nefarious activities of bandits.
He also commiserated with the families of the slain personnel and other vigilance group members.
In Zamfara State, which Governor Dauda Lawal described as the epicenter of banditry in the North, a group of indigenes, mainly women and children, under continuous threat of bandits have relocated to the Government House, Gusau for protection.
The villagers said they fled following the withdrawal of military security personnel from the area.
A male among them, Malam Umar Salisu, said: “Before now, there were military personnel attached to our village. Some of them were killed by bandits while some were withdrawn yesterday.
“There are no security personnel in our area now. That is why we decided to carry all our wives and children to come to Government House and seek for government’s intervention.”
Another fleeing community member, Hajia Aisha Usman expressed displeasure at the condition of people of the community.
She said: “We are highly disturbed. We receive threats of attacks from bandits on daily basis. There are no security personnel to protect us. We are seeking for government’s intervention.”
Another community member, Malam Wakkala Gurgu said: “we decided to come to Government House to inform the government about security threats in our community.
“We want government to take quick action as regards the security situation. Bandits are currently in our communities. We want government to help us and deploy security personnel to our area.”
Addressing the gathering on behalf of the state government, Commissioner for Science and Technology, Alhaji Wadatau Madawaki, explained that the bandits were mounting pressure because government had refused to negotiate with them.
Madawaki said: “The administration of Governor Dauda Lawal maintains its stand that it will not negotiate with bandits.
“I am happy with the way and manner you have conducted yourselves. I urge you to continue to be patient.
“The government has been making efforts to end lingering security challenges in the state.”
The commissioner added that government had made arrangements to return the fleeing villagers to their community in the company of security operatives.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News8 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News4 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment5 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
