Connect with us

News

Tinubu Keeps Mum As Nigerians Suffer Outrageous Electricity Tariff Hike

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu kept mum as the recent 240 per cent electricity tariff hike worsens the suffering being faced by Nigerians.

DAILY POST reports that the recent electricity tariff increase for customers has birthed another page of hardship for Nigerians.

While the residues of pain caused by the removal of subsidy and the Naira floating policies implemented by Tinubu’s Government last year still lingers, the hike in electricity tariff for customers under Band A, getting at least 20 hours of power supply, has further unsettled Nigerians.

In defence of the hike, the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, noted last Friday that 85 per cent of electricity will not be affected.

He added that the Government would save N1.14 trillion in electricity subsidies.

Despite Adelabu’s position, the Nigeria Labour Congress, Trade Union Congress, Lagos Chambers of Commerce and Industry, and Abuja Chambers of Commerce and Industry have all openly condemned the new electricity tariff hike.

They all agreed there is a cloud of confusion around the tariff implementation amid economic hardship.

Upon the new tariff announcement by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission Tuesday last week, the eleven Discos began implementing the N255 kilowatt-hours rate for customers getting 20 hours.

However, the implementation has attracted widespread dissatisfaction among electricity consumers.

Abuja Electricity Distribution Company apologized to consumers for wrongly applying new tariff hikes on B, C, D, and E customers, who were categorized as getting 16 hours of power supply.

Consequently, Abuja Disco was slammed with a fine of N200 million by NERC over the wrong billing of customers. The Commission also ordered the Disco to refund affected customers with energy tokens before 11 April, 2024.

Fear of Arbitrary Billing

Despite the sanction imposed on Discos, Nigerians are still apprehensive that all 12 million electricity consumers may bear the new tariff burden.

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, FCCPC, confirmed this when it asked the Government to order Discos to meter all Band A customers within 60 days.

FCCPC also stated that consumers in Bands B, C, D, and E should not be migrated to Band A without being metered.

According to NERC data, only 5.7 million electricity consumers are metered, while around 6.3 million are unmetered.

The development further heightened the fears of arbitrary billing by Discos.

Nigerians Paying for Darkness

While the electricity hike subsisted, the power supply remained epileptic nationwide.

National grid collapse, repairs by the Transmission Company of Nigeria and fire incidents have resulted in downtime.

This year alone, the grid has collapsed three times.

Electricity supply has dropped significantly since January due to gas constraints.

Meanwhile, the latest gas price increase of 11 per cent has further worsened Nigeria‘s power sector challenges.

This is why Kunle Olubiyo, the Nigerian Consumer Protection Network President, said Nigerians have continued to pay tariffs for darkness.

The Senior Staff Association of Electricity and Allied Companies, in a statement by its National Secretary, Nnamdi Ajibo, called for a reversal of the electricity tariff hike.

Band A electricity consumers

According to a list compiled by NERC, the eleven Discos have 481 Band A feeders, which supply consumers with at least 20 hours of electricity.

Meanwhile, electricity consumers under B, C, D, and E bands get 16 hours of power supply and below.

However, the Trade Union Congress has said no Nigerian receives 20 hours of power supply.

In contrast, the Association of Nigeria Electricity Distributors, ANED, insisted Nigerians receive 20 hours of power supply.

To address the confusion, NERC told Discos to publish a list of all Band A customers and set up a link to provide customers with information on their respective bands.

Experts React

In an exclusive interview with DAILY POST, Wumi Iledare, Professor Emeritus in Energy Economics and Executive Director of Emmanuel Egbogah Foundation, said the electricity tariff hike and gas price increase seem skewed to optimize producer surplus rather than consumer surplus.

He noted that there seems to be no penalty attached yet for Discos benefiting from the sudden rise in tariff but not delivering.

“New tariff is perhaps based on the increase in the wellhead price for natural gas for power generation.

“However, we must agree that N68 per KWhr is a price ceiling significantly below the market clearing price. So there are shortages due to high electricity demand at low prices.

“N68 is also not anywhere close to the fair return price of an economic good with decreasing marginal cost and average cost curve. It’s not even the socially optimal price of electricity either.

“So NERC had to do something apolitical, which ought to have been done long before now, but for institutional capture and political expediency that has seemed to be good judgement for too long. So it is better late than never. I guess the commissioners have come to understand these facts better than before.

“Of course, the accuracy of the tariff is speculative because of the many unknowns. It is perhaps arrived at based on assumptions and facts within the context of the pricing model applied.

“As more facts become available, the pricing model will be recalibrated in a self-adjusting manner. If what I am reading in the media is correct, there is a price discrimination application based on daily supply hours. Such a mechanism is not unusual in a segregated market structure in the power market.

“Looking at everything done so far within the last month in 2024 to spur up gas to power value chain, the presidential executive order 40, the increase in wellhead natural gas price by the Nigeria Petroleum Regulatory Authority, and discriminatory electricity tariff, the benefits seem to be skewed to optimize producer surplus than consumer surplus.

“Finally, regarding my take or endorsement, the biggest challenge with the implementation is how to properly distinguish the targeted class with the ability to pay and ensure 20+ hours of power supply to them.

“There seems to be no penalty attached yet for Discos benefiting from the sudden rise in tariff but not delivering. The ability to implement price discrimination is doubtful”, he told DAILY POST.

Similarly, Chinedu Amah, the CEO of Spark Online, a power sector investment forum, said the hike will enable the Government to unlock more cash to invest in things that will yield collective growth.

He noted that Nigeria does not necessarily have standard development for all citizens, stressing that it is difficult to define who is rich or poor by their place of residence.

“First of all, it is important to note that subsidy removal is a good move if it will enable the government to unlock more cash to invest in things that will yield collective growth.

“However, it is important to point out that we do not necessarily have standard development in all our cities; thus you cannot clearly define who is rich or poor in all cases by how they reside,” he said.

Meanwhile, an energy expert, Mr Eleojo Joseph, said the last one week had been hellish for Nigerians due to the electricity tariff hike.

He queried that there was no proper demarcation of Bands A, B, C, and E before the new tariff hike.

According to him, the hike will affect the country’s economy in the long run.

“It has been a week of complete anarchy, fraud and scam by the DISCOs on Nigerians, and the people are in total despair.

“How did we arrive here? We arrived here because we do not have a competent regulatory authority, and the Government does not understand the importance of electricity generation and distribution.

“NERC has been sleeping for eight years or more, and the incompetence is showing all over the sector. But thank God they have woken up from their slumber and are making all sorts of mistakes.

“The genesis of the problem is the lack of proper mechanism being put in place before the hike in price.

“It seems there is no interface between the operators and the Regulator. Was there proper demarcation or ringing of Band A, B, C, etc., users, and was it tested before they hiked the price?

“Who are the technical experts of the DISCOs? Who are their software and billing teams? So many questions to ask, but there won’t be answers.

“Why on earth will DISCOs lie on actual verifiable events? 20 hours of electricity is measurable. The DISCOs should be ready for litigation because there will be plenty of such cases in our courts in the coming months.

“The new sets of staff of the DISCOs are a fraudulent bunch who are only there to make money, and I foresee anarchy as most angry persons will take the law into their own hands and attack the DISCO staff on the field. We are headed to a dangerous state in Nigeria’s power sector.

“The economy is the ultimate loser in all of these things happening. More industries will relocate or close shops, unemployment will increase by the day and a more gloomy outlook for the country.

“Government should dedicate special attention and rate to the industrial sector and increase the take-home salary of workers in the private and public sector”, he told DAILY POST.

Similarly, Ewetumo A A, a retired staff of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria PHCN, formerly the National Electric Power Authority, said most Nigerians believe that the new tariff will be implemented across the board in a matter of time.

“The citizenry’s reaction to the recently announced increase in Electricity Tariff is both baffling and bewildering.

“The Nigerians believe it is just a matter of time before the tariff increase percolates down through the other Bands.

“Proof of this was the enthusiasm with which AEDC, EKEDC and IBEDC applied the tariff increase to all their electricity customers irrespective of their Bands before the Regulator clamped down a N200 Million fine on AEDC.

“It is true that the Federal Government has failed to honour its financial obligations to participants in the NESI, especially concerning payment for gas, GenCOs, and DisCOs.

“These lapses on the part of the Federal Government have emboldened the DisCOs to root for higher tariffs to balance their books.

“Unfortunately, higher tariffs do not necessarily translate to better services because there are two other partners, TCN and the GenCOs, who do not receive commensurate receipts from the DisCOs as monthly energy remittances.

“To improve power supply in Nigeria, a holistic approach must be implemented to address the several teething problems of the NESI.

“Gas constraints: An overhaul of our Gas two Power Policy. Increased homegrown participation in producing, processing, and distributing gas for homes, industry, and power generation.

“Presently, we are importing gas to augment our local supplies, which depend on Forex availability and rate.

“TCN Bottlenecks: an overhaul of the transmission system entails more lines, reconductoring, upgrade of power transformers, and the building of new substations.

“DisCOs rickety networks: some DisCOs have not added a single SPAN of overhead lines to their network, not to mention building new injection substations. There is an acute need to refurbish, upgrade and expand the distribution networks.

“The unending metering saga: There must be new regulations with severe sanctions for failure, flouting or by-passing the metering regulations.

“All connections must be metered; presently unmetered consumers must be metered within three years,” he stated.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending