Connect with us

News

SANWO-OLU RECEIVES PELUMI NUBI, MAKES HER LAGOS TOURISM AMBASSADOR

The 28-year-old Nubi was given a hero’s welcome at the Seme border, Badagry on Sunday by hundreds of Lagos residents, who trooped out to celebrate her courage and determination in setting a record as the first black woman to drive from London to Lagos.

Published

on

•Governor rewards her with car, house

•I feel so blessed as a Lagosian, says Nubi

 

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has named a United Kingdom-based Nigerian solo driver on a road trip from London to Lagos, Ms. Pelumi Nubi, as Lagos Tourism Ambassador.

Governor Sanwo-Olu also presented a house and a branded LAGRIDE vehicle with the customized number plate NUBI 9JA to the 28-year-old adventurer.

The Governor assured the travel content creator that the Lagos State Government would write off the entire bill for her solo drive from London to Lagos.

Governor Sanwo-Olu made the announcement when Pelumi Nubi, accompanied by her parents, Prof. Timothy and Olubukola; CEO/Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, and Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Prof. Folashade Ogunsola, among others, paid a courtesy visit at Lagos House, Marina.

Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa; London-Lagos solo driver, Ms. Pelumi Nubi and Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu at presentation of car gift to Ms. Nubi during her meeting with the governor, at the Lagos House, Marina, on Monday, 08 April 2024.

He charged Pelumi Nubi to use her platform to showcase the rich cultural values and aesthetics of Lagos to the world, which are part of her responsibilities as Lagos Tourism Ambassador.

Governor Sanwo-Olu said President Bola Tinubu is aware that Pelumi Nubi is back in the country, and the President is willing to meet with her.

He said Lagos’ gesture to the 28-year-old Pelumi is not really about the gifts and heroic welcome given to her, but to encourage more women to break barriers and compete favourably with their male counterparts in any sphere of life.

“Your experience and journey, which lasted over 68 days, are indeed very inspirational, and you have actually shifted mountains. This is indeed a true African and Lagos spirit that you demonstrated. It is a true Nigerian capability that you have demonstrated, but more importantly, this is a story of Lagos no dey carry last.

“For us in Lagos, we will work with your planners to see how we further celebrate you. And it is not really about you being the one celebrating; it is about the future. It is about the girl-child. It is about the power of possibilities. It is about the power of the mind. You are a complete African story that we can showcase,” Governor Sanwo-Olu said.

Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa; Pelumi’s father, Prof. Gbenga Nubi; London-Lagos solo driver, Ms. Pelumi Nubi; Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu; Pelumi’s mother, Bukola and Vice Chancellor of University of Lagos (UNILAG), Prof. Folasade Ogunsola during the governor’s meeting with Ms. Nubi, at the Lagos House, Marina, on Monday, 08 April 2024.

Responding to the good gesture by the Lagos State Government, the visibly delighted Pelumi Nubi, who could not contain her tears of joy, appreciated Governor Sanwo-Olu and the State Government for making her Lagos Tourism Ambassador and giving her a car and a house.

She said, “Honestly, it is just amazing feelings. I wasn’t expecting this; it was just supposed to be a courtesy visit to thank the Governor for his kindness so far. So making me a Lagos Tourism Ambassador and giving me a car, house, and many more blows my mind. I am so grateful.

“Honestly, I feel so blessed as a Lagosian. I feel so blessed that I have done this London to Lagos road trip, and my sincere thanks to Governor Sanwo-Olu, President Bola Tinubu, and everyone that has made this happen. My advice to the youth, especially girls, is, Go for it.”

Nubi appreciated Nigerians, particularly Lagos residents, for supporting her and for trooping out in large numbers to welcome her at the Nigeria/Benin Republic in Seme Border in Lagos State.

She promised that the end of her solo trip would gear her up to promote the Africa continent, Nigeria, and Lagos, especially being the commercial nerve center of the country.

London-Lagos solo driver, Ms. Pelumi Nubi kneeling to appreciate the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu while the Commissioner for Tourism, Arts and Culture, Mrs. Toke Benson-Awoyinka (right), watches in admiration, during the governor’s meeting with Ms. Nubi, at the Lagos House, Marina, on Monday, 08 April 2024.

Also speaking, the CEO/Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa applauded Pelumi for her bravery and courage, noting that her car for the trip would be placed in the Lagos Museum.

She said the Nigerian Government was solidly behind her throughout the journey, which lasted for over two months.

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Prof. Folashade Ogunsola, said Pelumi is a role model to the young generation, and that was why the institution celebrated her entry into Nigeria on Sunday.

She commended Governor Sanwo-Olu and the Lagos Government for giving Pelumi a hero’s welcome, saying the University of Lagos is proud of her.

Pelumi’s father, Prof. Timothy Nubi, also appreciated President Bola Tinubu, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, and all the government officials and institutions at the federal and state levels for their support during her daughter’s solo drive trip from London to Lagos.

Pelumi Nubi began her solo trip from London, the United Kingdom, on Wednesday, January 31, 2024, and arrived in Lagos, Nigeria, on Sunday, April 7, 2024.

Nubi’s road manifest from the United Kingdom took her through France and Spain in Europe and into Africa through Morocco. She drove across Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Togo, Benin, and finally Lagos, Nigeria.

The 28-year-old Nubi was given a hero’s welcome at the Seme border, Badagry on Sunday by hundreds of Lagos residents, who trooped out to celebrate her courage and determination in setting a record as the first black woman to drive from London to Lagos.

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending