Connect with us

News

TVC CEO Andrew Hanlon Steps Down After 7 years

Published

on

The Board of TVC Communications, owners of TVC News, TVC Entertainment channel, Max FM and Adaba FM, has announced that its Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, Mr Andrew Hanlon, will step down on April 30, 2024.

He is stepping down after seven years.

A statement by TVC on Thursday explained that Hanlon, who joined the organisation in 2017, had overseen organisational, infrastructural, and economic changes at the broadcaster.

According to the statement, “these include delivering growth of 330% across all TV, radio and social media channels from a daily audience of 5.3 million viewers, listeners and readers to 23 million by December 2023, in addition to substantial operating costs and revenue improvements, bringing the company to profitability in that time.”

Meanwhile, Deputy Chief Financial Officer, Mrs Victoria Ajayi, has been appointed CEO and MD with effect from May 1, 2024.

Paying tribute to Hanlon, the Chairman of the Board of Continental Broadcasting Services Ltd. (owners of TVC Communications), Mr Kehinde Durosinmi-Etti, said, “When Andrew joined us as Group CEO he was like a breath of fresh air and the missing link we needed. He brought his vast experience of 30+ years in the broadcasting business to bear and turned the fortunes of the group around and made it very profitable.

“His attention to detail and his proactive organisational skills ensured that the quality of our programmes and ratings improved exponentially and we became one of the biggest and most respected TV news stations and broadcast businesses in Nigeria.

Related News
VIDEO: Moment before Television Continental, Lagos went off air
‘Bourdillon’ ordered my removal from TVC, says journalist
I’ve learnt my lessons, Morayo Afolabi-Brown apologises to husband on live TV
“Andrew also demonstrated strong commitment to our 500 staff by improving pay, conditions, and general welfare by being certified twice as a Great Place to Work, making TVC Communications one of Nigeria’s best employers.

“Andrew has set a very high bar and will be replaced by our current deputy chief financial officer, Mrs Victoria Ajayi, who has proven to be steady and reliable and will have to ensure that we keep moving forward seamlessly.”

Hanlon responded, “It has been a privilege and an honour to have led TVC Communications over the past seven years having worked with so many talented and dedicated staff.

“We achieved great things as a team including the relaunch of our two TV channels, the creation of MAX FM radio in Lagos and Abuja and the launch of our social media platforms, which together, led to significant audience and revenue growth.

“I wish to thank the Board of the company for their unstinting support, and in particular, the Chairman of the Board, Mr Kehinde Durosinmi-Etti, for his guidance and encouragement.

“I also wish to express my appreciation to my senior management teams over the years who worked tirelessly with me to help achieve our goals and aspirations.”

The incoming Group CEO/MD, Ajayi, said she had the privilege of serving in the company in different capacities which led to her last role as Deputy CFO, where she had been supporting the outgoing CEO in navigating the complexities of the industry and driving the company forward.

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending