News
TINUBU, SANWO-OLU, GOVERNORS, OTHERS BID AKEREDOLU FAREWELL
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Friday, joined President Bola Tinubu, represented by his Vice, Senator Kashim Shettima, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator George Akume; Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa and other eminent Nigerians to attend the funeral service of the immediate past Governor of Ondo State, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu (SAN).
The funeral service held at the Cathedral Church of St. Andrew, Owo, Ondo State was also attended by the Chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum, AbdulRahman AbdulRasaq, Governors Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Biodun Oyebanji (Ekiti), Dapo Abiodun (Ogun), Hyacinth Alia (Benue), Peter Mbah (Enugu), Douye Diri (Bayelsa), Charles Soludo (Anambra), Sheriff Oborevwori (Delta), Godwin Obaseki (Edo) and Ademola Adeleke (Osun), among others.
Other dignitaries at the funeral were APC National Chairman, Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje, Ondo State Deputy Governor, Olayide Adelami, former Governors Segun Mimiko (Ondo), Ibikunle Amosun (Ogun), Niyi Adebayo and Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti), Chris Ngige (Anambra), Abdul’aziz Yari (Zamfara) former deputy governors, members of the federal and state cabinets, as well as members of the National and State Assemblies, among others.
The funeral service of the late Akeredolu, who was the Chancellor of the Diocese of Owo (Anglican Communion), was also attended by hundreds of Anglican and other denominational bishops and priests, religious leaders, traditional rulers, judges, lawyers, former and present public office holders, politicians and captains of industry.
The service was also attended by the widow and former First Lady of Ondo State, Mrs. Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu and her children, as well as family and friends of the deceased, people of Owo community and Ondo State.
Speaking at the service, President Bola Tinubu, represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima, said Akeredolu would be remembered for the sacrifice he made and for leaving an indelible footprint.
“Today is not only a day of mourning; today is a day of remembrance, a day of celebration of life to God and humanity. Today is a day to pay our respects. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu served passionately. He served human beings to the best of his abilities,” he said.
Governor Aiyedatiwa in his address during the funeral service described Akeredolu as a great man, courageous leader and fighter with integrity, who stood for good governance and the rule of law.
Aiyedatiwa appreciated all the dignitaries for attending the funeral service of his former boss, saying Akeredolu lives on in the heart of the people and Ondo people cannot forget him easily.
Governor Sanwo-Olu had earlier mourned the passing of Akeredolu, describing his death as a colossal loss to the country and Ondo State in particular.
Sanwo-Olu in a condolence message issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Gboyega Akosile, said Akeredolu would be greatly missed for his positive impacts in Ondo State, South-West and Nigeria as a whole.
He also commiserated with the Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, Akeredolu’s widow, Dr. Betty Akeredolu, and the entire family and friends of the deceased.
Governor Sanwo-Olu, who sympathised with the entire people of Ondo State, especially the indigenes of Owo, on the demise of their illustrious son, said Akeredolu made lots of positive contributions to the growth and development of Ondo State and Nigeria, especially in the judiciary and governance.
He said: “The death of Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu (SAN) is a colossal loss to the country, particularly the people of Ondo State. He made lots of impactful contributions during his lifetime to the growth and development of Nigeria, first as a lawyer and later as a two-term governor.
“Arakunrin Akeredolu was a courageous leader. He served the people of Ondo State passionately during his tenure as governor.
“I pray that God will grant Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu eternal rest and give his immediate family, friends, associates, and the people of Ondo State the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.”
Akeredolu, who was the immediate past Governor of Ondo State, passed on at the age of 67 at a hospital in Germany hospital, where he was receiving treatment on December 27, 2023.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News1 hour agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
News5 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
