Connect with us

News

Just In: Assembly Asks Sanwo-Olu To Summon Stakeholders’ Meeting Over Hardship In Lagos

Published

on

-invites commissioners, top officials for briefing

 

The Lagos State House of Assembly on Tuesday asked Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to urgently summon a stakeholders’ meeting to address the current hardship experienced by residents of the state in order for the government to adopt sustainable solutions beyond palliatives.

 

The lawmakers noted that though the current economic situation pervades the entire Nigeria and is mostly global in outlook, Lagos State and its local governments must do more to ameliorate the suffering in the land.

 

The House also advised leaders and statesmen to join forces with the government and play persuasive roles instead of inciting the people against the government.

 

Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa, said the situation called for a stakeholders’ meeting for the inputs of everyone including members of the National and state Assembly as well as local government chairmen.

 

“No doubt, there is a challenge before us as representatives of the people and it is the duty of all of us to proffer solutions.

 

“This is a situation that started long ago in Nigeria and was graduating. It is unfortunate that we are facing this now. The dollar issue did not start now. The prices of food and how farmers had been prevented from going to farms as a result of insecurity did not start now.

 

“The most unfortunate thing about it has to do with the comments coming from some leaders of the country. Instead of using their wisdom to appeal to the people, they use their words to incite people against the government as if they have not been in the country before now.

 

“We cannot leave the Federal Government alone to proffer solutions to our problems. There is no ‘abracadabra’ about it.

 

“The immediate concern is to appeal to our people. Protests and violence will not solve anything but take us backwards. Nobody prayed for the current situation but we must work hand-in-hand to take us away from this mess.

It is not the president’s fault, neither is it the governor’s fault,” Dr. Obasa said while commending Governor Sanwo-Olu for recently starting the Trader Money programme through which 15,000 traders have benefitted.

 

The Speaker directed that the commissioners for agriculture and transportation, Ms. Ruth Abisola Olusanya and Oluwaseun Osiyemi, respectively as well as related parastatals and agencies be invited to brief the House on their plans to make life more comfortable for the people just as he urged serious sanctions against those who hoard dollars in the country.

 

“All this while, we have been talking about sports to take our youth off the streets as we have seen in other countries. Let us inject money into it and make it attractive so that they would be engaged. Our system of education must also be adjusted to emphasise what students can become on their own without seeking or applying for jobs.

 

“There is a need for orientation and sensitisation. There are a lot of complaints and negatives out there. The government should also embark on campaigns and orientation to make the people know the real situation and what is being done. The government’s voice must be louder than those who are hell-bent on destroying the country,” Dr. Obasa said while lamenting the current prices of cement and iron even when most of the materials are locally sourced.

 

Earlier speaking under ‘Matter of Urgent Public Importance’, Hon. Segun Adebisi Ege representing Ojo Constituency 1 lamented the hardship rocking the state.

 

Ege also urged that Governor Sanwo-Olu be called upon to subsidise transportation and prices of food items in the state.

 

In his contribution, Deputy Majority Leader, Richard Adedamola Kasunmu, said there was a need for the government to bring out actionable plans to solve the economic problem in the country.

 

On his part, Hon. Adewale Temitope said the entire economic situation must be looked at holistically for a solution while Hon. Femi Saheed noted that other countries are facing the same situation with the price of a bag of rice over N120,000 in Cameroon and in Ghana, it is approximately N97,000. He emphasised the need to improve agriculture.

 

Hon. Gbolahan Yishawu stressed the need for Lagos government to prioritise power while Nureni Akinsanya of Mushin Constituency 1 advocated for food banks in Lagos State to make residents buy at cheaper rates.

 

 

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

Trending