Connect with us

News

Anxiety In Seven States As S’Court Delivers Judgement

Published

on

There is heightened security amid anxiety in some of the states where the Supreme Court judgment is expected today in the dispute over the March 18, 2023 governorship elections.

The court yesterday announced that the appeals on Plateau, Kano, Zamfara, Lagos, Cross Rivers, Bauchi and Ebonyi will be decided today.

The situation is tense, especially in Plateau, Kano and Zamfara.

Supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP) are taking different actions in preparation for the D-Day.

The police are also on high alert in these states.

Governors in the eye of the storm are Caleb Muftwang (Plateau), Abba Yusuf (Kano), Dauda Lawal (Zamfara), Babajide Sanwo-Olu (Lagos), Francis Nwifuru (Ebonyi) and Bala Muhammed (Bauchi).

They will either retain their seats today or be booted out.

Police set up water tanks in Jos

In Jos, Police water tanks were observed at strategic places to ward off those who might want to cause trouble.

The APC called its supporters to remain calm, saying “whatever direction the decision of the apex court goes,” would be welcomed.

Also, the state chapter of the PDP asked its supporters to fast and pray for divine victory.

The calls were contained in statements by APC spokesman, Sylvanus Namang and Kefas Sumdi, Personal Assistant to the state PDP Chairman, Chris Hassan.

The statement by Namang reads: “As the Supreme Court sitting in Abuja rules on the Plateau State governorship case on Friday (today), the APC in Plateau State is calling on all its members, supporters and well-wishers to be calm and refrain from any act contrary to our culture of maintaining decorum and peace in all our conducts.

“Whatever direction the decision of the apex court goes, the APC which has been a respecter of the rule of law and a strong believer in our judicial system would welcome the outcome in good faith.

“The APC enjoins security agencies to be extra vigilant to ensure that law and order is maintained.

“The party wishes to restate its position on the respect for constitutionalism and rule of law which are sacrosanct for democracy and good governance.”

Sumdi’s statement reads: “ The Chairman of the PDP, Plateau Chapter, Chris Hassan, has asked our members to offer prayer and hold a fast for a favourable judgment.

“The prayer and fasting became necessary for God to intervene in the litigation battle. God will preserve our mandate.”

Kano residents optimistic

In Kano, APC stakeholders were seen distributing souvenirs, including customised t-shirts and caps, to supporters in anticipation of the party’s victory today.

The action, however, drew the ire of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), which described it as an attempt to blackmail the Supreme Court to get a favourable verdict.

“The blackmail by the APC is a harassment of the judiciary and an attempt to heat the polity. But it will not work,” NNPP’s Acting National Chairman, Abba Ali, said in a statement.

Shortly after the development, the state Police Command Commissioner, Hussaini Gumel, and heads of security agencies met in preparation for the apex court verdict.

Gumel, who assured residents of safety, said the command had put in place measures to enable them(residents) to move about without fear.

He said: “Operational Order spelling out roles of all security personnel had been issued to area commanders, tactical commanders and divisional police officers across the 44 local government areas of the state.

“We have mobilised sufficient armed personnel to provide security at all flashpoints, including political party offices, Government House, INEC (Independent National Electoral Commission) headquarters, banks, commercial areas, mosques, churches, recreation centres and motor parks before, during and after the judgment.

“I am giving 100 per cent assurance to all law-abiding residents of the state to go about freely with their legitimate daily activities without threat to lives and property.”

He added that armed security personnel would be in all identified strategic locations to carry out surveillance duties and provide physical security during and after the judgment.

Gumel called on all residents to cooperate with security personnel and share information on any person or group planning to forment trouble.

Police ban gatherings in Zamfara

In Zamfara, the police banned political gatherings and deployed patrol vans in some hot spots in Gusau, the state capital.

Chairman of the state chapter of APC, Tukur Danfulani, advised party members and supporters to be calm and law-abiding during and after the judgment.

Danfulani appreciated the manner “our supporters have been conducting themselves even when they are provoked”.

He added: “We are calling on all our party supporters, especially the Youth Wing to remain law abiding and be prayerful for the success of the APC.”

‘Otu will win’

Cross River State, Acting Publicity Secretary of the APC, Edem Inyang, expressed confidence that Otu would retain his position.

“We are confident that the Supreme Court will concur with the justices of the lower courts,” he said.

Ebonyi calm

The situation was calm in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi State capital, with residents going about their normal businesses.

Some residents expressed the view that Nwifuru would once again triumph.

The spokesperson for the Police Command, Joshua Ukandu, said: “We can’t disclose our plans but rest assured that we shall coordinate with other security agencies to ensure security in all parts of the state before, during and after the verdict.”

News

Tragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed

Published

on

By

The Ondo State Police Command has confirmed the assassination of Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of the Agamọ community.

According to command spokesperson DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the monarch was attacked on Wednesday at approximately 7:10 p.m.

Jimoh said the information was received by the division at about 7:50 p.m. from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu,

He said the information indicated that approximately six armed men stormed the residence of the traditional ruler, forcibly took him from his compound, and subsequently fled the scene.

“The victim was later found a few metres away with gunshot wounds. He was confirmed dead at the scene.

“Upon receipt of the report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), alongside tactical teams from the command, promptly mobilised officers in collaboration with local security outfits.

“Atuluse Security, local hunters, and Amotekun operatives also assisted to comb adjoining bushes and surrounding areas in a bid to apprehend the perpetrators. Efforts are ongoing to track down and arrest the fleeing suspects.

“Monitoring and surveillance activities have been intensified across the area to ensure the safety of residents and prevent further breakdown of law and order.

“The public are assured that no stone will be left unturned in bringing those responsible for the heinous act to justice,” he said.

According to him, members of the public with credible and actionable information are urged to report to the nearest police station or contact the command.

Continue Reading

News

37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React

Published

on

By

The Federal government has remained silent after reports emerged that carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, left 37 miners dead and 25 hospitalized at a mining site located in the Zurak Wase Local Government of Plateau State.

This was disclosed in a report by a security journalist, Zagazola Makama, on Wednesday.

Sources told Makama that the incident occurred at the Solid Mining Company early on Feb. 18.

The victims are between 20 and 35 years old and were conducting routine mining operations when they inhaled toxic gas that had accumulated in the poorly ventilated tunnels, the report said.

Makama said, “The site is under strict control, and emergency protocols are being followed to manage the situation,” a source told Makama.

Meanwhile, there is no indication that the Nigerian government nor the Plateau State, and security operatives have reacted to the incident or done anything on the matter.

There are no official statements from both quarters confirming or debunking the incident as of filing this report on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

News

Dangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026

Published

on

By

Aliko Dangote, Chairman of the Dangote Group, forecasts that the naira will appreciate to N1,100 per dollar within 2026.

He shared this outlook on Tuesday during the federal government’s unveiling of the National Industrial Policy 2025.

The naira has strengthened in recent weeks, appreciating to N1,335.95 per dollar at the official market and N1,380/$ at the black market on Tuesday.

Commenting on the development, the billionaire businessman said the country has the potential to generate large-scale consumption, industrial growth, and disposable incomes.

“I mean today if you look at it, your excellency, I believe with the policies that you have implemented in government, people now have started seeing the result and manufacturers are very very happy,” Dangote said.

“Today, the dollar is N1,340. Mr. Vice-President, I can assure you with what I know, blocking all this importation and co, naira this year will be as low as N1,100 if we are lucky.

“The only thing is for maybe the government to stop the naira from getting stronger so that they will keep collecting more naira.

“But it’s a catch-22 situation where, now, if the naira gets stronger it means that everything will go down. Everything will go down because we are an import-based country which we shouldn’t be.

“What you should be is to manufacture all the things that we need.”

On February 12, Femi Otedola, the chairman of First HoldCo, expressed optimism that the naira will strengthen meaningfully and will trade below N1,000/$1 before year-end as domestic refining is fully underway.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending