Connect with us

News

Five Akeredolu’s Men Quit Aiyedatiwa’s Cabinet, Gov Shops For Deputy

Published

on

Following the demise of Governor Rotimi AkeredoluRotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State on Wednesday, no fewer than five of his aides have tendered their resignation.

Following the emergence of Aiyedatiwa as the new governor, some of Akeredolu’s aides dropped their resignation letter.

They include Akeredolu’s Chief Press Secretary, Richard Olatunde; and the ex-governor’s Special Adviser on Union Matters and Special Duties, Mr Dare Aragbaye.

Others are the Commissioner for Infrastructure Lands and Housing, Mr Aminu Raimi; the Special Assistant on Photography, Mr Olawale Abolade; and the Senior Special Assistant on Special Duties and Strategy, Dr Doyin Odebowale.

The development indicated that they were not ready to work with the new governor. Some of them cited their loyalty to Akeredolu as the reason for their resignation.

In his letter of resignation addressed to the office of the Secretary to the State Government, made available to our correspondent on Thursday, the infrastructure and housing commissioner said his resignation was dictated by his conscience.

“I write to tender my resignation of appointment as Commissioner For Infrastructure, Lands and Housing with effect from today, 28 December 2023.

“This decision is anchored on my conscience, as my leader and dear boss, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu, SAN, CON joined the Saint Triumphant.

“I sincerely thank our dear Arakunrin and the good people of the state for the opportunity to serve in his cabinet as Senior Special Assistant on Lands and infrastructure, Special Adviser on Lands, Works and Infrastructure and Commissioner for Infrastructure, Lands and Housing,” Raimi said.

In his own letter, the Senior Special Assistant on Special Duties and Strategy, Adebowale, said: “I write to notify your office of my intention to resign my appointment as the Senior Special Assistant on Special Duties and Strategy to the Governor of Ondo State with immediate effect.

“I use this medium to thank the government and the people of Ondo State for the rare privilege offered for service.”

Meanwhile, one of Aiyedatiwa’s allies, which did not want to be named, said the aides of Akeredolu resigned for fear of being victimised by the new governor.

“They resigned out of fear of victimisation which I don’t believe the governor would have time to do. I would like to tell you that more are still going to resign,” the source said.

There was a rancour in the cabinet before Akeredolu died.

While Akeredolu was abroad receiving treatment, Aiyedatiwa had functioned as acting governor, but some of the cabinet members did not cooperate with him.

Amid a move by the state Assembly to impeach Aiyedatiwa, he had openly tendered an apology to Akeredolu, pledging his loyalty.

Akeredolu’s Senior Special Assistant on Special Duties and Strategy, Odebowale, in a statement, rebuffed Aiyedatiwa’s apology, insisting that then deputy governor must be impeached.

Meanwhile, it was gathered on Wednesday that Aiyedatiwa had begun to shop for a deputy governor.

A source in the governor’s office said the governor might pick one of the cabinet members, adding that Aiyedatiwa had been holding meetings with the political stakeholders in and outside the state in his search for a suitable and loyal deputy governor.

According to the source, the governor is looking towards either the northern or central senatorial districts of the state.

The source in the governor’s office listed possible choices as the Chief of Staff to the former governor, Chief Olugbenga Ale; and the Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Mr Razak Obe.

The source said, “In a couple of days, the deputy governor will be announced. The governor is still searching for a person who will be very loyal and supportive. He is very likely to pick among the ones that are very loyal to him in the cabinet of the late Governor Akeredolu.

“He has been meeting with some APC leaders in the southern senatorial district on the matter.”

However, when contacted the Chief Press Secretary to Aiyedatiwa, Mr Ebenezer Adeniyan, declined comment on the matter.

“I can’t comment. We are still mourning,” he said.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending