News
Invaders Killed My Father, 10 Family Members During Fresh Plateau Massacre – Photographer
A photographer in Plateau State, Mandong David, on Tuesday, narrated how he lost his 11 family members to coordinated attacks carried out by gunmen in several communities of the state on Christmas Eve.
The PUNCH reports that over 20 villagers were affected during the attacks which occurred in the three local government areas of the state including Barkin Ladi, Mangu, and Bokkos.
More than 150 persons were killed in the attacks while properties worth millions of naira were destroyed
David, who spoke with The PUNCH in Jos on Tuesday after the victims were given a mass burial, said that the pains of loving close family members had been traumatic for him.
David said, “I lost eleven close family members in the attacks among them was my father, five uncles, and four cousins as well as my aunt.
“They are Prince David Jalang (father), Emmanuel A. Jalang, Fidelis S. Jalang , Gaius Adamu, Matawal Gaius, Solomon Langwen,Mafulul Langwen, Mahanan Maryom,Nafor J. Makut, Mildred J. Makut and Maren P. Masok.
“From what I gathered, they were all in Maiyanga village in the Bokkos Local Government when the attackers came. My father and 18 other villagers started running when the attackers started setting houses on fire and shooting anyone who tried to escape.
“They have actually left Maiyanga village but unknown to them, other gunmen who were laying ambush on the road shot and killed all of them. Their death was quite tragic. We just returned from their mass burial today.”
Meanwhile, more than 10,000 displaced persons are currently taking refuge at different locations including schools, churches, and mosques as well as private residents following the attacks
Places housing the internally displaced persons in the Bokko LGA included Malja’u Sunnah schools, Jibrin Abubakar’s residence, the Christ Apostolic Church District headquarters, Church of Christ in Nations, ECWA Church, and Saint Peters Catholic Church.
A resident of Bokkos and Chairman of Community Peace Observers in the Council Area, Kefas Mallai, told our correspondent that many of the villages had been deserted as those who escaped relocated to the Bokkos town
Mallai said “We have over 10,000 displaced persons right now in Bokkos alone. Many of them are in churches and mosques including schools and private residents. What we have here is a humanitarian crisis. The people need help because we learnt that even today, the assailants are still attacking some villages in the area”
Meanwhile, the state Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, on Tuesday condemned the attacks on the communities in Bokkos, Mangu, and Barkin-Ladi local government areas of the state.
He noted the attacks had resulted in the tragic loss of several lives and destruction of property.
Mutfwang emphasized the resilience of the Plateau people in the face of the unprovoked assaults and called for united efforts to identify and apprehend those responsible for these heinous acts.
In a statement in Jos on Tuesday, the governor said more than 20 villages had been deserted, with numerous houses destroyed and millions of naira worth of property lost.
Mutfwang acknowledged President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s support for the Nigerian Army in maintaining security. He also commended the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Taoreed Lagbaja, and the Commander Operation SAFE HAVEN for their commitment to addressing various security challenges facing Plateau and the nation.
He stated, “It is disheartening that we have lost numerous lives due to incessant attacks in Mangu, Bokkos, and Barkin-Ladi. These senseless and unprovoked acts are unnecessary and unjustifiable. I appeal to the sponsors of these attacks to reconsider, as there is nothing to gain from such violence. The spirit of the Plateau people will not be broken.”
The governor praised the bravery and sacrifices of security personnel, acknowledging the injuries sustained by some during efforts to secure the affected villages.
While expressing sympathy for the affected families and communities, Mutfwang urged citizens to stand strong, assuring them that the government was actively working to address the situation. He called upon the National Emergency Management Agency and the state Emergency Management Agency to swiftly respond to the humanitarian crisis resulting from the attacks.
Also, the governor, in an interview with Channels Television on Tuesday, said, “The only guarantee is that the security agencies do their work. When people resort to self-help, it tends to degenerate into lawlessness.
“This is what we want to avoid because it is not as if the people who are being attacked cannot defend themselves, but they are being killed because they want to be obedient and law-abiding. And it may get to the point that we may not be able to restrain them from also resorting to defending themselves.
As a government, we will continue to ensure that those charged with the constitutional responsibility of protecting lives and property do it as efficiently as possible to avoid pushing people into the temptation of taking laws into their own hands.
Meanwhile, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Abbas Tajudeen, has condemned the attacks.
Abbas in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Musa Krishi, described the attacks as barbaric and heinous
He noted with concern the trend of attacks by gunmen, bandits, and other criminals, who kill innocent Nigerians for fun.
He charged the security and intelligence agencies to forestall further loss of lives and property on the Plateau and other parts of the country even as he urged them to go after the perpetrators of the dastardly act, apprehend and bring them to book.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News10 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News6 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment7 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
