News
Rivers Crisis: We Won’t Return To PDP — Defected Lawmakers
Enemi Alabo George, one of the 25 members of the Rivers State House of Assembly who dumped the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the All Progressives Congress (APC), has said they all have no plan to return to the PDP.
He also said Governor Siminalayi Fubara signed the eight-point resolution at the Presidential Villa on Monday, contrary to insinuations that he didn’t sign the document, adding that the governor even gave a speech after he signed.
Speaking in an interview on Channels TV on Wednesday night, George, who is the chairman of the House Committee on Information, insisted that there was division in the PDP and that there was no going back on their decision.
Asked if the 25 members would return to the PDP since a peace deal had been brokered between the warring parties, George stated, “We have crossed that Rubicon. We are not going back there. No, we moved to the APC. Other than the division issue in our party, we voted for Mr. President, and if we found the President worthy of our vote, then I think we should find him worthy of our support.
“We have moved over to join his ‘Renewed Hope Agenda’ and we are hand in glove with him to ensure that the expectations of Nigerians are fulfilled. So, we have moved to the APC, we are working with Mr. President, we have crossed that Rubicon and there is no going back for us.”
George also spoke on the controversy that surrounded the eight-point resolution presided over by President Bola Tinubu, with many describing the document as mere paper that has no legal backing, while some described the President as a dictator.
He stressed that the governor signed the document.
When asked about the peace meeting and the number of people present, he said there were a lot of people at the meeting, adding, “I’m sure we were between 100 and 200, but I’m not certain about that (figure). We had members of the House of National Assembly, members of the House of Assembly, the governor, commissioners, the deputy governor, elder statesmen, two former governors, traditional rulers, chairman of the Rivers State Traditional Rulers Council, elders and opinion leaders in the state. It was massive.”
Asked if the governor signed the document, he stated, “This was how it went; for every item that was considered, the President gave both parties the option of controverting or agreeing. So each item was deliberated upon. So, for item one, they would ask, do you agree, then people would respond ‘yes I agree’, or ‘no I don’t agree’. Same for other items until the items were exhausted.
“At the end of all the deliberations, parties were asked to come up and append their signatures to that document. Then Mr. President said, ‘do I have your approval to release this document to the press?’ Everybody echoed yes, so everybody signed on the document and then we moved forward.
“The governor was there, the governor signed, the governor made a speech after the meeting that he was committed to the agreement. Mr. Speaker (Martins Amaewhule) also made a speech and committed to accepting all the terms of the agreement and committing to work with that document.”
Rivers Lawmakers Withdraw Impeachment Notice Against Gov. Fubara
Meanwhile, twenty-four lawmakers of the Rivers State House of Assembly led by Rt. Hon. Martins Amaewhule as speaker on Wednesday withdrew their impeachment notice on the Governor Siminalayi Fubara.
The lawmakers loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, had on October 30 attempted an impeachment on the state governor, sparking a leadership tussle at the state Assembly.
Rt. Hon. Martins Amaewhule and Rt. Hon. Ehie Edison had been at loggerheads over the speakership of the House.
Four lawmakers loyal to the governor following the failed impeachment attempt, convened and impeached Amaewhule from the position of the speaker and elected Edison the new speaker.
This was as a state High Court presided over by Justice M.W. Danagogo recently recognised Edison as the authentic speaker of the House.
A statement signed by Martins Wachukwu, media aide to the speaker, Rivers State House of Assembly, on Wednesday, stated that the lawmakers took the decision at a plenary held at the auditorium of the House of Assembly Quarters on Aba Road, Port Harcourt.
The statement said the move was in pursuance to the truce between Governor Fubara, Nyesom Wike and the Martin Amaewhule led lawmakers brokered by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on December 18 in Abuja.
According to the statement, Hon. Martin Chike Amaewhule, while reading a letter on the floor of the House, signed by 24 members, recalled that on October 30, 2023, a notice of impeachment signed by 24 members of the House pursuant to Section 188 of the 1999 constitution as altered was read by him, accusing the governor of gross misconduct.
Amaewhule emphasised that the lawmakers following their immense respect for the president decided to abide by the terms of agreement he brokered without delay, adding that the House would continue to perform its constitutional functions of law making and oversight for the development of the state.
The statement noted that the House considered further report of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Aleto Oil Spill, recalled that in August, 2023 the committee submitted its report on an oil spill in Aleto community caused by equipment failure.
Remarking on the report, Amaewhule commended the committee for following up the resolutions of the House on the initial report and urged the committee to continue and ensure that proper and full remediation is effected.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News10 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News6 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment7 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
