News
Zero Allocation: Ogun LG Chair Impeached, Slams Abiodun
The councillors of the Ijebu East Local Government of Ogun State, on Thursday, impeached the suspended chairman of the local government, Wale Adedayo, over allegations of financial misappropriation and diversion of council funds, among other allegations made against him.
This was according to a statement by the leader of the legislative council of the LGA, Fasheyi Akindele.
Meanwhile, Adedayo after his appearance before the councillors said he was not fighting any personal cause with the government in power in the state, but fighting for the good people of the local government.
The LGA’s statement read, “The councillors of Ijebu East Local Government of Ogun State earlier today impeached the suspended chairman of the local government, Wale Adedayo, over allegations of financial misappropriation and diversion of council funds, among other allegations made against him.
“After a series of invitations by the House, which were ignored in the past, Adedayo eventually appeared before the legislative council today as the councillors continued their probe of the chairman.
“The suspended chairman owned up before the full House of 11 councillors that he diverted federal allocations sent to the council by the state government and used them for purposes other than what the state government approved.
“Adedayo also agreed that he spent the council funds till August 2023, even when the budget was yet to be approved, whereas the law only allows him to spend till March 2023.
“Adedayo also opened up that he used N5.2m to produce 20 pieces of chairs and tables instead of the 290 chairs that the money was meant for as approved by the state government.
“On the issue of illegal levies and strikers to commercial transport operators in the local government, Adedayo said he thought the House had passed the Bill to that effect, but the Leader of the House reminded him that a Bill if passed by the House, would have been jointly signed by the leader of the House and the council chairman.
“That the chairman has run afoul of the laws of the land, specifically the Ogun State Local Government Laws 2006 and committed serious impeachable offences was therefore established.
“After about three hours deliberation, the impeachment of the chairman was put to votes. Five councillors voted for his impeachment, four voted against, with one abstention.
“Therefore, the leader of the House pronounced Mr Wale Adedayo impeached as the Chairman of Ijebu East LG.”
Adedayo had earlier in the morning appeared before the legislators of the local government to defend the allegation of financial misappropriation and maladministration levelled against him.
Our correspondent gathered that Adedayo arrived at the local government secretariat in the company of his two aides around 7.4.7am. He was called to appear before the councillors around 10.22am and came out around 12.02pm.
The councillors were said to have been brought into the local government in a white Coaster civilian bus with Reg N OGUN AH 782 DED guarded by the police in a white Toyota Hilux patrol van.
At least about 40 security officers drawn from the Nigeria Police Force, the Directorate of State Security Services, and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps were reported to be on the ground to maintain law and order.
Adedayo, while speaking on his appearance before the councillors said he was not fighting any personal cause with the government in power in the state, but fighting for the good people of the local government.
He said, “I was at Ogbere this morning to honour the invitation of the legislative council. I did not go in with any documents. I referred them to all files in the office to guide them in the investigation.
“I’m aware they were being sponsored from Abeokuta, but they denied it. The bus that brought them into the council secretariat is from Abeokuta. It belongs to the state government. I don’t have any issue with that.
“I told them to be thorough in their investigation because posterity will judge each and every one of us. I am not fighting for myself. I am doing this in the interest of Ijebu East Local Government.
“Meanwhile, I got information now that after I left the place, the Leader of the House pushed a motion for impeachment. Five of the councillors along with the Leader supported the motion.
“I told them this morning they were acting a script written by those in Abeokuta. All the documents about the allegations against me are in the office. But I know Mr Governor is offended that we opened up to the public about how the Federal Allocation belonging to Ijebu East Local Government was being spent.
“I have done my duty as an Afenifere by letting our Leader know why we have not been able to do much since we got into office. The rest is for the court to decide.”
Councillors of Ijebu East Legislative Council had recently suspended the chairman for three months citing alleged maladministration and financial malpractices and directed the Vice Chairman of the council to take over pending the conclusion of its investigation.
The suspension of Adedayo came on the heels of a letter he had written to a former governor in the state, Chief Olusegun Osoba, alleging that the state governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, had hijacked funds meant to develop the local government totalling about N10.8bn while also forwarding a petition to the anti-graft agencies over the same allegations.
The Joint Account and Allocation Committee in the state saddled with the responsibility of managing the local government federal allocations has, however, dismissed the allegation, affirming that every fund approved by the committee passed through the various Local Council Accounts.
The state government, while speaking on the allegation of local government fund diversion as alleged by Adedayo, had insisted that no dime of the local government was missing and that it had always augmented the allocations for the council areas otherwise it would have been practically impossible for them to meet up with their financial obligations.
Meanwhile, sources within the government said the state government knew nothing about the impeachment as the matter was purely between the impeached LG boss and the lawmakers who were only doing duties as enshrined in the constitution.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News1 hour agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
