Connect with us

Health

Fake Doctor Nabbed At Covenant University During Job Interview

Published

on

A fake doctor identified as Abawulor Omenka has been caught by the Association of Nigerian Private Medical Practitioners while trying to apply as a medical officer at the Covenant University Medical Centre, Ota, in the Sango area of Ogun State.

According to PUNCH Healthwise, Omenka had applied for the position of a Medical Officer and reportedly presented fake credentials, which included a photocopy of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria registration certificate issued in 2015.

The 35-year-old suspect also presented a certificate from the Benue State University where he claimed to have obtained a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, and graduated with a Second Class Upper Division.

It was gathered that the suspect, who works as an auxiliary nurse at some private hospitals, was caught during a job interview held at the Covenant University Medical Centre while being scrutinised by three doctors about his credentials.

Omenka’s cover was blown after he failed to justify why his MDCN registration number was the same as those who got the certificate four decades ago.

A source told our correspondent that the suspect during interrogation confessed to having obtained the fake certificates from racketeers at Oluwole in Lagos State.

The source said, “The man first went to Covenant University Health Centre last week to apply for the post of Medical Officer.

“The MD of the centre, Dr. Ademola Adebanjo, suspected foul play and scheduled him for an interview this week.

“He then reached out to Dr. Kayode Oyelade, the Chairman of ANPMP, Ogun State chapter about his suspicions. So Dr. Oyelade and Dr. Akin Oyejoko, an executive of the association sat in the interview panel yesterday to be able to get to the root of the matter. That was how he was nabbed.”

The Chairman, Association of Private Medical Practitioners in Ogun State, Dr. Kayode Oyelade confirmed to PUNCH Healthwise that Omenka was caught after doctors who conducted the interview discovered he did not have full knowledge of the profession.

Fake doctor nabbed at Covenant University during job interview

He said the doctors that drilled the suspect during the job interview, discovered many discrepancies in the credentials presented.

Oyelade revealed that when some of the hospitals where the suspect claimed to have worked were contacted, Omenka was identified as a health assistant by his former employees.

He said, “The man actually applied to work as a medical officer at Covenant University Medical Centre where students, staff and some residents of the community go for medical treatment.

“Immediately they got his application, and the medical director discovered that the CV and certificates presented were questionable, being a medical doctor himself, he contacted me. I told him to invite the guy for an interview. The interview was scheduled and it was conducted on Wednesday at the office of the MD.

“We made the guy very comfortable and we started asking him a series of questions. He gave us a background history of himself and all the places he had worked. We now asked him if he attended a university, and he said he went to Benue State University.

“We asked him about the courses he did in the university, and he was just saying things he knew nothing about. We discovered in the course of our interview that he has an idea because he has worked in some hospitals as an auxiliary nurse.

“In fact, he had worked at the hospital owned by some of our colleagues that we know. We put a call across to them and two of them actually confirmed that they knew him very well. I told them he was trying to apply as a medical officer, and they told me he worked with them as an auxiliary nurse or better put, as a hospital assistant.”

On how he was caught, Oyelade explained, “ What gave him up were the certificates he presented. Omenka presented a photocopied certificate he claimed to have obtained from the university with a Second Upper Division in Medicine and Surgery.

“If you are conversant with a medical certificate, you will know there is nothing like grade. When you are given a certificate as a doctor, it will just be specified that you have passed when you certify the examiner. There is nothing like first class or second class. Our certificate is not graded. Immediately, he presented that, and we knew it was fake.

“He also presented a certificate he claimed to have got from MDCN, we saw that one and we just laughed. The registration number is 11,641. I graduated 32 years ago from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife and my number is 20, 815. And someone who claimed to have graduated in 2015 is 11,000, which means he graduated before me. I am sure that some of the people with that number are dead now.

“We called one of the doctors again and he told us that this is not the first time he would be involved in such a thing.”

Oyelade further revealed that the suspect had been handed over to the police at Onipanu Police Station, Ota in Ogun State.

He added that the association would ensure the suspect is charged to court and made to face the full wrath of the law to serve as a deterrent to others.

Reacting, the Chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association, Ogun State Chapter, Dr. Azim Kunle Ashimi advised heads of hospitals, both private and public to be very vigilant when employing doctors, adding that proper background checks should be carried out.

He also reiterated the commitment of the ANPMP and Nigerian Medical Association in Ogun State to collaborate with the state ministry of health to stamp out quackery in the state.

 

Health

FG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension

Published

on

By

The Federal Government is leading a nationwide push to cut excessive salt intake, blaming its high consumption for rising cardiovascular disease in the country.

Mr Victor Osuagwu, Scientific Officer at the Department of Food and Drug Services of the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, spoke during an outreach programme at Oke Arin Market in Lagos on Wednesday.

The programme, in partnership with the Centre for Communication and Social Impact (CCSI), combined grassroots market activations with social media engagement to address what he described as a silent public health crisis.

“We are trying to create awareness to public on what the Federal Ministry of Health is doing on the initiative that we are taking in trying to reduce salt.

“We are also making people aware of the dangers of excessive salt intake.”

He lamented that many Nigerians did not even read the labels of the things they bought, however, he was optimistic that with education and sensitisation, changing behaviour would be gradual.

“We are trying to do it step by step, until every Nigerian is aware.”

Also, Dr Olawale Ogulana, a medical doctor, health advocate and brand ambassador for CCSI, stressed the need to cut dependence on high-sodium seasoning cubes.

He also linked it to the rising hypertension rates in the country.

He urged households to return to traditional cooking methods and natural spices such as ginger, garlic and onions.

He warned that the growing preference for quick meals was eroding healthier culinary traditions.

“As a medical doctor, I will encourage using natural spices in your meals.

“We are not saying that your meals should not be tasty, but it shouldn’t be with high levels of sodium, because that in itself will put us at risk”.

He noted that excessive salt consumption was putting millions of Nigerians at risk of hypertension, stroke and kidney damage, urging citizens to monitor their daily intake and read food labels carefully.

“Elevated salt consumption is a risk factor for hypertension or high blood pressure,” he said, noting that many people were unaware of the World Health Organisation’s recommendation of no more than five grams of salt a day, about a teaspoon.

Ms Anna White-Agbo, Media and Programme Officer at CCSI, explained that tailored communication and social media outreach were part of the campaign strategies to drive the messages to the grassroots on different health programmes and shift public behaviour on health.

She noted that the campaign had been running for over a year, “driving it majorly on social media’’.

However, she said that there were new communication products from the event to be duplicated on diverse platforms.

“In Lagos, the goal is to record health advice for at least 500 people, with a stretch target of 1,000.

“If God willing, and I have enough time, I don’t mind hitting 1,000 records” she said.

(NAN)www.nannews.ng

 

Continue Reading

Health

Three – Day Strike Looms As Lagos Doctors Issue Warning

Published

on

By

Medical doctors employed by the Lagos State Government have announced a three-day warning strike scheduled to commence at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 28, 2025, in protest against what they described as the “unlawful and disrespectful” deduction of their salaries by the state.

Operating under the Medical Guild, the doctors said the strike action follows failed efforts to resolve the dispute through dialogue. The industrial action is expected to conclude by 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 31, 2025.

At a press briefing held at the Guild’s secretariat in Lagos, the chairman, Dr Japhet Olugbogi, explained that the impasse began in April 2025 when the state government unilaterally deducted salaries from medical and dental officers without prior consultation.

He noted that although many of their members initially demanded an immediate strike, the Guild’s leadership opted to pursue a more diplomatic route through negotiation and advocacy.

“Following persistent engagement, the deductions were reversed, and a six-member conciliation committee, comprising representatives from both the Guild and the government, was set up,” Olugbogi said. “It was agreed that all parties would maintain the status quo until a resolution was reached.”

However, the Guild accused the Lagos State Treasury Office of violating the agreement by implementing another round of deductions in July, which triggered the decision to embark on the warning strike.

The Guild is demanding:

An immediate reversal of the July salary deductions

Full payment of 12-month revised CONMESS arrears owed to honorary consultants at Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH

The union also issued a 21-day ultimatum, warning that failure to meet its demands could lead to an indefinite strike.

Dr Olugbogi expressed deep concern over the growing instability within the state’s health sector, exacerbated by economic hardship and the ongoing exodus of medical professionals from Nigeria.

“It is disheartening that the most senior medical doctor in the Lagos State system earns less than $1,100. Instead of supporting our members, the government is cutting from their already inadequate income. This cannot be allowed to continue,” he said.

He appealed to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to intervene urgently to prevent a collapse of healthcare delivery across the state.

According to the Guild, more than 385 doctors participated in the emergency congress where the strike was ratified unanimously.

The Guild’s Secretary, Dr Adekunle Akinade, confirmed that the union is prepared to escalate its measures if the government does not respond swiftly to their demands.

Continue Reading

Health

Diphtheria Outbreak: Lagos Government Activates Emergency Response

Published

on

By

Lagos State Government has activated its Emergency Response Committee following a diphtheria outbreak in the boarding house of King’s College, Lagos, Victoria Island Annex.

The Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, confirmed the outbreak and assured the public that the situation was under control.

He urged residents to avoid panic as the government intensified measures to contain the infection.

The outbreak was first detected on February 22, when a 12-year-old student presented symptoms and was admitted to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).

Despite receiving treatment, he succumbed to myocarditis, a severe complication of the infection, on March 6.

Health officials identified 34 close contacts, with 14 developing symptoms. Of these, 12 were admitted for treatment and are recovering.

The government has begun strengthening infection prevention measures at the school and plans a targeted vaccination campaign for students and healthcare workers.

Abayomi emphasized the importance of hygiene, early detection, and vaccination to prevent further infections.

The state has 500,000 doses of diphtheria vaccine ready for deployment in high-risk areas.

The Emergency Operations Centre will meet daily to assess and respond to the situation.

Health authorities, including WHO, NCDC, and NPHCDA, are collaborating with the Lagos State Government to curb the outbreak and protect residents.

 

Continue Reading

Trending