News
Tinubu Meets Adamu, Omisore, ‘Resolves’ Rift Over Principal Officers
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has resolved the crisis rocking the All Progressives Congress (APC) over the principal officers of the ruling party at the National Assembly, JomogNews Nigeria reports.
A fresh crisis erupted in the ruling party on Tuesday when the National Chairman, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, rejected the principal officers of the party announced by both the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas.
Akpabio and Abbas had announced the principal officers of the APC, including the majority leaders, chief whips and their deputies during the plenary.
But shortly after the announcement, Adamu was quoted as saying the list did not emanate from the party although the governors of the party under the aegis of Progressive Governors’ Forum (PGF) endorsed the new officers.
The national chairman, who spoke during a meeting with the PGF led by Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State on Tuesday, said he was not aware of the development.
“I am just hearing it as a rumour from the online media that there have been some announcements in the Senate and House of Representatives.”
“The national headquarters of the party, the NWC has not given any such information or communicated about the choice of offices,” Adamu stated on Tuesday.
His statement created tension in the ruling party. Yesterday, President Tinubu summoned Adamu and the party secretary, Dr Iyiola Omisore, to the State House, Abuja, where the issue was discussed.
At the end of the meeting, there was no official statement from the presidency on the matter. A source said the president was embarrassed by the development.
Another source told this paper that at the meeting, the president endorsed the actions of the Senate President and the Speaker on the principal officers.
When contacted, however, the national chairman told one of our correspondents that the matter had been resolved.
“We have met the president and the issues have been resolved. It’s a family affair and there were some misunderstandings. We have been able to resolve our differences.
“Those who are eager to see the continuation of the conflict, they should please sheathe their swords. We have a complete understanding now.
“The president is the leader of our great party; we met him and we are very satisfied with the discussion we had with him on the subject matter. As far as we are concerned, the issues have been laid to rest,” he said.
Tinubu’s men unhappy with Adamu
Meanwhile, chieftains of the APP loyal to Tinubu are unhappy with Adamu, and they are rooting for his ouster, Daily Trust can report.
Several sources close to Tinubu in Lagos, his home base, said it is high time the national chairman was eased out because he could no longer be trusted.
Some of the Tinubu loyalists said it was wrong for the party’s chairman to have publicly dismissed the list of officers which the president, who is the leader of the party, must have endorsed.
Many loyalists of the president said the posture of the national chairman had shown that “he cannot be trusted.”
A prominent chieftain of the party who spoke with our correspondent yesterday accused Adamu of nursing grudges against Tinubu after winning the election.
“Don’t forget the national chairman never supported Asiwaju (the president) during the primary. He supported Senator Ahmed Lawan, the former Senate President. So I think he cannot be trusted to lead the party now that Asiwaju has been sworn in,” the source said.
A chieftain of APC in Lagos, Mr Joe Igbokwe, who spoke with our correspondent in Lagos, reiterated that Adamu’s time is up as the party’s chairman.
He said, “He was supposed to have been removed that time when he supported Ahmed Lawan but APC managed the matter. We can’t trust him.”
Igbokwe, a former spokesman of APC in Lagos, said even if the chairman was not satisfied with the list of principal officers released yesterday, he should not have made it public.
“In all honesty, we can’t trust him again. He was managed for us to come out of the election. Now is the time to ease him out but I know Asiwaju knows what to do,” he said.
A former chairman of the party in Lagos, Chief Henry Ajomale, said there is a limit to the party’s interference in the affairs of the National Assembly.
According to him, the interference of the party should have stopped at the level of nominating the presiding officers for the two chambers of the National Assembly.
He said, “I believe that the party’s main duty is to nominate the presiding officers like the Senate President, Deputy and the Deputy Speaker. I think the others are supposed to be internal so that within themselves they can choose those who are going to occupy the principal officers’ positions because they know themselves more than the party.
“I believe they should be given an opportunity, since they know one another, to pick these themselves.”
But the Chairman of the Governor’s Advisory Council (GAC) in Lagos, Prince Tajudeen Olusi, called for calm, saying the party remains one.
He said the national chairman, like other members of the party, has the right to express his opinion which he has exercised.
Olusi said, “Any member of the party, including the national chairman, is at liberty to express his dissatisfaction in respect of any action or purported action taken by the party.
“Our party is a well-organized party and if there are issues to be resolved, we shall be resolving them amicably.”
Olusi stated that the president, as the leader of the party, is capable of resolving any dispute within the party.
“The president is blessed with the ability to run organisations and we have many responsible leaders within the party. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing to bother about,” he added.
Another chieftain of the party in one of the South-West states, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the national chairman should stop his opposition against the president.
“I am not happy with his comments. It is a well-established principle that the president is the leader of the party. Why should it be during Tinubu that we would have a national chairman who is not in good terms with the president? We need to act fast as a family,” he said.
It’s not about Adamu but North – Former gov, other
But sources close to Senator Adamu said the horse-trading in the party was not about the national chairman but the North.
One of them, a former governor, said, “Look, it is not about Abdullahi Adamu alone. It is about the survival of the North. Of course, power has shifted to the South but the North is a major stakeholder. It is with the support of the North that power shifted to the South, and therefore, when it comes to the allocation of positions, the North should have a say. It is about our people.
“People might not understand what is happening until much later. But as you can see, the president called the national chairman today (yesterday) and they spoke. They understood themselves and the problem is over unless something new comes up,” he said.
Another source said the misunderstanding at the party is a natural occurrence.
“Leaders must disagree to agree later. It is not good for the system that those that control power should always have their way.
“Powerful forces are supporting Adamu, we are with him. He is not alone. What we are doing is to strengthen the ruling party and by extension entrench good governance for the benefit of all,” the source said.
News
37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React
The Federal government has remained silent after reports emerged that carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, left 37 miners dead and 25 hospitalized at a mining site located in the Zurak Wase Local Government of Plateau State.
This was disclosed in a report by a security journalist, Zagazola Makama, on Wednesday.
Sources told Makama that the incident occurred at the Solid Mining Company early on Feb. 18.
The victims are between 20 and 35 years old and were conducting routine mining operations when they inhaled toxic gas that had accumulated in the poorly ventilated tunnels, the report said.
Makama said, “The site is under strict control, and emergency protocols are being followed to manage the situation,” a source told Makama.
Meanwhile, there is no indication that the Nigerian government nor the Plateau State, and security operatives have reacted to the incident or done anything on the matter.
There are no official statements from both quarters confirming or debunking the incident as of filing this report on Wednesday.
News
Dangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026
Aliko Dangote, Chairman of the Dangote Group, forecasts that the naira will appreciate to N1,100 per dollar within 2026.
He shared this outlook on Tuesday during the federal government’s unveiling of the National Industrial Policy 2025.
The naira has strengthened in recent weeks, appreciating to N1,335.95 per dollar at the official market and N1,380/$ at the black market on Tuesday.
Commenting on the development, the billionaire businessman said the country has the potential to generate large-scale consumption, industrial growth, and disposable incomes.
“I mean today if you look at it, your excellency, I believe with the policies that you have implemented in government, people now have started seeing the result and manufacturers are very very happy,” Dangote said.
“Today, the dollar is N1,340. Mr. Vice-President, I can assure you with what I know, blocking all this importation and co, naira this year will be as low as N1,100 if we are lucky.
“The only thing is for maybe the government to stop the naira from getting stronger so that they will keep collecting more naira.
“But it’s a catch-22 situation where, now, if the naira gets stronger it means that everything will go down. Everything will go down because we are an import-based country which we shouldn’t be.
“What you should be is to manufacture all the things that we need.”
On February 12, Femi Otedola, the chairman of First HoldCo, expressed optimism that the naira will strengthen meaningfully and will trade below N1,000/$1 before year-end as domestic refining is fully underway.
News
Defend Our Sovereignty: Falana, Ibrahim, Bugaje Reject US Military Presence
A group of Nigerian leaders, including Femi Falana and Jibrin Ibrahim, has condemned the recent deployment of U.S. troops as a violation of national sovereignty and a dangerous precedent for foreign meddling.
The backlash follows the arrival of U.S. military aircraft last week, part of a mission involving roughly 200 American soldiers tasked with advisory and training roles.
While U.S. officials describe the steady influx of personnel as a temporary counter-terrorism support measure, critics argue the presence of foreign forces undermines the country’s independence.
But Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ) insisted that the US personnel are technical specialists serving strictly in an advisory and training capacity not combat troops and that all activities will be conducted under the authority, direction, and control of the Nigerian government in close coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
In a joint statement titled “No to Foreign Forces in Our Land: Defend Our Sovereignty”, the group said the presence of US soldiers in Nigeria raises serious constitutional and sovereignty concerns.
The statement was jointly signed by Femi Falana (SAN), Prof Jibrin Ibrahim, Dr Abubakar Siddique Mohammed, Dr Dauda Garuba, Prof Massaud Omar, Prof Mohammed Kuna, Engr YZ Ya’u, and Dr Usman Bugaje.
They recalled Nigeria’s historical resistance to foreign military domination and warned against what they described as a creeping neo-colonial arrangement.
“Nigeria’s history is replete with principled resistance to foreign military domination. At critical moments, our leaders civilian and military alike have asserted our sovereignty and rejected external interference. That legacy must not be abandoned,” the statement said.
They recalled the Anglo-Nigerian Defence Pact of 1960, which was abolished in 1962 following widespread public opposition. “Political independence without military sovereignty is incomplete,” the statement noted, stressing that Nigerians had always resisted external interference in military affairs.
The group also cited Nigeria’s role in rejecting American pressure during the 1976 Organisation of African Unity (OAU) summit on Angola.
At the time, General Murtala Mohammed famously declared that “Africa has come of age and would no longer operate under the orbit of any extra-continental power. His words were not mere rhetoric but a declaration of continental dignity and sovereign equality.”
The signatories highlighted what they described as a troubling pattern of attempts to impose military agreements on Nigeria. “In 2001, a proposed Military Cooperation Agreement between the United States and Nigeria was withdrawn after strong opposition from Nigeria’s Ministry of Defence,” they recalled.
Similarly, in 2003, Nigeria signed a Bilateral Immunity Agreement (BIA) with the United States, shielding American citizens from surrender to the International Criminal Court. “By 2005, the Nigerian Senate nullified the agreement, citing constitutional violations and inconsistency with the Rome Statute,” the group said.
“These episodes demonstrate a consistent national principle: foreign military arrangements must comply with Nigeria’s Constitution and must never compromise our sovereignty,” they added.
They cited Section 12(1) of the 1999 Constitution, which provides that no treaty between Nigeria and another country shall have the force of law unless enacted by the National Assembly.
The statement rejected any suggestion that Nigeria’s Armed Forces are incapable of defending the country. “Nigeria’s Armed Forces have a distinguished record in international peacekeeping under the United Nations and the African Union,” it said, citing Nigeria’s leading role in ECOMOG operations in Liberia and Sierra Leone.
“Rather than outsourcing our security, Nigeria should fully equip and modernise the Nigeria Police Force and the Armed Forces, strengthen intelligence coordination, improve welfare and morale of troops, invest in domestic defence production, and address socio-economic drivers of insecurity.”
They warned that sovereignty is not a ceremonial concept but the foundation of statehood. “Once foreign troops are stationed on national soil without transparent constitutional processes, sovereignty is diluted—incrementally, perhaps quietly—but meaningfully.
“Nigeria must not drift into arrangements that future generations will struggle to reverse. History teaches us that sovereignty surrendered in the name of expediency is rarely easily reclaimed,” the statement said.
They also urged the federal government to remain consistent with Nigeria’s tradition of rejecting neo-colonial defence pacts and unconstitutional agreements.
‘US security help has not improved any country’
Prof Jibrin Ibrahim, in an interview with Daily Trust, expressed worry that Nigerians appear less vigilant about potential defence arrangements compared to the 1960s, when the Anglo-Nigerian defence pact with the United Kingdom faced widespread public resistance.
“I’m concerned that, as we point out right from the 1960s, when the defence pacts were proposed by the government, there was resistance by the Nigerian people. They complained, they criticised them, they objected, and that led to the government backing down,” he said.
He lamented what he described as growing public indifference, noting that many Nigerians now argue that any foreign assistance, particularly from the United States, should be welcomed if it promises to address insecurity.
“Today, many people are saying that if the Americans are offering to help, why not accept it? But there is a lot of ignorance about the implications,” he added.
Prof Jibrin questioned the track record of U.S. military involvement abroad, arguing that American security interventions in other countries have not necessarily resulted in lasting peace or stability.
“In which country has America offered to help in security, led to improved security? There is none in the world. All their external involvements have been to deepen insecurity, rather than to improve the security situation,” he said.
-
News1 day agoLagos DSVA Appeals For Help To Reach Survivor After Viral TikTok Rape Allegation
-
News2 days agoNational Assembly Under Siege As Demonstrators Demand Passage Of Controversial Bill
-
News1 day agoDSS Witness Details How ISWAP Unit Planned And Executed Owo Church Massacre
-
News2 days agoPolaris Bank Launches Global Gift Card Feature On VULTe
-
Breaking News2 days agoReps Plenary Turns Chaotic As Motion To Rescind Electoral Act Amendment Sparks Row
-
News1 day agoRamadan 2026: Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon, Holy Month Begins Wednesday
-
News20 hours agoDefend Our Sovereignty: Falana, Ibrahim, Bugaje Reject US Military Presence
-
News15 hours agoDangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026
