News
Boat Mishap: Anger, Blames As Over 100 Wedding Guests Die In Kwara
Monday June 12, 2023, will linger for a long time in the history of the people of Patigi Local Government Area of Kwara State.
While Nigerians were eagerly waiting to celebrate the June 12 Democracy Day declared as a public holiday by the Federal government, tragedy struck in the area as a boat overloaded with 270 wedding guests capsized killing about 106 persons between Niger and Kwara state on the River Niger.
About 144 persons survived the boat accident which occurred at about 3 am according to local authorities and a police report.
The 270 wedding guests were returning from a marriage ceremony at Gboti in neighbouring Niger State to Patigi Local Government in Kwara State when the tragic incident occurred on the fateful day.
According to a police account, 61 persons from Egbu village died in the mishap, 38 from Dzakan village, four from Kpada, two from Kuchalu, and three from Sampi village.
According to DAILY POST, the boat hit a tree amid strong waves leading to the overloaded boat capsizing.
The passengers of the boat, mostly local people, were without life jackets hence the high casualties recorded in the incident.
Chairman, Transition Implementation Committee of Patigi Local Government Council, Mohammed Ibrahim Liman, told DAILY POST in an interview on Thursday that 106 persons died in the boat accident, while 144 survived.
He said the rescue operation had been concluded and the survivors, mostly women and children reunited with their families after medical attention.
Liman disclosed that three villages affected by the incident included Kpada, Ebu and Dzakan in Patigi Local Government of Kwara state, while six persons from two villages in Kogi state also lost their lives.
The Area Manager, National Inland Waterways Authority, in charge of Niger-Kwara areas, Akapo Adeboye, while reacting to the incident, attributed the boat mishap to overloading and turbulent winds.
“This is a very sad situation that is avoidable, because what led to it was due to overloading of the boat by the operators, they want to make more money and overload their boats.
“We have educated them through messages in English, Hausa and other languages spoken in this area, but they won’t listen.
“We even set up a safety unit and when we apprehend any defaulter, we sanction them through payment of fines up to N100, 000.
“Despite all our efforts at making sure that they comply with the safety standards that they must have life jackets, lifebuoys and other safety equipment on board, many of the operators just choose the easiest way out by travelling at night just because they want to avoid our monitoring and safety patrol,” he added.
Meanwhile, in a swift move to avert future occurrence, the Kwara state Governor, Malam Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, while on a condolence visit to families of the victims, announced safety measures to be taken by the government on water travels in the state.
He said the government will send legislation to the parliament that will impose punishments and fines for violations of the safety protocol.
Speaking during his visits to Kpada and Duro, the headquarters of Ebu and Dzakan communities whose residents perished in the boat accident, Governor Abdulrazaq said, “measures will be taken as we are having discussions with Nigeria Inland Waterways Authority on enforcement of safety codes. We will also be sending a team to Lagos state on how their waterways law works.
“Our immediate step is to deliver at least 1,000 life jackets to support safe travels on water in the area.”
“In addition to whatever safety measures that are in place, the government will design and roll out some statewide standard operating procedures for water travels to cover issues of boat serviceability, speed and loading limits and wearing of life jackets by all passengers. This will be the new irreducible minimum,” the Governor declared.
In his own reaction, the Managing Director of Hydroelectric Power Producing Areas Development Commission, HYPPADEC, Abubakar Yelwa, also blamed the high fatality recorded in Monday’s boat accident on failure of the victims to wear life jackets.
He stressed the need for a law that will make it mandatory for boat passengers across the country to always wear life jackets.
Yelwa also called for a law to restrain boat operators from operating at night, lamenting that the N1.6b life jackets procured last year for the use of boat passengers were not utilised.
“I want to call on the relevant authorities to legislate a law that will make the use of life jackets compulsory for boat passengers, as well as restrain the boat operators from operating at night.
“If the victims had worn life jackets and the accident occurred in broad daylight, the fatality rate would have been very minimal,” Yelwa asserted.
Meanwhile, condolence messages on the tragedy have continued to pour into the communities from prominent Nigerians across the country.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, former Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki, Speaker of the Kwara House of Assembly, Engr Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, Emir of Ilorin, Dr Ibrahim Sulu Gambari, Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun state and former governor of Anambra state, Peter Obi, among others, condoled the families of the victims, the Etsu Patigi, and the people of the communities, describing the incident as tragic and unfortunate.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News9 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News5 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment6 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
