Connect with us

News

Sit-At-home: Ohanaeze Throws Weight Behind Enugu Govt

Published

on

Apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council Worldwide, has thrown its weight behind the efforts of the Enugu State Government to end the Sit-at-home in Enugu effective from Monday 5th June.

The group has equally appealed to all Biafra agitators to live true to their stand that the sit-at-home hitherto imposed on the South-East region had been cancelled.

Ohanaeze’s call is sequel to the directive by the Enugu State Government that all government, business, and educational activities should resume this Monday across the State.

In a statement made available to journalists Sunday night, the National President of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council Worldwide, Mazi Okwu Nnabuike, condemned the attempts by people it described as infiltrators into the Biafra agitation to destroy Igbo land.

He said that it was sad that months after the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, cancelled the Monday sit-at-home after discovering its devastating effects on the South-East economy, some enemies of Ndigbo had carried on with it.

Okwu said, “Now that the Governor of Enugu State has again made an appeal for the sit-at-home to end, in the collective interest of the people, our passionate appeal to all the agitators, the IPOB, the MASSOB, the Author Pilot, the Zionists and a host of others, is that they should sheath their sword and allow normalcy to return.

“We cannot continue to allow that which has gravely hurt and destroyed Igbo lives, economy, and image to fester. This is certainly not what Biafra stands for.

“We have been making demands for the unconditional release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and it will not end; we are not going to relent until the federal government does the needful. But we should not destroy our land in the process.

“All the leaderships of the various Biafra agitators should, therefore, align themselves with the decision of the Government of Enugu State; they should not maintain grave silence, but appeal to their followers not to do anything that would further put the lives of our people in jeopardy.

“The Governor’s statement is clearly an appeal and all lovers of Igbo land should see reasons with him.

The Ohanaeze youths, however, equally appealed to the Enugu State Government to work towards the immediate release of agitators arrested in the State during the May 30 Biafra Day celebrations so that everybody could be on the same page in the efforts to enthrone a new order of calm, enterprise and free movement of persons, goods and services throughout Enugu State and Igbo land.

“This will further prove that the government is pro-masses and is committed to the welfare and safety of the people,” Okwu declared.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending