Connect with us

News

Bolanle Raheem: Defendant, Drambi Vandi Closes Defence

Published

on

A police officer, Drambi Vandi, who allegedly shot and killed a Lagos-based lawyer, Bolanle Raheem, on Christmas Day, closed his defence before a Lagos High Court, Tafawa Balewa Square on Wednesday.

Vandi is standing trial on a count charge of shooting and killing a Lagos-based lawyer, Mrs Raheem, on Dec. 25, 2022, in the Ajah area of Lagos.

At the resumed hearing, the defendant’s counsel, Mr Jude Ugwu, led him in evidence.

Vandi told the court that he had never come across the bullet that was shown in court as the alleged murder weapon.

He said that the bullet was not the same ammunition in his rifle on the day of the incident.

Vandi narrated how he attended a local training school where he learned about arms and ammunition.

He said that the police are always given training every five months on rifles to refresh their memories.

The defendant said it was in the training school that he learnt about the different types of rifles, pistols and ammunition.

The defendant counsel, however, requested the court to produce exhibit P11(a), the bullet and magazine containing six bullets which is exhibit P19.

The witness, therefore, told the court that a portion of P19 was a shell of an assorted rifle used in an AK-47 rifle, noting that the exhibit was used in a long-range bullet.

He explained that the bullet shown in court could cover over 500 metres.

“If you line up ten people, this particular bullet will go through all of them.

“When it is shot at a close range, it can’t remain inside the person’s body and any object at close range, it must penetrate through it.

“It must pass through at least four objects. This is not the ammunition in my rifle on Dec. 25, 2022.

“The rifle is automatic. To use this bullet, you must cork the rifle and anyone around that area will hear the noise of the cork,” the defendant said.

He said that immediately the rifle was fired, the shell would fall right on the ground near the person that fired it and would remain at that point.

Vandi claimed that he had never seen the bullet until it was tendered in court.

The witness also said that the exhibit was not the type of ammunition used by the police.

When cross-examined by the Director of Public Prosecution, Dr Babajide Martins, the witness said that on Dec. 25, 2022, he was on duty at Ajah underbridge.

The witness said that he was on duty with a rifle which had 25 rounds of ammunition.

He explained that he had signed and booked the rifle from the armourer.

He also told the court that he was not the only officer that was armed on that particular day.

Vandi also narrated how he was arrested, detained and how he wrote his statement after the incident.

“I wish the deceased is alive and I regret her death. May her soul rest in peace,” he concluded.

The defendant counsel had earlier announced to the court that the defendant was their only witness.

He, however, prayed the court to give them 21 days to file and adopt their written addresses.

After listening to evidence, Justice Ibironke Harrison directed the parties to exchange their written addresses.

Harrison, however, adjourned the case until July 13 for adoption of final written addresses.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending