News
Doctor Olaleye Denies Wife’s Sexual Assault Allegation
The Medical Director of Optimal Cancer Care Foundation, Dr Olufemi Olaleye, on Friday, told an Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court that the allegation of sexual assault against him was fabricated by his wife, Remi.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the defendant made the claim while being led in evidence by his counsel, Mr Babatunde Ogala (SAN).
He was charged with sexually assaulting his wife’s 16-year-old niece (name withheld).
The pathologist and entrepreneur said that he had been married to Oluremi for 12 years and the marriage produced two children, aged eight years and 12 years.
He testified that his marriage to Oluremi was laced with lies from her.
He added that Oluremi had extramarital affairs.
“I confronted her when she cheated on me with her ex-boyfriend. She also took a loan to buy a car without my consent.
“After two years in our marriage, we were separated for 12 months due to various lies she told me.
“Her educational background is false. She gave me a fake school certificate copy which I submitted to my lawyer,” he said.
According to him, his alleged victim/survivor, who was 18 years when she started living with his family, was brought against his consent.
The doctor said that the alleged survivor came to the house alongside his late mother-in-law when she was sick.
The defendant said that the mother-in-law left a note which was read to him and a few members of the family to the effect that the alleged survivor should be sent back to the village.
He said: “My late mother-in-law, in the note she left behind, said we should return the girl back to the village.
“Most of us laughed at the note because we did not know what she meant.
“I was in court when the girl said that I defiled her but, my lord, this is not correct. It is full of lies and fabrications.
“Remi made an arrangement for her to start school but I raised an objection because we did not have any external member with us, but she insisted, owing to the fact that the girl had failed her WAEC examination and she wanted her to re-take it before going back to Sapele.’’
According to the medical director, the alleged survivor lived with his family from November 2019 to November 2021.
“She stayed in the same room (guest room) my late mother-in-law used, but slept at night in the children’s room,” he said.
He told the court that he shared the same bedroom with his wife on the second floor of their two-storey building and had 16 Close Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras installed in the house.
“For security purposes, I installed four internal and four external CCTV cameras but shortly after the girl started living with us, my wife compelled me to install additional eight cameras.
“The CCTV cameras cover all angles, every room with the exception of toilets. There are two CCTV cameras in my bedroom alone,” he said.
The defendant told the court that he left the house on Nov. 27, 2021, because he had a fight with his wife due to her insistence that her name should be in the documents of the house.
“I had just finished paying all encumbrances and she saw that her name was not included. I today her it is my property but it is for her and my children. This led to a fight.
“I got upset and told her I was no longer interested in the marriage. I came to the house on the Nov. 28, the following day, and my children drew my attention to the fact that there had been a serious beating of the girl by their mother and that I should go check the CCTV.
“This was where I saw a brutal assault lasting for over 10 minutes with iron and hammer on the girl.
“An attempt to find out what transpired led to insults, she threatened that she was going to repeat the same treatment to the girl if I continued to question her.
“So I drove out of the house with the young girl,” he said.
The defendant further told the court that he returned home in the evening and met his wife and her Aunt Tessy discussing in their native language which he did not understand.
“It was dawn on me after their discussion that they were formulating plans, bringing up issues of I possibly molesting the girl, an accusation I find very embarrassing and evil.
NAN reports that Remi, on Dec. 19, 2022, told the court that her husband was diagnosed with sex addiction.
The defendant’s alleged offences violate Sections 137 and 261 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Justice Ramon Oshodi adjourned the case until May 22 for the continuation of trial.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News10 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News6 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment7 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
