Connect with us

News

Lagos Assembly Says 2023 Election Free, Credible

Published

on

– Congratulates Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu, Obasa

– Condemns hate speeches, ethnicity, tribalism, religious sentiment

Members of the Lagos State House of Assembly on Monday congratulated Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Kashim Shettima for winning what lawmakers described as a free and credible 2023 presidential election.

The House also congratulated Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat while calling Speaker Obasa a ‘record breaker’ for being re-elected a sixth time to represent Agege Constituency 1 at the House.

The lawmakers further resolved to send congratulatory messages to the President-elect, the Governor of Lagos State, and the elected members of the National Assembly, while the House would send a commendation letter each to President Muhammadu Buhari, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the security agencies for their roles at ensuring a peaceful general election, especially in Lagos State.

While commending the electorate for voting during the exercise, the House further admitted that the election has become an opportunity for elected official to learn some lessons going forward.

“I think this is an opportunity for our political scientists to x-ray the situation. This was an election where some sitting governors lost to opposition.

“The election has come and gone but there is a need to look again at ourselves to see what we have left undone and what we need to sustain, how we can manage the social contract we have with the people,” he said.

Dr. Obasa noted that even the United States that is considered a leading democracy still conducts elections that some some candidates challenge as not perfect.

“I am saying this to those who have been beating drums of war and anger. We must learnt to endure and accept the outcomes of election but that does not mean we cannot legally challenge the outcome. We need to be more patriotic, we have a nation that we must protect, we have had an election and it is worthy,” he said.

“We need to call everyone to order that the process of election is what everyone must comply with.
The Muslim-Muslim ticket was a bold one and had those who favoured it and those who were against it, but at the end, the election has happened. “It was a good election and it was successful.”

For those sponsoring inciting comments on social media, Obasa urged for caution reminding them to understand that freedom of expression also has limitations.

“We must give kudos to President Buhari for being upright during the election and also commend INEC and the people who voted.

“For us at the Lagos Assembly, the election went well as we had 38 and we hope that the remaining two will join us after exploring legal means to recover their victories. Lagos also got 20 elected House of Representatives members and the three senators.

“It shows that the people of Lagos love us and support what we are doing right,” he said as he thanked Agege people for returning him to the House.

Earlier, the lawmakers who took turns to speak about the election, expressed optimism that the administration of Asiwaju Tinubu would liberate citizens from the shackles of poverty, divisive tendencies and youth restiveness.

Leader of the House, Hon Sanai Agunbiade, moving a motion under ‘Matter of Urgent Public Importance’, observed that despite the peaceful nature of the elections, there had been lots of dust that needs to be addressed.

According to him, “We need to conscientise ourselves, not to enable the haters and those who are peddling rumours to incite members of the public. Elections are over but national healing is necessary. We should encourage members of the public not to join in hot arguments.”

Other lawmakers including Yinka Ogundimu, Bisi Yusuff, Setonji David, Adedamola Kasunmu and Victor Akande, congratulated Obasa for his victory noting that his leadership of the House produced a Senator and Rep member-elect.

The lawmakers also expressed confidence in him saying they would love him to lead the House in the 10th Assembly.

Eromosele Ebhomele
Chief Press Secretary to the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending