Connect with us

Health

Cough Syrups Kill 300 Children In Three Countries – WHO

Published

on

The World Health Organisation (WHO), says 300 children have died due to the use of contaminated cough syrups in three countries.

WHO issued a medical product alert on October 5, 2022, focused on the Gambia regarding four products — Promethazine Oral Solution, Kofexmalin Baby Cough Syrup, Makoff Baby Cough Syrup, and Magrip N Cold Syrup.

It issued another alert on November 6, 2022, focused on Indonesia concerning about eight products — Termorex syrup (batch AUG22A06 only), Flurin DMP syrup, Unibebi Cough Syrup, Unibebi Demam Paracetamol Drops, Unibebi Demam Paracetamol Syrup, Paracetamol Drops (manufactured by PT Afi Farma), Paracetamol Syrup (mint) (manufactured by PT Afi Farma), and Vipcol Syrup.

On January 11, it also published an alert focused on Uzbekistan regarding two products — AMBRONOL syrup and DOK-1 Max syrup.

The organisation in a statement said over the past four months, countries have reported several incidents of over-the-counter cough syrups for children with confirmed or suspected contamination with high levels of diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol.

It said the contaminants are toxic chemicals used as industrial solvents and antifreeze agents that could be fatal even taken in small amounts, and should never be found in medicines.

“Last year, WHO raised the alarm by issuing medical alerts in October focused on the Gambia, in November about Indonesia, and earlier this month regarding Uzbekistan,” the statement reads.

“The cases in these three countries are associated with more than 300 deaths, but we know that at least seven countries have been affected. Most of the deaths have been in children under the age of five

“WHO’s medical product alerts were rapidly disseminated to the national health authorities of all 194 WHO member states.”

The WHO said since the incidents were not isolated, various key stakeholders engaged in the medical supply chain should take immediate and coordinated action.

“WHO calls on regulators and governments to detect and remove from circulation in their respective markets, any substandard medical products that have been identified in the WHO medical alerts referred to above as potential causes of deaths and disease; ensure that all medical products in their respective markets are approved for sale by competent authorities and obtainable from authorised/licensed suppliers; assign appropriate resources to improve and increase risk-based inspections of manufacturing sites within their jurisdiction in accordance with international norms and standards,” the statement reads.

It added that governments should “increase market surveillance including risk-based targeted testing for medical products released in their respective markets including informal markets; and enact and enforce, where relevant and as appropriate, laws and other relevant legal measures to help combat the manufacture, distribution and/or use of substandard and falsified medicines”.

Health

FG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension

Published

on

By

The Federal Government is leading a nationwide push to cut excessive salt intake, blaming its high consumption for rising cardiovascular disease in the country.

Mr Victor Osuagwu, Scientific Officer at the Department of Food and Drug Services of the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, spoke during an outreach programme at Oke Arin Market in Lagos on Wednesday.

The programme, in partnership with the Centre for Communication and Social Impact (CCSI), combined grassroots market activations with social media engagement to address what he described as a silent public health crisis.

“We are trying to create awareness to public on what the Federal Ministry of Health is doing on the initiative that we are taking in trying to reduce salt.

“We are also making people aware of the dangers of excessive salt intake.”

He lamented that many Nigerians did not even read the labels of the things they bought, however, he was optimistic that with education and sensitisation, changing behaviour would be gradual.

“We are trying to do it step by step, until every Nigerian is aware.”

Also, Dr Olawale Ogulana, a medical doctor, health advocate and brand ambassador for CCSI, stressed the need to cut dependence on high-sodium seasoning cubes.

He also linked it to the rising hypertension rates in the country.

He urged households to return to traditional cooking methods and natural spices such as ginger, garlic and onions.

He warned that the growing preference for quick meals was eroding healthier culinary traditions.

“As a medical doctor, I will encourage using natural spices in your meals.

“We are not saying that your meals should not be tasty, but it shouldn’t be with high levels of sodium, because that in itself will put us at risk”.

He noted that excessive salt consumption was putting millions of Nigerians at risk of hypertension, stroke and kidney damage, urging citizens to monitor their daily intake and read food labels carefully.

“Elevated salt consumption is a risk factor for hypertension or high blood pressure,” he said, noting that many people were unaware of the World Health Organisation’s recommendation of no more than five grams of salt a day, about a teaspoon.

Ms Anna White-Agbo, Media and Programme Officer at CCSI, explained that tailored communication and social media outreach were part of the campaign strategies to drive the messages to the grassroots on different health programmes and shift public behaviour on health.

She noted that the campaign had been running for over a year, “driving it majorly on social media’’.

However, she said that there were new communication products from the event to be duplicated on diverse platforms.

“In Lagos, the goal is to record health advice for at least 500 people, with a stretch target of 1,000.

“If God willing, and I have enough time, I don’t mind hitting 1,000 records” she said.

(NAN)www.nannews.ng

 

Continue Reading

Health

Three – Day Strike Looms As Lagos Doctors Issue Warning

Published

on

By

Medical doctors employed by the Lagos State Government have announced a three-day warning strike scheduled to commence at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 28, 2025, in protest against what they described as the “unlawful and disrespectful” deduction of their salaries by the state.

Operating under the Medical Guild, the doctors said the strike action follows failed efforts to resolve the dispute through dialogue. The industrial action is expected to conclude by 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 31, 2025.

At a press briefing held at the Guild’s secretariat in Lagos, the chairman, Dr Japhet Olugbogi, explained that the impasse began in April 2025 when the state government unilaterally deducted salaries from medical and dental officers without prior consultation.

He noted that although many of their members initially demanded an immediate strike, the Guild’s leadership opted to pursue a more diplomatic route through negotiation and advocacy.

“Following persistent engagement, the deductions were reversed, and a six-member conciliation committee, comprising representatives from both the Guild and the government, was set up,” Olugbogi said. “It was agreed that all parties would maintain the status quo until a resolution was reached.”

However, the Guild accused the Lagos State Treasury Office of violating the agreement by implementing another round of deductions in July, which triggered the decision to embark on the warning strike.

The Guild is demanding:

An immediate reversal of the July salary deductions

Full payment of 12-month revised CONMESS arrears owed to honorary consultants at Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH

The union also issued a 21-day ultimatum, warning that failure to meet its demands could lead to an indefinite strike.

Dr Olugbogi expressed deep concern over the growing instability within the state’s health sector, exacerbated by economic hardship and the ongoing exodus of medical professionals from Nigeria.

“It is disheartening that the most senior medical doctor in the Lagos State system earns less than $1,100. Instead of supporting our members, the government is cutting from their already inadequate income. This cannot be allowed to continue,” he said.

He appealed to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to intervene urgently to prevent a collapse of healthcare delivery across the state.

According to the Guild, more than 385 doctors participated in the emergency congress where the strike was ratified unanimously.

The Guild’s Secretary, Dr Adekunle Akinade, confirmed that the union is prepared to escalate its measures if the government does not respond swiftly to their demands.

Continue Reading

Health

Diphtheria Outbreak: Lagos Government Activates Emergency Response

Published

on

By

Lagos State Government has activated its Emergency Response Committee following a diphtheria outbreak in the boarding house of King’s College, Lagos, Victoria Island Annex.

The Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, confirmed the outbreak and assured the public that the situation was under control.

He urged residents to avoid panic as the government intensified measures to contain the infection.

The outbreak was first detected on February 22, when a 12-year-old student presented symptoms and was admitted to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).

Despite receiving treatment, he succumbed to myocarditis, a severe complication of the infection, on March 6.

Health officials identified 34 close contacts, with 14 developing symptoms. Of these, 12 were admitted for treatment and are recovering.

The government has begun strengthening infection prevention measures at the school and plans a targeted vaccination campaign for students and healthcare workers.

Abayomi emphasized the importance of hygiene, early detection, and vaccination to prevent further infections.

The state has 500,000 doses of diphtheria vaccine ready for deployment in high-risk areas.

The Emergency Operations Centre will meet daily to assess and respond to the situation.

Health authorities, including WHO, NCDC, and NPHCDA, are collaborating with the Lagos State Government to curb the outbreak and protect residents.

 

Continue Reading

Trending