Connect with us

News

‘It Was An Open Chest Injury’ – Hospital Reveals Why Bolanle Raheem Was Referred

Published

on

Before Bolanle Raheem, the lawyer shot by a police officer, was confirmed dead at Grandville Hospital, she had been taken to two other places — Budo Specialist Hospital and Doren Specialist Hospital — both located along Lekki-Epe expressway in the Ajah area of Lagos state.

On Thursday, TheCable visited both hospitals to understand what transpired regarding the medical treatment of the deceased.

BACKGROUND

Raheem was, on Sunday, shot dead when she was returning home from a Christmas outing with her family. The incident has sparked widespread criticism, while Drambi Vandi, the officer at the centre of the shooting, has been suspended and is currently in detention.

Recounting what transpired after the shooting, Gbenga Raheem, the deceased’s husband, said Bolanle was initially taken to Budo Hospital, after which she was referred to Doren Hospital.

“We headed to Budo Hospital. On getting there, I brought her out. They said they could not handle it and that we should go to Doren hospital,” Gbenga had said.

“Then we went to Doren. They tried to put bandages and cotton wool on her chest. They asked what happened. I said the police shot her. They tried to put oxygen on her because she said she couldn’t breathe. They tried to put syringe on her hand too.

“They eventually said since it is a bullet thing, they can’t handle it; that I should take her to Grandville Hospital at VGC. On getting there, they declared that she was no more.”

‘SHE NEEDED URGENT SURGERY’

There have been speculations over whether the deceased was initially denied medical treatment — an action contrary to the provisions of the Treatment and Care for Victims of Gunshot Act, 2017. The law provides for immediate treatment of gunshot victims, with or without police clearance.

Speaking with TheCable, Adewoye Rotimi, medical director of Budo Specialist Hospital, said the lawyer was referred because of the nature of the injury.

Front view of Budo Hospital

“She was referred to another hospital. There is a serious difference between ‘rejected’ and ‘referred’. We don’t reject any patient here,” he said.

“When we saw the extent of the injury, we knew we couldn’t handle it. The case was an open chest injury by gunshot. The whole chest was scattered by the gunshot and it would require a cardiothoracic surgeon.

“It is an open chest injury, which we don’t have the capacity to handle. On that note, we told them to urgently take her to another facility.

“We knew that it was a cardiothoracic surgery issue. There was no point pretending that we could do something about it. If you saw the extent of the wound, only a cardiothoracic surgeon could do something about it. The heart and everything had been punctured. It was a close shot into the chest. The chest was scattered.”

The medical doctor added that the deceased was gasping for breath when she was brought into the hospital.

Meanwhile, when TheCable visited Doren Hospital, the reporter was directed to the administrative department.

Doren Hospital

At the admin department, a female personnel, who declined to mention her name, was asked why the lawyer was referred.

“The media cannot approach a hospital for a patient’s personal record. It is more or less a personal record that you are demanding,” the hospital official said.

DOES NIGERIA HAVE ENOUGH CARDIOTHORACIC SURGEONS?

In line with the concerns raised by Budo Specialist Hospital, Raheem may have stood a chance of survival if she underwent prompt cardiothoracic surgery.

Cardiothoracic surgeons specialise in operating on the heart, lungs, and other thoracic (chest) organs.

As recently as February 2022, Peter Adeoye, a professor of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH) — in an interview with Tribune — had expressed concern over the ratio of surgeons to patients in Nigeria.

“A lot of things are going on in this country with surgery in general. In Kwara state, we have only two cardiothoracic surgeons. I used to be the only one until 2021. Between 2006 and 2008, I was the only thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon in Kwara and Kogi states,” he had said.

“In the whole of Nigeria, we are about 75 now for a population of 200 million. Out of this figure, only about 52 percent are actively practising, as many end up in institutions that do not have the instruments for them to do the work.”

As the investigation into the death of Raheem continues, it further calls into question the concerns raised by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) over brain drain and the likelihood of Nigeria needing to “import doctors” in the future.

-CABLE

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending