News
Crisis Brews In Kwara Fulani Community Over Detention Of Kidnap Suspects
There is a major crisis within the entire Fulani community in Kwara State and some members of Miyetti Allah over alleged attempts to release and terminate a criminal case against one Hardo Usman Adamu and others in detention.
Adamu and other suspects were arrested over allegations of kidnapping for ransom.
The Miyetti Allah group had written a letter to Governor Abdulrahaman Abdulrazaq of Kwara State, threatening that they would withdraw their support and not vote for his re-election in the 2023 general elections unless Adamu and others were released.
DAILY POST reports that the letter purportedly written by the Miyetti Allah, which claimed that it had the consent and the authority of the entire Fulani Community in Kwara State, sought among others, the discharge and acquittal of Hardo Usman Adamu and others on all the allegations levied against them.
“That Hardo Usman Adamu and others should be released forthwith as they are innocent of the charges against them which are capital in nature or go into full trial.
“That the entire Fulani community and its members would withdraw their support to Governor Abdulrahaman Abdulrazaq at the next election, if their demands were not met,” the letter written by the Miyetti Allah group added.
However, in a counter letter to the governor by the entire Fulani Community in Kwara State, signed by 11 signatories after an emergency meeting on December 14, 2022, in Ilorin, the body dissociated itself from the purported letter by the Miyetti Allah, describing it as blackmail.
“To the dismay of the Fulani community leaders and its teeming members present at the meeting, the letter itself and the content came to them as a surprise as no consent, authority and permission of any Fulani community leader or its member in Kwara State were sought and obtained before the letter was written,” it declared.
The Fulani community leaders resolved that the State government should let the will of justice take its course by allowing Hardo Usman Adamu and others now standing trial before the High Court in Ilorin prove their innocence of the alleged offence against them, as it would enhance the image of other Fulani leaders and their teeming members in Kwara State who are law abiding citizens.
“It is our fervent belief that the judicial system in Kwara State and Nigeria as a whole will vindicate any innocent person unlawfully charged for the offence which he did not commit or partake in after full trial.
“We are of the belief that releasing him without proving his innocence or facing trial will further destroy the image of each and every Fulani member in the entire nation.
“It is high time to redeem our image and prove that the Fulani people are not criminals, but a hardworking tribe from time immemorial,” the group said.
The Fulani community leaders pledged not to interfere with any allegation against any of its members unless it is obvious that the allegation is unfounded against such a person.
The body affirmed its unflinching support to the governor saying, “we enjoy your administration and have always supported you from inception till date due to your consistency in infrastructural development, provision of adequate security, education and all other social amenities made available to the people of Kwara State, hence we support your re-election.”
The Fulani community leaders said its members had been warned at different fora to desist from involving in any form of criminality and that anybody arrested whether rightly or wrongly for any offence should defend any allegation levied against them at the court of law in view of the fact that the Nigerian society now sees everybody of Fulani heritage to be a criminal.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News13 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News9 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment10 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
